Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Clark! I don't want to spend the Holidays dead!

Where I break my parent's hearts
I love Christmas time. I thank my parents for making Christmas such a magical time even when I know it was probably financially irresponsible of them to do so. One thing I really liked that we did as a family was cut down our own Christmas tree. We didn't go every year but pretty close. I have some wonderful memories of being in the forest, picking out a tree which would end up being too large for our home (they always look smaller in the forest), dragging a tree many miles back to our truck, only to find that the battery was dead. We made the best of it by starting a fire and roasting weiners until someone rescued us. I tried a few times in Utah to get a permit to cut down a tree but it always seemed like such a big hassle. We would end up spending a lot of money on a tree that wouldn't smell and usually became a fire hazard a few days later. Last year I started to toy with the idea of a fake tree. Ryan has been in my ear about one for years but I was raised with a real tree and it's hard to let those traditions go. Karen saw a tree at Costco that she liked and so I looked at it next time I was there. It looked really good and once I even suggested it to Ryan, he was all over it. So today I bought an artificial tree and I can hear my parents gasp all the way from Canada. I'm already thinking about how easy this tree is going to be and it's making me happy.

Where I work like a big girl
Today I was observed in class by my principal. I'm the queen of procrastination but I took the advice of other teachers and scheduled it early. I almost emailed him yesterday and told him I wasn't ready because I was so nervous. Ryan got called to a dead body early this morning so the girls came to school really early with me. They were my "students" while I practiced my lesson. I think that really helped as did advice from my teaching team. In the meeting with my principal after he told me I was a great teacher and they were glad to have me. Who doesn't like to hear things like that? Oh and Ryan's Lt. said he was the bestest dead body detective evahs! Look at us being grown up and professional.

Where I don't parent badly
The other day Ryan asked Grace to put away a crayon that he had found in the kitchen. She thought he was accusing her of leaving a crayon in the kitchen (pretty sure he was correct) and told him, "no" she would not put the crayon away. She walked into her room while Ryan stood shocked. He then went into her room and had a "discussion" with her, that I could hear in the living room. A few minutes later she came out looking very sad and when I asked her what was wrong, she told me that "Dad swored at her. Swored in her face!" I tried to suppress laughter as I asked her what "swear" he had used. "He said the D and H swear." I asked Ryan if this was true and he admitted that he had and he didn't feel one bit bad about it. I told Gracie that it was very sad that Dad "swored" at her while I gave Ryan the "I'm the better parent today" look. I think I should add that we don't swear at our children normally but every parent has their breaking point and I think Ryan's was when he found a moldy plastic lunch bag in Grace's jeans laying on the floor.

Where I talk about products I like to purchase
If you had told me a few years ago I'd like wearing blush, I would have said, "SHUT UP!" while I pushed you Elaine style. I do like to wear it! I'm totally into the Clinique Blushwear Cream Stick in Rosy Blush and it's bonus time at Nordstrom now so you can buy it and get a free gift.


Like dark chocolate? Like pomengranates? Like nuts and gum, they can only be delicious together and now they are. Brookside Dark Chocolate Covered Pomegranates are available at Costco and there is a coupon for them this month. Also 20 pieces are only 180 calories. Joy!


Ugh, I feel like such a fashion victim because I wear Uggs. They were my Christmas present to myself last year and I LOVES them. I know they are so 2006 but due to my hypothyroidism, my feet are always cold and they keep them so toasty warm. Ryan HATES the Uggs. He thinks it's like wearing slippers in public. But I wear a lot of things Ryan doesn't like, think flip-flops and ruffles. Oh and here is a tip, they stretch so buy yourself a smaller size than you normally would. I can save money by buying the child's size 4 and they fit perfectly. Hint, hint Ryan.

15 comments:

Ter said...

Re: tree - my mom would not have even put up the tree most years but she did only because my brother and I would bug her about it. But once we became old enough to put up the tree (artificial) ourselves (so say 13 yrs old) it was my responsibility to put up the tree if I wanted it up. Sadly, I am now my mother because Christmas no longer exists in this house, which means, no tree. :(


Good for you for getting a good review from your principal and for being a good parent for a change. lol (just bugging you!)

