Sunday, November 21, 2010

Blog neglect

It's that time of year where it seems like I don't really have much to say. I like to think of my blog as a public journal that I do for family but it is nice to have a few comments. I guess if I feel like if no one is reading, is there really a point? I'm sure it doesn't help that everyone and their dog (literally in some cases) have a blog. Sometimes when I'm writing I tell myself "be more funny Shea!" but my life isn't always like a TV sitcom. Here is a list of things that have happened recently:

*Last year on my birthday, a treat a student gave me was stolen in my classroom. After much lecturing, no one confessed. I have to admit, at the time this really drove me crazy but eventually I got over it and learned a lesson to not leave things out in my room. On Friday, a student and their mom came into my room and the student confessed and apologized for taking my treat. I told her I was very proud of her for telling me the truth. She left a couple of treats for me on my desk. When the left, I looked at the treats and realized the original treat that had been stolen was one of the treats, in it's original packaging. Interesting to say the least. I'll let you think about that for a minute.

*I was evaluated by my principal on Wednesday and he was very complimentary. My principal is very kind but it's still nice to hear such positive things about oneself. I really like my class this year so, most days, it's fun to teach. I've introduced a new "free dance" activity we do in class. I play music and one student comes up to the front and dances while the rest of the class mimics them. We switch off frequently. It is pretty hilarious. I even get in on it now and then.

*I've been feeling really tired again so I went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked. I was up another pound and he told me weight fluctuates but I said mine only seems to go up lately. He basically said, "You're getting older. So suck it up." I told him I have too much invested in my wardrobe to not be able to wear it. I just keep gyming/running it up and hopefully I won't be 200lbs but the time I'm 46.

*At the above mentioned doctor appointment, I had my blood drawn. I don't like anything to do with veins as I have mentioned before so I just turn my head and go to my happy place when this is done. Everything went well and I headed out to the car. I got in and looked at my arm to see blood running down it. I almost fainted/puked right then but I had enough sense to put pressure on it and raise my arm above my heart. It stopped but my hand was covered in blood. I had to call Karen so she could distract with wacky stories.

*The girls told me they both want to grow their hair out. I told them they could do whatever they wanted as long as the ragamuffiness is kept to a minimum. In other words, learn how to use a damn brush!

*I've been planning our First Annual First Grade Christmas Party. It's going to be at my house and I can't tell you how excited our husbands are about this party. I think a simultaneous groan was heard from all our houses when the men were told about it. I reminded Ryan of the bazillion Highway Patrol parties/banquets/awards ceremonies I've been to and that he better suck it up and act like he's having a great time.

*We broke the sabbath to see Harry Potter today and Ryan and I got into a discussion about the "nude" scene that has people in an uproar around these parts. I told Ryan it wasn't necessary for the plot and he disagreed. He said it was playing on Ron's greatest fears, while I thought clothed making out would have been just as effective. I said I wasn't a prude (he disagreed) but I was bothered that it gave people something to whine about. So see, not going to church and seeing Harry Potter instead just caused contention in our home. Satan wins this round.

I got some photos back from our summer photo session that I thought I'd share. Have a great Thanksgiving! I'm very thankful for my family, Ryan's affection/friendship, a healthy body, healthy children, a home, friends and a job I like.

Serious Grace

Laughing Grace

Her Royal Tweeness

The girls with Grandma and Grandpa Toly

13 comments:

Kim S said...

I'm reading you Shea - keep blogging just for me. I'm surprised in a whole series of movies about magic and witchcraft that the "naked" scene was problematic. It wasn't necessary but I guess it wasn't worse than the violence in the movie. I thought the lady hanging at the banquet in the first scene was much more upsetting.

Shea said...

I also thought that part was really scary. When Bathilda turned into the snake was frightening and I even knew it was going to happen.

ter@waaoms said...

Hey, as long as you write, I will read. You're awesome at making otherwise mundane everyday stories sound more exciting than they probably are. :)

Gwen said...

I love your blog and enjoy keeping up with your family! :)

You are a gifted writer and I enjoy hearing about your "every day" stuff. :)

SuburbiaMom said...

You are always funny, Shea--no need to try--you just are!!!

Good luck on the thyroid/aging thing, but I'm sure you'll find your niche again!

noelle said...

your blog is my favourite! and actually one of the few i go back to on a regular basis.

Lori-Ann said...

Gorgeous pictures Shea! I LOVE the free dance idea in the classroom - that is something Vanessa would love.
I am exactly the same when it comes to needles or blood or the thought of anything piercing my skin... makes my stomach churn.
Still love reading your blog so please keep it up. :)

Alisha said...

Jealous you got to see Harry Potter already (even though it caused contention:)...so excited for the 1st grade Christmas party, our husbands are going to LOVE it!...I love reading your blog, so keep blogging:)

Tisa said...

I've always wanted to have a Christmas party, but seems too overwhelming. Hope yours goes well!

Ed and I discussed the Harry Potter movie, I agree with you it's unnecessary.I would feel more comfortable with Zoe seeing it than Bronson Because of what age he is and the fact that he is a boy. I hate when movies have that one scene that could of been altered so everyone could enjoy it.

Susan said...

I still hate having my blood taken even though I've gotten used to it. I'm like you, I just can't watch.

I do have a question -- Is the christmas Party just for the adults or are you inviting your students? :)

Wilson Family said...

Hey, I told you on FB that I read your blog, so don't stop writing. I think you're hilarious.
I can't wait to see the risque scene in Harry Potter so I can jump on the bandwagon that HP should be banned from our schools, and lives because the devil's in it.

John and Maura said...

Hi Shea! Thanks for your comment! That was really nice of you. Your blog is great! And your Dad looks like a fun guy and a great grandpa! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! Do I have to join something to leave a comment? I seriously don't need another account to keep track of...maybe I will try the anonymous button but sign my name 8)
Aud