Sunday, March 23, 2008

No Easter Bunny?

The Easter Bunny was good to us this year bringing us lots of delicious candy. I bought the girls new Easter outfits which they really liked. I didn't think I'd get so much joy out of dressing them up but I really do like it. Having girls is fun. I did make one huge parenting blunder today when I told Grace there wasn't an Easter Bunny. I had put notebooks in the girl's Easter baskets and I told them to put them in their church bags so they'd have something to draw on at church. Hanna asked me if I bought them and not thinking, I told them that I had. I sometimes forget that Grace is only seven and very sensitive. I knew Hanna had pretty much figured out that the Easter Bunny was bunk and for some reason I decided it was time to confess to them that there was no bunny. This is how it went:

Me: "Yes, Dad and I are the Easter Bunny."
Hanna: "Whatever, dude. I'm so grown up that nothing shocks me." (ok she didn't say that but that is what she was thinking)
Grace: "There isn't a Easter Bunny?"
Me: "No. I'm sorry. I thought you knew that there couldn't be a huge bunny that hopped around handing out candy."
Grace crying: "I thought there was an Easter Bunny!"
Me: "Grace I'm so sorry. I thought you knew. Sometimes it's just fun to pretend these things. You can still believe there is an Easter Bunny."
Grace crying: "I can't go back now that you've told me he isn't real."

I calmed her down and then told Ryan what happened. He talked to her and they decided that the Easter Bunny left the chocolate eggs hidden in the house but that we had bought everything else. She seemed happy with that but I still feel horrible.

Ryan said no one wanted to see a picture of him.

Grace always looks at Ryan when I'm taking a photo. I thought it looked cute.




10 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

I love these pix of the girls and you.My sevenyear old kepps telling me I know you are the easter bunny. It made me sad the for her that the magic is gone.

Nicole said...

Nathan figured out there is no Easter bunny this year too! He wasn't upset, all he cared about was that he got the webkinz snake he had wanted so badly!

Susan said...

I think Annalise still believes in the Easter Bunny but I'm not really sure as I don't want to ask her. She's sensitive like Gracie. Anyway, I love the girls' dresses. They look really cute.

Anonymous said...

Those are really cute dresses. I'm sure Gracie will get over the debunking of the Easter Bunny. Usually some kid at school tells them but maybe they don't believe them. Hanna's hair is getting long and looks very pretty. Tell them that Grandma thinks they are beautiful. Mom

Lori-Ann said...

The girls look absolutely adorable Shea!! I almost blew the whole Easter bunny thing this year too but fortunately it's a lot easier to "back peddle" with a 4 year old.

Melissa Miller said...

I sat behind Hanna in sharing time yesterday and fell in love with her dress! I loved the colors.

Anonymous said...

Hey that's funny - Beth caught me filling up their baskets. We went to Great Falls over night and had Easter there - so there isn't much privacy in a hotel room. The next morning Beth confessed she was pretend sleeping and saw me. It's funny cause Ethan regressed about Santa this year.
Becky

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean it was funny that Grace was sad - you know what I mean - anyway those are some cute Eater outfits.
Becky

noelle said...

Lucky you that it was warm enough for such cute dresses ! We were in snow and no heat in the church so NoƩmie stayed bundled up in her outdoor coat!

I always loved Easter as a kid for the new dress (and the gloves and the hat but I guess that isn't really done anymore :-)

Ter said...

I love the girls' dresses... I think no matter how old they are it's still nice to dress up for holidays. :)