Friday, October 16, 2009

Things get done and life is good

Look at us accomplishing things! The last few weeks have been pretty crazy around here. Ryan has been working hard in the yard and I've been working hard at school. I had my first parent teacher conferences and I think they went well. I had a number of parents say their kids loved me and loved coming to school, plus no complaints. I was very relieved when both 13 hour days were over and now kind of know what to expect for future conferences. Work still continues to kick my butt daily but I'm trying to take deep breaths and ride the wave. Some days I accomplish this, other days I start crying in guided reading because I feel like I'm failing my students. I'll find my groove. I've been struggling lately with my eating and exercising. I thought I'd lose weight when I started working but the stress has been making me snacky. I started spin classes again at the gym because I was getting bored with running. So far I haven't had to fight anyone for a bike like I did at Gold's. We'll see how it looks in January when all the resolution people put in their month of exercise. So yeah, this is the rambling I do inside my head when I feel bad about myself physically which is what has been going on lately.
The grass! It's very exciting for people who took years to get their yard "finished" at their old house. Don't be too jealous because all our sod was free. Our neighbors had coupons from when they built their houses and never used them. They love us so much, they gave us theirs. The sprinklers were not free but so, so worth it. Spring will be planting time because I have plans for a lot of trees.

Our regulation size croquet field in the backyard. We wanted an area that we could play games on and not worry about our ball rolling off a cliff or into a forest like at our old house.

Who is going to build me a big pergola? Come on, someone wants to do that. Please?

We gave our our front room when we built this house and until the girls move into the basement, we are without an office. Our computer hutch was getting stuffed full of papers etc, so we have been in the market for a desk type thing for our kitchen. Unfortunately it had to be only 22 inches wide. Karen worked her magic again and found us a tower from an entertainment system that fit perfectly. IKEA provided the office containers and I think it will work well.

I got a haircut! Chad sat me down and said, "Dark and bangs." I said, "Are you sure?" I'm getting used to it but I haven't had bangs since I was 8 so it's a weird feeling. Ryan said I looked like Veronica but a couple of kids at school said I looked like Velma from Scooby-Doo. I thought early 90's Brenda Walsh.

All the kids at the zoo. I'm glad I have good friends and that they put up with me.

8 comments:

Ter said...

I love that hutch. Maybe I need a trip to Utah to steal it. ;) Or better yet, send your friend up here to do some furniture magic for me. I've been having a heck of a time finding the perfect shelves for my living room. They are either not hte right color or they are too short, or not deep enough. Heck, I'd even steal your house while I'm there too. :)

You look even younger with your new hair-do. Not that that's a bad thing, just saying. :)

Anonymous said...

Shea, your yard looks really huge with the grass in. It will be a lot of mowing. Hopefully you won't have any killer birds the contend with. It will be nice to have a big back yard. I love your hair. You look like a teen ager. Love you.
mom

Gwen said...

Your yard looks great and I love your new haircut!!
Sounds like you are having a great first year in first grade!

Lori-Ann said...

Great Yard so nice and big. Love the bangs, been contemplating them for myself...

Susan said...

I like your new hair cut. I've always had bangs as I have a large forhead. The only drawback is once they get too long they drive me crazy so I end up getting my hair cut more often. It's not a pretty picture if I cut them myself. LOL

Shea said...

I think I'm going to be trimming my bangs too Susan. Maybe I'll invest in some pink tape or a headband like my mom used to use.

Natalie said...

Your bangs remind me of my Winnie Cooper hair of the 90's. Both wholesome and hip! (That's not a bad combo, is it?) The yard looks great, there's lots of family fun just waiting to happen.

I appreciate you sharing your sentiments dealing with the first year teaching gig. Just maybe I could hack it too!? Keep your chin up!

Wilson Family said...

Totally Brenda Walsh, but less slutty. Your yard looks great! Free sod, only in my wildest dreams...