My icy heart was warmed
Saturday I went with a couple of other teachers to volunteer as chaperones for Bear Hugs for Kids. Underprivileged kids are given the opportunity to shop for Christmas presents with a high school buddy and the Jazz Bear. What I found most touching about this day was how sweet the high school kids were with their buddies. It kind of restored my faith in teenagers and I hope that my girls get that opportunity to serve when they are in high school. The day would have been perfect if Shari wouldn't have screamed and nearly given me a heart attack when the Jazz Bear shot confetti at us. Lesson learned: Never go to a scary movie with Shari.
A yumtastic cookie recipe
I'm sharing this cookie recipe because Mary made it for the staff luncheon and everyone wanted it. I have to admit it is a great cookie. I'm not big on chocolate or mint but I wanted to eat a lot of these. I'm going to make some for the neighbors this week.
3/4 c butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 TBS water
2 c semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 packages of Andes mints
In saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, butter and water. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until melted. Set aside to cool. Pour chocolate mixture into large bowl, beat in the eggs one at a time. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into the chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. ( I would do it longer. The colder the dough, the better.)
Cook at 350 for 8-10 minutes
Put 1 mint on top of each cookie and put back in the oven for 1 more minute so the mint can melt. When mint is softened, swirl it on the cookie with the back of a spoon.
Next year might be the year of the camera and braces
I have a decent point and shoot Canon but I think it might be time to go a step up. Don't worry, I won't be starting my own photography business but I do want to take a little higher quality photos of the family. I took these of the girls in their Christmas outfits and couldn't figure out how to blur the background. So yeah, this is the best it gets.
10 comments:
So, you deleted my comment "by accident" and now I have to use my brain to remember what I said? You really ARE a teacher, trying to make me remember stuff! LOL
Let's see... I agreed with you about the gift cards, I do like getting gift cards myself, and I thought that the photos you take are nice, but that a new camera would only enhance your photography skills. :)
There, how did I do? Do I get an A for my memory skills?
To blur the background, you either have to set it on the "portrait" setting in auto mode (which should get you a little blurred background with a PNS); but better yet,get a DSLR camera and learn how to use it in manual mode. Low number on the aperture setting will get those great in-focus face shots with a blurred background. Gets trickier when you have more than one person in the shot though. :-) It's fun to learn it all!
Good job Ter. Cheryl I did use the portrait setting but, like I said, I need a DSLR.
Thanks for sharing the cookie recipe!
Tell those girls to stop growing!! I can't believe it! (Guess mine are too)...
Glad you had fun shopping with the kids...I'll remember not to go to a scary movie with Shari:) I love your girl's Christmas outfits. My sister got a sweet camera for her bday...I want one. If you need a suggestion let me know and I'll ask her what brand it is. Hope you're enjoying your break as much as I am!
I love receiving gift cards -- especially for Christmas. That way I can use it during those wonderful after Christmas sales!
Next year will probably be the year of braces. Annalise is finally loosing her teeth and we already know she needs to have braces. Happy New Year to us...
Getting a massage!!! Lucky you...my massage lady (my sis) is out of the country for a year:( I'm just heading out to shovel snow...that's what happens when my husband is gone:)
HI POOK!
Cookies sound great... Does this mean that you are finally going to get to know your Chinese neighbors names when you deliver their cookies????????
Tell Hanna that I mailed her letter today, so she can pay Ryan back...It is so sad that some postal employee has to steal little kids cards with money in them.
love dad
Great pictures of the girls and you even without the background blurred. I love my canon cameras and last year I did step it up - with another canon, it's just bigger and not as easy to use but I do love it.
You don't have to worry because I don't go see scary movies. Once a friend bribed me to go see Silence of the Lambs. I sat with my eyes closed and plugged my ears the whole time. That was like 20 years ago and I still remember it vividly! Anyway, you know you couldn't have more fun than with me!!!!!
Shari
Post a Comment