Saturday, December 26, 2009

"Remember as far as anyone knows, we're a nice normal family"

Here is where I get all deep and shit
It was more evident than usual this Christmas that we both come from very small families. This was the first Christmas in a while that we spent entirely alone. Ryan's mom left to visit his sister and his brother and wife were with her family. My brother's family who live in Canada were in Spain and my parents were home in Canada. My kids only have two cousins who we don't get to see often enough. When I was growing up, all of my mom's four siblings lived within driving distance of my Grandma's house. We would get together often with my cousins who lived nearby. I feel for my kids that they don't have this same family dynamic that I did. When we do go to Canada each summer, they love playing with their cousins and I'm happy that the two they do have are their same ages. It's pretty weird in Utah to have such a small family that only seems to be getting smaller. I'm sometimes jealous of people who get together with their large extended families for the holidays. Neither Ryan nor I ever wanted a huge family but we, well mostly I, were hoping for three. My brother and his wife were hoping for more also but neither of us got what we wanted. Christmas is a time that I really feel Evie's absence. I think about how fun it would be to have my three girls opening presents and how fun Christmas morning would be with a almost 4 year old added to the mix.
*I talked to a friend of mine with a large family after I wrote this entry and she said something like, "A big family just means there is more crazy." That's why I loves her.

Christmas!
Our first year with a mantle. I've always wanted to have our stockings that Nana knitted for us hanging on a mantle. Mine is the big one. One of my students gave me the "be merry" sign.

The girls wanted Snuggies for Christmas and I came through. I made them dance in them like they do in the commercial. If only they made them in kitty size.

I'm starting to realize that while Hanna is the size of a little girl (I had to buy her size 7 skinny jeans so they'd actually be skinny.) she is in grade 5 and not such a little girl anymore. I thought this outfit she got for Christmas made her look like such the tween. They do grow up fast.

Here I talk about things I like
I guess this is becoming a regular thing, where I talk about products I like. If I can just help one person, it will worth it. I am in no way compensated for these endorsements. I also feel conflicted because I want to be cool like Mimi Smartypants and not a corporate whore like Dooce. So this is just me talking about things I have purchased and liked enough to want to tell others about.
I like Kiehls lip gloss. My friend Christine had some and she is cool so I thought I'd try some. It smells great, is the perfect consistency, not too sticky and lasts quite a long time. It's $14.50 at Nordstrom and I like the clear but they have all kinds of great colors.

I got a sample of this parfum at Nordstrom when I bought some makeup and I really like it. It was sold out when I decided to finally buy it but when I searched online, I saw that Target sells it too. The description describes it as: "Romantic and sensual, this alluring floral fragrance contains vanilla, musk and violet." They'll make you a free sample at Nordstrom if you want to try it. Oh and my birthday is in 2 weeks.

American Eagle skinny jeans. Relatively cheap (all are on sale right now), stretchy and look good when tucked into boots which is the only way grown women should wear them. The only downside is the low rise. I just wear longer shirts over them.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shea, I have fond memories of Christmas time when I was young. My Wilde cousins lived in the same little village and we always got together at my Grandpa Wilde's to play games and eat treats. The adults played Rook in one room and the grandkids played games in another room. What a lot of laughter came out of both places. I miss that.
Mom

Ter said...

I hear you about small families. It was just me this year, and my dog.

Tisa said...

Very informative! You could definitely be in advertisement, you missed your calling. Oh and I just started a blog again hopefully this one will go better.

Shea said...

I'll add you to the blogroll again but try to keep it up this time. Geesh!

Susan said...

Growing up it was always just my family. We lived far away from my mom's family and my dad was an only child. I guess it's what I'm used to, so sometimes the big family gatherings get on my nerves.

I'm jealous that you are able to pull off wearing skinny jeans. I don't think I could pull it off. My legs are still skinny, but it's my hips that have gotten larger over the twenty years. I'm just not shaped like I was when I was 16. :)

SuburbiaMom said...

The big families thing has its pros and cons (I'm one of 8 kids). We don't live very close to each other and most of my siblings haven't got enough spare change to be out traveling and visiting. We all get together every few years. I think families with mostly girls are closer--I've got 6 bros and they're close but not like I've seen families of girls.

I love your fun posts!!! Maybe I'll get me some of 'dem skinny jeans....

Shea said...

Ladies if I can wear skinny jeans anyone can. I have the shortest/weirdest legs ever but I just wear them with boots.

kimberlee said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I have been following your blog for a while - you don't know me, but I'm your friend's friend's friend's friend. LOL - I think that's right. I found your blog by blog hopping through their blogs, & you always make me laugh. Anyway, total word on the small family get togethers- I'm totally jealous of people who have the big ones. And Lolita Lempicka perfume? LOVE IT. I have been using it for years. You are the only other person I have heard of who knew about it. Anyway, keep on bloggin' & happy New Year!!

Shea said...

Hey anon thanks for the comment. I'm glad you enjoy the blog. Do you have one? Now I'm curious.

Lori-Ann said...

Great post Shea! All the best in 2010!

Monti said...

Hey! We are back in the land of internet! Hooray for airports! My kids are missing your kids - Beth keeps asking when we are going to see you again. I like hanging out with your family.
SOunds like you had a nice Christmas. Ours was weird but good. I am going to try and get some photos out to you while I can.
BEcky