I copied Mary and made magnets for my students. We'll use them in a variety of ways in class and then they take them home at the end of the year. This is as crafty as I get.
My room. I really like decorating/setting up my room. I told Ryan I should do this for a living.
Practicing for my annual beginning of the year photo. Note the shoes. These will only be seen at school on back to school night for 2 hours. My feet were KILLING me.
Evie
Friday is Evie's 4th birthday. I recently had a friend whose brother went through something very similar to what we did with Evie. I'm glad I was able to help in some small way. It's brought up a lot of memories, things I haven't thought about in a long time but as time passes the pain lessons. Still, I found myself crying in the car the other day. I still have moments like that but they don't come that often and they seem to pass quickly. The grief is a part of me that will always be there. I'm never going to be "over it" but I've accepted it as part of who I am. Recently I had a situation where I was told I didn't acknowledge a friend's grief over a miscarriage. I honestly don't remember the situation or email or conversation, so I can't really defend myself. I was very upset by the accusation because if there is one thing I felt like I learned from losing Evie/4 miscarriages, is how to show compassion to those who suffer losses. It was one of the most hurtful things someone could say to me. Luckily I have people in my life who are good at lifting me up when I'm feeling down and I realized I can't please everyone. I can just try to be a good person. I'll try harder. Friday, we'll celebrate Evie as a family and I'll probably have a good cry.
Please, please, please let me get what I want
Once, in high school, I was driving my mom somewhere while listening to The Smiths and she told me she couldn't understand why I liked this music because the singer sounded like he was whining. I wondered how she couldn't think this was the greatest music ever but chalked it up to the generation gap. Now I'm dealing with this and I feel her pain. I was listening to some Billy Bragg in the car the other day and Hanna told me, "I'll do anything you want if you'll turn this song off." Wha!?! Yet she'll listen to Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber all day long. I only make fun of them when they listen to popular country music. These are lyrics from a popular country song:
I'm too slow for workin' too fast
I don't do windows so honey don't ask
But I'm pretty good at drinkin' beer
Now I know they aren't all about drinkin' beer but I just can't like popular country music. Give me some Johnny Cash any day but please let my girls grow out of this. So far they are only really into Taylor Swift and I can handle that. I'm trying to load their iPods with the classics and they do like a lot of the music I grew up on, so maybe there is hope yet.
12 comments:
I really like your magnets-- I've seen them before and it's a great idea for school!
With names like Heber and Solomon in your class, you know you're going to have a great year! ;)
Here's hoping you have a GREAT school year!!
Thinking of Evie... you'll never forget her and what she means to you... ((Hugs))
Agreed, cute magnets, and that's about as crafty as anyone needs to get :) Good job on the music indoctrination as well. We're far from that but I'm sure I'll have to fight off the eurotechnotrash stuff ...
Your classroom looks good too!
The classroom looks great! You look great! The magnets are impressive.
It is hard to believe that it has been four years since Evie's birthday. I am glad that things are less painful. I will be thinking of her this week too.
Maybe it is my mean side, but reading this post left me wanting to send the girls more country music and encourage them to keep listening. I like it. (It being both country music and bugging you and Ryan). LOL
Love the magnets - very creative.
We force our children to listen to our music too but they are still at that age where they think what their parents listen to is cool.
Evie... :( It makes me cry to read about what you go through. Hang in there.
I like that Kristin outed her "mean side". It's out now Kristin and there is no taking that back.
Shea I love those magnets. I can see a lot of uses for them. You are a neat printer. Your room looks even better than it did last year. You are right you should do room set ups for a living but then you wouldn't have the fun of teaching.
Hugs from Evie. Love you lots. Mom
You did a good job with your room, have seen a lot turn out not so well.
Thinking of your precious little girl who's life was cut short. Birthday thoughts to you and her.
Love you and hope your day is a good one.
Your craftiness looks great--nice magnets! I can't believe someone accused you of insensitivity regarding a miscarriage. They need to get their head out of their you-know-what. For heaven's sake!
Have a great school year, Mrs. Van Fleet!
I have a lot of the same thoughts about Indigo that you wrote about Evie. That it doesn't hurt like it use to. But I'll never be over it. It is just becoming part of who I am. Happy Birthday to Evie and I've been thinking about you.
I love your classroom! You seem like such a good teacher. I always like reading about your class and your little kids.
And speaking of budge cuts. Last year Isaac had 21 kids in his class, this year it is 30! That is 1/3 of a class!
The classroom looks good. Hope you have a great school year!
Your room does look great and it's nice and bright, too. Our kids' school is doing this dim lighting/ energy saving thing - it's a wonder to me that they can see to get any work done!
I can't hardly believe that it's been four years since Evie was born. I'm sure it has exactly flown by for you, but I'm really glad to hear that you're finding the pain to be lessening as time passes. Perhaps the grief will eventually morph into a scar of sorts that will serve as a reminder but not be paired with the acute pain it did in the beginning. Hope Friday was a mostly happy day.
Post a Comment