Friday, October 28, 2011

All Halloween wants to do is give you a big hug you with that knife.

I will forever be grateful that when my girls were little, they were pretty easy. I had friends who seemed like their kids were always keeping them on their toes with mischievous doings. I'm sure other people have a lot of stories but the best one I can think of was when Grace was a baby and smeared poop all over her crib and walls. This week, I finally had one of those moments that I'm sure most parents have when their kids are toddler. One of my children called me at school last Monday to tell me that the cat had opened my bedside table drawer "too far" and a bottle of nail polish had fallen and spilled on the carpet. I'm sure right now you are thinking, "How did the cat open the drawer?" That is you should be thinking and what I immediately thought. We had a cat once that could open our front door so I could see the possibility was there but something with this story that wasn't sitting right with me. Oh, and while I'm trying to process how the cat opened the draw I'm also thinking, "There is @#$@# nail polish on my carpet!" I tell this child who called that I'm not buying this "cat" story at all. She continues to stick to her story. Fortunately school was over so I get ready to go home. On my way home, I get a text from this child admitting that it wasn't the cat, it was her and she is sorry she lied. Hmmm...really? It wasn't the cat, eh? So basically replace "cat" with "girl" and you get the full story. I walk into a house that reeks of nail polish and in the middle of my bedroom floor an entire bottle of blue nail polish has been emptied. I swore and got to work. Due to my amazing cleaning skills and the magic of acetone, I was able to get most of the stain out. I can't fault this child too much. I remember being terrified of getting in trouble when I was her age. I was playing with an old TV antenna when I was about 7 and bent it. I'm sure it was garbage but I didn't know that and all I could think of was the horrible trouble would get into if anyone found out about it. So I hid it in our unfinished basement and got to work worrying about being found out. I was really good at worrying. I think it was eventually found and probably thrown away. Not like you could hide a huge blue stain in the middle of the floor but I probably would have tried to think up some sort of story. I might not have been smart enough to blame it on the cat.

Smooth operator
Hanna went to her third school dance after school today. This is her THIRD and she had yet to dance with an actual boy. Today the curse was broken and a real boy asked her to dance. She told me she didn't like this boy but said yes to be nice. She was also mortified that it was a slow dance. As they were dancing a couple of ninth graders dancing nearby made fun of them and told Hanna and her real boy that, "They danced like sevies." I had to explain to Ryan that this is a slang term for seventh graders. Hanna's partner then said to her, "Can I pull you closer?" Oh man! This made me laugh out loud! Can I pull you closer? Good one buddy. Doesn't he know you need to be a Bible, Book of Mormon and dictionary apart? Hanna told him that she was fine as they were. I thought it was interesting when we came home and told this story to Ryan. He immediately sympathized with the boy, while Hanna and I had been mocking him mercilessly. Girls are so cruel.

Thank you Buddah!
Remember when I blogged a few years about about not getting "Booed" at Halloween? Of course you don't. On Saturday we were "Booed"(now I just wish people would leave us alone because I'm older and lazier). The girls weren't home but saw the treats later. Grace asked where the treats were from. I said, "We got booed." Grace replied, "Buddah brought it?" Oh sweet Grace. Yes, Buddah brought us pumpkin cookies. Praise Buddah!

"Watch out! Halloween is trying to hug you with that knife!"
Ryan and I complain to each other that neither appreciates how funny the other is. This past weekend we watched a lot of old horror movies on Netflix and I have to admit Ryan has a funny bit. He calls Michael Myers "Halloween". Then makes comments the entire movie like, "Look behind you! Halloween is going to get stabby with that knife!" I find this really funny and makes watching horror movies much more bearable.
Here are our costumes. I went all out with Grace's "The Birds" costume. I don't think her classmates appreciated it. What? Your 10 year old hasn't seen "The Birds"? For shame.



Mrs. Iverson? Is that you?
I had to give Shari a hard time today about her costume. I'm not freaked out by clowns unless they are evil clowns but it was the doll that got to me. We also had to laugh when she came out to recess with her "circle clown" (Holiday gas station) drink cup. Clown all the way! I loves me some Shari but that doll has gots to go.

7 comments:

Gwen said...

Grace's "The Birds" costume is awesome.
Ah, junior high dances. Such great memories. I've just recently become aware of the term "sevie" myself!! :)

SuburbiaMom said...

Grace's costume is AWESOME! You make me LOL Shea!

ter@waaoms said...

I agree, the clown (and especially the clown doll) are creepy. Graces' outfit was pretty cool (I've never seen the movie, don't plan to. LOL) What was Hannah??

Shea said...

Hanna is in jr high so she didn't dress up at school. She went as a witch to trick o' treat.

Kristin said...

Landon hasn't been to any school dances yet. There is a multi-ward dance for kids 12+ coming up in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can get myself invited. I would love to check out his smooth moves. LOL. "Can I pull you in closer?". Awkward!

You are a pretty Snow White and Grace's costume is most impressive.

Glad you got the nail polish out. And cookies from Buddah sounds much cooler than getting "booed".

Love the clown picture. And look at the view behind her. What a nice day. Utah is a beautiful state.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pook,
love the cool clown doll! did the real clown make it or buy it? If she bought it find out where....

love dad

Lori-Ann said...

Love the nail polish story. Right now Troy blames his best friend Adam for any wrong doing but eventually he'll realize we aren't buying it and may resort to blaming the dog. Very cute!