The other day I had something hurtful happen to me in the blogging world (I refuse to use the word "Blogosphere") and it got me thinking about something that has bothered me for a long time. You might say it's one of my pet peeves. I don't like it when adults think all rude behaviour is excused because, "That's how I am. I say anything I want to and if you don't like it, suck it!" I've met a few people like this in my life and I find them super irritating. Why, just because you are "that type of person" can you get away with horrible behaviour and why do some adults think this is an acceptable excuse? I was working in the PTA as treasurer the same year I got pregnant with Evie. I ended up being in the hospital having her the week school started. Actually, I remember it was the day before Grace started Kindergarten because I knew I had to get out of the hospital or heaven forbid I would miss Grace's first day. Let's just say I don't remember much of that walk to school because I was hopped up on all types of good drugs. I should have quit the PTA but for some bizarre reason I stayed in and I did a really shitty job. In my defense I do remember some mention of, "Don't you worry. You just do what you can." I hated going to meetings because all social situations caused me anxiety. This was before I wised up and listened to my therapist when he told me it was okay to take the occasional Xanax. Just the sight of certain people threw me into a panic and some of those people happened to be in the PTA. I did work with some women who I love to this day because they kept me sane that year. Then there was a woman who was very demanding and would often call me up and harass me if I missed a meeting. I had lost a child a few months earlier so I wanted to say to her, "Listen sister! It's amazing I'm able to get up in the mornings. So if I miss a damn PTA meeting, you might want to cut me some slack." This woman constantly did things like this and the one time I complained to a fellow PTA member about it, her reply was, "That's just the way she is. Don't take it personally." Oh, okay. I will remember that when I feel like yelling at someone, which happens a lot. Throw away all conventions of society because, "That's the way I am." I try to be nice on this blog, I really do. I know I've made mistakes when I've started ranting and I apologize. I will most likely continue to make mistakes but I don't intentionally try to hurt anyone. I also don't excuse my behaviour by saying, "That's how I am. Take it or leave it." I know I put myself out there and that means that I open myself up to people who disagree, which I'm totally cool with. Believe me, I know some people might not like me and that's okay. We don't all have to like each other but we do, as human beings, have to be civil.
Now think happy thoughts while looking at this kitten. You can't stay mad while looking at kittens.
9 comments:
I agree that there is no such thing as "that's just the way I am, deal with it". Humanity doesn't work that way, so those who use that as an excuse must be cyborgs. I love your blog, Shea. I laugh every time I read it. By the way, your girls are more adorable than a kitten.
Lindsey
I was mad until I saw the kitten. Thanks for sharing.
I love your blog--just the way it is!
I hear you Shea! I have a brother who's behaviour I've had to accept because "that's just the way he is". I should suggest he get himself a cute kitten though- it just might help. :)
I hear you Shea! I have a brother who's behaviour I've had to accept because "that's just the way he is". I should suggest he get himself a cute kitten though- it just might help. :)
Stopping by from Ter's, so glad to "meet" you.
You know, some people completely lack the emotion of empathy. Unfortunately. My (ex) bff and I were so close. Then I started having my miscarriages and she had no empathy for me. She didn't get it at all. We are no longer friends because I realized she wasn't a true friend.
You are so right on Shea. I know people like this too and I shake my head. People think because they are "passionate" about something (politics, religion, or otherwise) they can be all in-your-face, and that's okay b/c that's just how they are--"deal with it". They think they are funny or charming, when really they are neither. Let's call it what it is--bad manners.
I love your blog. You are not perfect and don't pretend to be, and your imperfections are what make you lovable. Nobody likes a perfect person.
And PTA--hey at least you volunteered. That's better than what....80% of the other parents? At least at my kids' school that's the case. They should be glad you helped at all.
JenH
amen sista! but seriously, kittens give me anxiety ;)
I was feeling it too, grrrr!!!! Then... I saw the kitty and all is good!
Stopping by from Ter's to say hello.
Iwould say that is one of my pet peeves as well. "I just tell it like it is so deal with it." I also hate people that are jerks ( my nice way of putting it.)
Post a Comment