Friday, February 04, 2011

the secret ingredient is resentment

I was pulled over by the police today and ticketed. As you can imagine, I was driving on the wrong side of the road while waving a loaded pistol outside my window. Oh wait, I did a rolling stop instead of a complete stop on a deserted road early in the morning. Good thing American Fork police was there to protect their citizens. I know a ticket is not a big deal but I've had the good fortune of talking myself out of any ticket I've ever faced. I was stopped once for speeding in Magrath at 2 a.m. and the RCMP was nice enough to take pity on my since I worked at McDonald's and couldn't afford the $180 ticket. I was stopped once for speeding in Montana (like who DOESN'T Speed in Montana?!) and was given a warning. I was stopped once in Santaquin for speeding and given a warning and once in Payson where I was also given a warning. With both the Santaquin and Payson stops I shamelessly told the officers that my husband was Highway Patrol and I know that's why I didn't get a ticket. It's the code man! We take low pay and no respect in exchange for not getting ticketed for minor offenses. Yeah they may ask you when hiring if you'd give your mom a ticket and you say "yes" (Oh yes Sir! I'd cuff her and drag her off to jail for going 10 over! You betcha.) but we all know we wouldn't. The officer who stopped me asked me if Ryan, whose name was on the registration, was my husband. I pulled my, "Yes and he's a trooper so he's going to be mad." He gave me the ticket anyway. Oh and I also told him I was on my way to teach school. So maybe he hates troopers and teachers? This is why people hate cops buddy. I told him as he handed me the ticket, "Nice to know the police are looking out for each other." There's some passive aggressive behaviour for you douche! Have a nice day.
Realizations
I was going to erase the above rant but I decided it was how I felt and I like to keep this blog somewhat real. The day this happened I wrote about it on Facebook and some of the responses were unexpected. Where I was expecting people to sympathize with me (like they do for non-police families that get stupid tickets) I got some "hey if I get tickets, you should too." responses. I'm cool with that. People are just being real right? This ticket taught me some valuable lessons that Ryan has been telling me for a long time. A)People don't like cops. B)I need to be more careful about my driving. C)Only law enforcement families really understand what it's like to be a part of this profession. I don't talk about it much on here but it's a tough job/life. Ryan deals with things that sometimes I ask him not to tell me about. Horrible things that affect him and therefore our family. So if you are bothered by the idea that I should get a free pass on a simple traffic violation, I say "suck it!" Thank you very much.

Those are some nice eyebrows
I'd like to thank my Eastern European ancestors for my course, hairy legs and my fine, full monobrow. I have what we call "The Toly" eyebrows. I've had them waxed, threaded and tweezed over the years but last week I finally, for the first time in my life, loved my eyebrows. I had them waxed at Nordstrom where they use the Anastasia method. I don't really know what that means but I loved the end result. I now know how to use an eyebrow pencil. The "Brow Wizard" pencil is amazing! I use it every day. It's so easy and makes my brows look great. I also use something that is basically a gel for your eyebrows. Keeps em in place. If only my ancestors had this. I also kind of geeked out at Sephora (inside "Penneys") this week. I bought a couple of lip glosses that were a little more than what you buy at Target. Normally I get my makeup free during Clinique Bonus Time but I thought it was time to actually pick out what I wanted instead of just taking whatever is free. I'm loving them. I bought NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Baroque and BUXOM Lips in Dolly. The BUXOM is cool because it has a lip plumper and makes my lips all tingly.

My natural eyebrows in all their bushy glory. Worst. School. Picture. Ever.

Let the over-tweezing begin! A few years where things got out of control. Chola!

Recently they've grown back in but were a weird shape.

I'll never win an award on my blog for great photography. My new brows! Those are all mine. I was sitting on the floor of my bathroom after a workout getting warm by the heater.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You truly have a dramatic eyebrow makeover - fun to look back through the years.
That sounds like a pretty lame reason for a ticket.
Becky

ter@waaoms said...

While I don't necessarily think you should get out of a ticket because you're married to a trooper, I do agree that you shouldn't have gotten a ticket for a rolling stop. I bet that guy was just having a rotten day or a stick up his bum and took it out on you.

Interesting about the eyebrows. I have to get mine done too. I can't tweeze them, it makes me sneeze plus it hurts like a byotch. I've gotten them waxed which yes, hurts too but it's all over and done at once. bleh.

Gwen said...

I once got a ticket in Provo for speeding in a school zone in the summer. Really? School was not even in session.
Dave, on the other hand, has been pulled over numerous times and has only gotten ONE ticket. Must be his innocent, baby face. Nice.
Maybe I'll see you on Sunday at church! :)

Susan said...

I love getting my eyebrows done. My eyebrows are straight (as in no arch whatsoever) and bushy. I always feel so much better after having them done.

I can certainly understand the code. There's one in education too! We're supposed to be able to get the good teachers in the school for our kids. That's for putting up with all the education politics & crap dished out to the administrators & teachers.

Shea said...

That's true Susan. I had a friend comment on FB that all professions get certain perks.

Kristin said...

I was surprised by some of your fb comments that day too. It would be one thing if you were trying to get out of a DUI, but a rolling stop with no one around, give the lady a break for being married to the fuzz. :)

Nice eyebrows. I want some of that gel stuff. I'll have to get the brand and details from you sometime, because I have often wished for just such a product.

Anonymous said...

Shea i guess you are doubly cursed as the Malmburgs {Gram Jacobs} also have bushy eyebrows.I thought yours looked good and that is why I stopped having mine waxed. I thought they were too sparse. Mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry Mom again. l forgot to say that I thought your eyebrows looked really nice, not too bushy or too sparse.

Alisha said...

I love your eyebrows...you have inspired me to get mine done:)

I think cops shouldn't give "stupid" tickets like yours (to anybody, police family or not), or one that I got. I was driving up Provo Canyon a few winters ago. It had snowed the whole day and night before so I was going slow. People were getting frustrated with me and kept speeding around me. Then I came around a curve and slid on some black ice. I went off the side of the road and luckily some big boulders stopped me from going into the river. And do you know what the cop did! He didn't ask how I was doing then he gave me a ticket for "failure to stay in my lane". Well, what was I supposed to do? Have my car jump over the ice I didn't know was there?

Shea said...

That is a horrible ticket Alisha!

Anonymous said...

HI Pook,
Well I guess that $350.00 We spent on your driving training was wasted when you were 16. Your mother always got out of speeding tickets by flashing a bit of leg and undoing another button on her blouse, I think that she could still get away with that today.
She once passed a mountie doing a 120 mph and didn't get a ticket.
Hang in there on the unibrow they will make a come back soon and you will be in great shape.I have tried to grow mine like Andy Rooney on 60 minutes, but every time i fall asleep your mother trims them.

love dad

Shari said...

I think you have great eyebrows. I am going to check them out today. I think tickets are crazy. It is good revenue I guess. No you shouldn't get a ticket and I think you should get a free pass for waving a gun in public when people are stupid. I have always wanted to carry a paint ball gun and then shoot at cars that are doing stupid things on the freeway and then the police could give them a ticket! I will tell you that Highland police like to hide in easy ticketing places. Highland also has crazy speed limits.