I have been working on losing a few pounds because that just seems to be what I do. Saturday morning I got up, weighed myself and was pleasantly surprised to see that my hard word all week had paid off. I went downstairs, ran 4 miles and then proceeded to eat everything I could get my hands on. A Roxberry smoothie (not bad but I not great either), a salad from Kneaders, followed by a key lime tart, some of Ryan's bread pudding, half a bag of kettle chips (evil Ryan!), and for dessert I had a bag of gummi bears. The next morning I got up and I'd gained back all the weight I'd lost plus 1.5 lbs. Now I know there can be all sorts of things that contribute to weight gains and losses and I'm not really hung up on that. It's that I don't seem to be able to stop myself from eating if the food is available. Oh well, I'm not going to get hung up on one day of binging.
We were talking at work this week about weight and I told them about the family pictures we had taken at my parent's house when Grace was about 5 months old. I was at my fattest ever and when I saw those pictures I knew it was time for a change. I couldn't find the picture but I know I was wearing Birkenstocks and my feet were so fat, they were overflowing between the sandal straps. The women at work didn't seem to believe me so I'm posting a picture as photo evidence that I was once overweight. A few months after that horrible family photo was taken I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, went on medication, started working out at 6 in the morning with a church group, did Taebo at home, bummed Weight Watchers materials from friends (we were too poor to join) and finally dropped most of the weight by my 10 year class reunion the next summer.
This is what having two babies in less than two years did to me. Becky, you can thank me for cropping you out of this photo.

Hardcore on a budget
I was texting a friend yesterday who I used to do spin class with and told her I had purchased cycling shoes (on a HUGE discount) recently. She told me I was "hardcore". I have to admit I do kind of feel cool now when the January resolution people come in and I'm one of the regulars with my cycling shoes. For those who don't know, cycling shoes clip into the pedal and I have to say they make it so my feet don't hurt anymore. I was going to take a picture but who really wants to see a picture of my shoes? Now I just need $1,000+ dollars to get me a bike to match my shoes. Speaking of hardcore, I bought some new music to run to the other day and decided to get a Lady GaGa song because it had a good beat. Holy moly this song is dirty! Even I feel a wee bit bad for listening to such a nasty song and hope our kids don't ever find it on our iTunes. I told Ryan it made Madonna, who I'm sure our parents thought was horrible, seem like the Taylor Swift. Oh yeah, but good beat to run to. Speaking of running, it's been a year today that I started running with my Nike+ iPod that Becky got me for Christmas. I've been running for years but it's cool to see how much you've run in a year. If you run, you've got to get one of these or something similar.
114 workouts
70:32:35 duration
437.81 miles
8.01 miles was my furthest run
35752 cals burned
Oh and just so you don't think I'm some sort of fitness/eating nazi, my kids had In-N-Out fries and a milkshake for supper last night. That's quality mothering.
12 comments:
Shea I've got some equally attractive pictures of myself at an overweight stage...and this is before kids. It's pretty sad to say that the heaviest I have ever been in my life was NOT while pregnant... You look fantastic now that and all that hard work is totally paying off. Iain has become a hardcore biker...doing a 200km ride in June so he has been training. Looks like an insane workout. Good for you for doing it!!
Way to go Shea, you're doing awesome! Although, compared to me, you are a little bitty thing even in your "overweight" photo. I hope you feel more confidence about yourself now. And if nothing else you're being a good example to your kids about health issues (even if you have a burger every now and then!)
I had 2 kids in 13 months, and the same thing happened to me. When Megan was a year old, I weighed more than I did the day she was born. I don't remember the turning point, but I got crazy, joined Weight Watchers, and lost 50 pounds.
Good for you for keeping it off! That's been the hardest part for me. The last year has been hard, I've been binging the whole year, and I'm starting to feel it. I need to start hitting the pavement again!
I can't believe that was you, your boobs look huge too. You and Ryan both have the same little smile on your faces. Which Lady Gaga song?
Lor I would like to see evidence of you being anything but tiny. Next blog entry please.
Kim I think you've done a great job keeping it off. Are you still going to the morning workouts at the school?
Tisa my boobs were huge! I was nursing also. Poker Face is the song.
I loved that early morning workout group!
You're the best, Shea!
I do thank you for cropping me out. As you know those were dark days for me as well, at the height of my weight. I really do admire your exercize progress. 437 miles! You've come a long way baby!
Becky
Looking at that photo and knowing you had a 5 month old baby and the 2nd in less than 2 years, I Hmmmm. You had a 5 month old baby and you look great.
I can completely relate to the "eating it if it's around" thing. A closed package is safe, but once it's opened it's game over for me.
I'm also going to say that the photo is either a fake or your camera was broken. You're dedication to exercise is inspiring - and I'm going to add your name to the list of people I know who actually use their treadmill. Way to go!
Not fake. That was the summer Hailey was married. I have pictures from her wedding I'd like to burn but luckily I'm hiding behind someone. Yes, the treadmill has become quite used at our house. Ryan uses it too. It took us a few years to warm up to it.
When you get your bike we can plan to do a race together. I LOVE my road bike and clips. Even if I know that one day I will crash hardcore b/c I can't clip out in time.
My med-i-o-cre face
my med-i-o-cre face...
Now I got that song in my head - thanks a lot
becky
Post a Comment