Monday, January 30, 2012

"Get in loser. We're going shopping."

I think it's pretty useless to talk about future professions to anyone under 16 because most girls want to be marine biologists and most boys a stuntman. Kidding about the stuntman but that's seriously what Ryan wanted to be as a kid. We talk in generalities about what the girls might like to be. I tell Hanna she should be a physician's assistant which sounds super cool to a 12 year old. The other day Hanna "vaguebooked" something on FB about her "dreams being crushed." I didn't see it until later at night but it was driving me nuts not knowing what she was talking about, so I went into her room and woke her up. She was quite upset and didn't want to tell me but finally admitted that she just realized she couldn't do what she wanted when she grew up. I asked her what that was and she answered, "a model." Um, say what sister? I'm 5' tall and you are looking like you will follow in my footsteps, height-wise. Honestly, the first thing that came to my mind and what I said was, "Oh Hanna, you are too smart to be a model." Then I told her that only a handful of models actually make a living at it. Where does this kid get these ideas? Cheerleader? Model? We don't really promote these things in our home. I do feel badly for her. I remember when I finally realized I wasn't going to be that tall. My parents had given me false hope because I had really big feet when I was about 12 and they told me that meant I might be as tall as my Grandma Wilde (who was 6'). That didn't happen. Instead I inherited Grandpa Wilde's 5'3" genes. Maybe she can be a hand model.

Say hello to my little pink friend
My dad bought the girls a pink Daisy BB gun. This is something I love about my dad. Surprises. What is more fun than getting something in the mail you weren't expecting? My girls were really not expecting a gun. Ryan might be a police but we aren't a hunting/shooting family. Ryan gets really stressed out when he is around people using guns. I think it's because he's had so much safety training that he picks up on every little thing people do wrong and it makes him nervous. He is a good person to train your kids on gun safety. So yes, not a real gun that the girls got but it could still "shoot your eye out" if you're not careful. They had a good time shooting and only put one dent in our fence. No chickens were harmed as far as we know.

Carsoup
I took Hanna and a friend to the mall on Friday night for the first time. Oh man, remember when there was nothing cooler than going to the Park Place Mall in Lethbridge on a weekend? That's for my Southern Alberta homies. I grew up in a town of 1500 so, obviously, there was no mall. Your parents had to drive you 20 minutes into "town" and drop you off at the mall. I'm sure the people who worked at the mall hated us. Anyway, I'm kind of a loser who can't find anyone to come with me to the mall on Friday so I went alone. I decided it would be too much of a blow for my fragile self-esteem to walk the mall alone so I dropped them off and left. Plus, Hanna made it clear that she didn't really want to be seen with me. Sob. I was hungry but nothing really sounded good. I eventually got soup which, now that I think about it, seems like a poor choice for car eating. I parked in a random parking lot and ate my sad carsoup. Don't cry for me. I'm sure I'll get used to carsoup in the teenage years to come.

Hey. Listen to me talk about my wacky eating habits. No?
I have a hypo-active thyroid (thyroid don't work so good)and lately it's been really messing with me. I won't go into too many details but one unpleasant thing is that my digestive system has pretty much stopped. Gross. This is a total tangent but I was listening to NPR on Sunday and they were talking about Nikola Tesla and Mark Twain. Apparently, Twain was forever indebted to Tesla because he cured his constipation by running an electric current through him. Then they played with Tesla's "x-ray gun", pointing it at each others heads, etc. Oh Tesla and Twain, BFF's foreva. Because of my problems I decided to stop eating gluten (I did research duh.) which isn't easy because gluten is in a lot of what I eat. I already don't eat sugar so I'm now, officially, one of those people that other people don't want to talk to. I promise, I won't talk about it unless you ask. I'm getting to my point which is, I ate in my car again this weekend but it was an In-N-Out burger "protein style" which means no bun, which is gluten free! It was pretty good. Ryan and I also bought a juicer but I also won't bore you with that. Let's just say, we drink a lot of freaking juice.
*I'm wearing my new sunglasses which were my birthday present. I got the Kate Spade "franca" cat eye sunglasses which I highly recommend. I'm geeking out on them.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Ryan must have watched the Fall Guy on tv. I wanted to be a police woman/detective when I was younger. I used to watched Charlie's Angels and thought it looked cool.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pook,
Well It sure is nice to see the chickens come home to roost !! I remember when I would go to the park Place Mall with you and you wouldn't walk beside me because you were afraid that your friends would think that you were a loser and hung around with your dad.
Glad that the girls enjoy the BB Gun.
I thought Hanna wanted to go to Harvard? She's too much of a fun girl to be a model.
Love Dad

SuburbiaMom said...

That is cool--a pink gun! What an awesome grandpa!

I feel your pain on the carsoup. Bring the cat along next time and maybe she can snuggle with you...
:(

Wilson Family said...

Shea-

Um- I noticed your crazy gluten pinning on pinterest. I have to admit, I was a little weirded out, and totally jealous. I think it's great that you're off sugar and gluten free, Millhouse. Maybe when you watch Finding Nemo now you won't freak out when Nemo's mom dies. Have I said too much?

Shea said...

I'm sugar free mostly for this gym challenge I'm in. It's over February 20th and then I will be eating sugar in moderation. So I'm not THAT big of a freak.

Alisha said...

Love the pink BB gun...always wanted one of those, but got a regular old brown one.

Call me next time you go to the mall, Remi and I will come hang with you so you don't have to eat alone in your car:)