
The rip heard around the gymnasium
Hanna was in a program at school called NOVA. It's a drug prevention class that all 6th grade participates in and if you complete all the requirements, you "graduate". Hanna was very sick with bronchitis and double ear infections but claimed that NOVA grad was super important so I picked her up from home so that she could come to school for it. Our fabulous aide Nellie watched my class for me so I could do all this. As I was walking into the gymnasium, I had to step over a woman's purse and as I was doing that, my skirt split up the back. I bought this skirt at The Gap outlet for about $7. Actually I bought two. The first one ripped when I was getting on my bed. So I'd been trying to be extra careful with my remaining skirt. Fortunately, I had brought my phone with me and texted another teacher who sent someone down with a coat I could wrap around me. I was able to change when I took Hanna home. I guess it wasn't that dramatic but the ripping sounded really loud in a quiet gymnasium.
The secret ingredient is resentment
Lately I've been noticing couples arguing a lot in public. It's not like Ryan and I never disagree but I try to keep it in the privacy of home and car so no one can hear me yelling. I'm kidding. Is Costco really the place you want to be-little your husband by telling him, in a very demeaning manner, that he must "Never buy these juice boxes. They are pure sugar! Pure sugar!" BTW, those are the juice boxes we buy. We like sugar. This weekend I heard a conversation at The Rack that made me cringe. They were shoe shopping for their little kids and this is kind of how it went.
Wife: No, he can't have those shoes. He doesn't know how to tie his shoes.
Husband: Maybe if he has a pair he has to tie, he'll learn.
Wife: I KNOW MY SON! He will not wear those!
Husband: Why not? He likes them.
Wife: I KNOW MY SON! He will never wear those shoes.
This went on for awhile until I moved to another rack and wasn't able to eavesdrop anymore. My son? Um, what a strange thing to say, since I'm pretty sure he is "their son". When I hear couples talking to each other like this it makes me wonder what their marriage is like. Are they super unhappy and just keep on hanging on because that's what they think they should do. Then I get all down thinking about all these unhappy marriages. Not like my marriage is awesome fun balls all the time but I like Ryan as a person and when I hear these conversations it's hard for me to imagine these people like each other.
Who are you calling an old bag?
To end on a positive note, in less than 2 weeks, Ryan and I will be in Mexico. I can't express the joy this knowledge brings me. Yesterday we had inside recess because of a "winter storm" which is funny because it's SPRING! Oh and Ryan turns 40 on Friday. Kind of a big deal I guess. He's hoping it suddenly makes him look old and distinguished so if you see him, tell him as much. I'm glad he's the one turning 40 and not me. Because isn't being 40 like having one foot in the grave?
6 comments:
I.had.a.comment,but.then.I.saw.the.last.line.and.my.comment.disappeared.from.my.brain.
Sorry.for.the.dots.my.laptop.hates.me.and.won't.let.me.make.spaces.between.words.
Stinks when people argue in public, I agree--they are probably much worse in their homes.
You will have a fun spring break--bet you won't be too grumpy then ;)!
It's so unfair that men seem to get better looking with age...distinguished and classier looking anyway. We're the ones busting our butts at the gym just trying to keep up - seriously! Very unfair (and my husband is 2 years younger then me so I might as well just pack in the towel now...) LOL! Thank goodness he insists he prefers "older women" . Turning 40 scares me!!
I totally agree about the disagreements in the privacy of your own home or car or just not in public. I think some people just like to air their dirty laundry sometimes...
I guess I must have one leg and a cheek in the grave!
I need to borrow that book for my class. Hope you can find another cute skirt that won't rip...I don't know if I'll have a jacket the next time you need it! I hate listening to people argue in public...I can't believe that wife, what a meanie! I'm jealous of your trip...want to pack me in your suitcase? Just kidding:)
40 isn't old! At least I don't feel old. LOL I turned 40 last year. I think we hit a plateau at 40, it's not until you turn 50 that it goes downhill. :)
Enjoy your trip! Sounds like a lot of fun.
Post a Comment