SuburbiaMom said...

We are fake too, I mean with regards to our tree. Bath and Body works has some pretty convincing Christmas-tree smelling candles this year--try 'em out!

I love your posts, Shea!! Uggs are still everywhere I see. I'm okay with you wearing them--as long as you aren't wearing them with sweat pants--eek.

Shea said...

Kiersten I only wear them with sweats at home and maybe once for a quick run to walmart late at night!LOL!

Anonymous said...

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssppppppppp!!! Nooooo
not a fake tree!!! Where did we fail!!!!!

Christmas is my favorite time of the year too. I put up our lights on the house yesterday in the wind. The outside trees are next. I'm glad you have fond memories of childhood Christmases. I do too. It was always a magical time as a child and as a parent. Now the magic is for the grandkids. It was so nice to have both our children and their families last year. We appreciate you coming all that way in terrible weather. Love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

We went fake tree 5 years ago maybe. I too grew up with only a real tree. Once out on my own we got real trees for awhile but I have a hard time remembering to water them so that led to the needles falling off prematurely and then broke my vacuum. Ron gave me that told-you-so glare and off to get a fake tree we went.

I have uggs. Boots and slipper type clogs which rock. Ron would like it if I wore heels all the time so he has no footwear input.

Andrea

Shea said...

Andrea you in heels all the time has me laughing. You have Uggs because you're cool like me sister.

Anonymous said...

Good post Shea. Congratulations on the work success. The tree looks really nice. I saw some at Costco that made me kind of want one. But my boss is getting trees in next week and it is one of my many perks.
A tip - BEth and I learned something the hard way - she was playing with a soccer ball while I was walking on the treadmill and the ball came near the back and it was immediately sucked under and became wedged in the frame. I had to stab it to get it out. The treadmill seems OK though. So be forewarned. It could have ended poorly.
I wore Monti's crocs in public yesterday and I feel fine about it. I am glad your Uggs are still earning your love.
Becky
ps - monti has a bad sinusitis infection.

Shea said...

I'm glad the treadmill incident was not fatal. I don't let my kids play near me when I'm running. It breaks my concentration and I always worry they'll get hurt. Sinus infections suck.

Anonymous said...

Traditions are hard to let go. Good for you guys being all earth friendly. I grew up with a fake tree, and an "aroma disc player" in which my mom would insert a pine disc. Pretty sure it's not the same as a real tree, but it worked for us. I had to LOL about slippers in public. I would feel that way if I were wearing them, but then again I have huge feet. I'm sure they look cute on you with your small feet.
Good job on the teaching/ observation deal. At least it's over for now. I agree with the whole getting it over early.

JenH

Shea said...

Jen I was reading online and it doesn't look like the fake ones are very environmentally friendly with all the chemicals they use to make them. I'm sure there are super expensive "green" artificial trees one could purchase.

Natalie said...

I hope your costco tree has lights on it. That is the ONLY way to go. Out of a box - Voila - beautiful tree - then back in to the box. So great. Again, our mothers are truly sisters.... Christmas has always been a big deal in our house. We never cut down our own tree (eeks the thought of Hailey and I throwing an ax around is plausible, but scary.) Good thing we just bought our trees from the Scouts!

Clinique bonus time rules!

Shea said...

Haha! I'm laughing thinking of the Gibson girls cutting down a tree. According to the package, my tree has 1250 lights.

Wilson Family said...

Dear Shea-
When, oh when will I be listed on your "family blog" list. Someday soon, I hope.
Linds
ps- we always had the real trees, but usually went thru two before christmas because they died. I have horrible memories of sawing the stump to be perfectly even-for hours-only to find the next day needles everywhere. I'm with Nat- instant tree!

Shea said...

Linds it's because you are private. I don't put it on because no one else can view it. Would you still like me to do it so you'll feel special? I will for you.

Marcy said...

Your posts are a breath of fresh air!