Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Write damnit!

Working is definitely cutting into my blogging time and I really think I don't feel as good when I don't write. So I'm writing on my laptop while I watch the season finale of Mad Men. Look at me, multitasking! Work is work. I feel a lot like I did when I first became a mom to a colicky baby girl, overwhelmed. I don't think I'll ever love teaching as much as I love Hanna but I'm hoping that I learn to love it in a different way. I taught a lesson today on the sense of sight and I had one of those teaching moments where I felt like they might actually be learning something and having fun doing it. The cool thing is, almost like your own children, first graders love their teachers even when you maybe aren't exactly loving them. We had a good Halloween but I have to admit I'd rather have my eyes poked out than parade in and out of all 30+ classrooms, parent packed hallways and gym in my Jack Sparrow costume. I'm sure as the years go on I'll get more used to it or I'll just keep going to my happy place.

Happy Halloween!

Grace brought a fun surprise home from school this week, a goldfish! No warning, nothing, just came into my room after school with a goldfish in a bag. Apparently all the kids got one. I won't go into how many ways I think this is wrong but we have the damn goldfish so we are going to take care of it. I secretly hoped it would die in the night. Yep I'm that kind of heartless person, but it lived. I went to Walmart the next morning, got it an aquarium and some food and Kelly seems to be adjusting well to life in our home. I'm kind of digging it now because the kids get a pet they can take care of and I'm not emotionally attached to it. Unfortunately, Ryan and the kids are attached to Kelly so I hope she plans to live for a while.

Saturday night Ryan and I went to a party for the opening of our stylist's salon. That's right, Ryan goes to the same stylist Karen and I got to. I've been going to Chad for about 3 years now. It was after Evie was born and I was feeling the urge to cut all my hair off. Karen took me with her to Chad and he cut my hair all off without an appointment. Plus, it looked great. I tried to break away from Chad when gas was up to $4/gallon and I was driving from Santaquin to Sugarhouse but no one could compare. I heart the Chad. Chad is the only person who has ever cut Ryan's hair where Ryan didn't feel mad after. I think if Ryan were gay, which he isn't, he and Chad would make a nice couple. So if you're looking for a great stylist, check out Chad at bspace salon.

11 comments:

Ter said...

in answer to your question, I will be your cook but I want my own wing in your house, and my doggie's coming with me. :)

SuburbiaMom said...

Nice costumes! Love the name Kelly, for a goldfish!

Anonymous said...

So how did you like Madmen? Monti said he couldn't imagine being on the edge of his seat watching some dudes in an office but we both enthralled.
That is weird about the goldfish but glad it is working out OK. I need to talk to you about treadmill use. So are you off today? We are watching Remembrance Day stuff on CBC. We are remembering.
Becky

Shea said...

MadMen was great. I was feeling kind of disappointed with the last two episodes so this made up for it. Ryan is off today but not me. I made little poppies for my class to pin on their clothes.

Susan said...

You should work at Annalise's current school -- no Halloween parade. In fact they aren't allowed to wear costumes at school. The PTO puts together a Harvest festival at night where the kids all dress up.

Gwen said...

School Halloween parades rank right up there with root canals, IMO!
Your costume was awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering why you felt you had to clarify that I am , in fact, not gay. I do feel a special bond with Chad, but I'd hoped that our children and 15 year marriage would have better verified my sexuality. Hmmm, maybe I need to do some serious self examination.
Ryan

Shea said...

I meant to say, "which he isn't hubba hubba" Is that better?

Alisha said...

The Halloween parade doesn't get any better, trust me I've been doing it for 6 years now. Wish it would just go away. Glad you fish lived:) Hanna was SO excited walking down the hall with that thing.

Anonymous said...

Just the other day Calee and I were commenting on how we were so fortunate on the fine people that our two children had married, then we read Shea's blog about Ryan"s fondness for his Stylist.
Boy! talk about a panic, we put our house up for sale so that Shea wouldn't have a place to move back to. We had been looking at old folks homes for us to move into.
We had hired a couple of hit men to neuter or spay Ryan....
Soooo we were really glad to see Ryan's explanation, now we will be able to call off all of the above..........

Love you both, Mom and dad

Natalie said...

I get the stylist thing. Kevin and I go to the same guy whom we wait many months and travel great distance to see. He's in Edmonton - we're in Calgary. Seems nuts, but when you find someone who can manage unruly hair, it's so worth the hassle.