Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"For you see, marriage is a lot like an orange. First, you have the skin...then the sweet, sweet innards..."


Ryan and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary this week and it got me thinking that 16 years is a really long time. I met Ryan when I was 19, so in two more years and I'll have spent half my life hanging out with Ryan. When you think of things that way, it can kind of make your head spin. When I saw Ryan in the BYU bowling alley the first day of my sophomore year, I have to admit I didn't think we'd be spending the rest of our lives together. I just thought, "He's cute and doesn't look like your typical BYU return missionary. I wonder if he'll make out with me?" In one way especially, meeting Ryan really saved me. I was flunking out of school and it was Ryan, with his 1985 Mac Plus and exceptional study skills, that kept me in school. I still tried to break up with him once but, luckily, he didn't take it that seriously.

The evidence:

When I started to fall back into old habits of sleeping instead of going to class, Ryan was there to remind me not to be a complete loser. Because of his support, my academic advisor gave me a high five when I came in at the end of my first semester back. I had gone from a .73 to a 3.45. Maybe my next blog entry will be about why I did so badly my first semester.

He also put up with me through this. This is the first and last time this photo will ever be made public.

I don't get mushy a lot on my blog but I do really love Ryan. I'm tend to be a tad crazy/neurotic and he still likes me. Oh and when he was at Ross one day, he bought me a new sports bra. Does your husband know you need a new sports bra and actually remember to look for one when out shopping? Okay mushiness done.

I got Ryan sunglasses for our 1st and he got me a pair for our 16th.



A great dinner at Bambara. I was searching through photos for this post and found that, throughout the years, I've done a lot of thumbs-up in photos.

11 comments:

Lori-Ann said...

Congratulations Shea! 16 years is a long time. WTG! Not too many people last that long- and are as happy as you guys seem to be. :)

Kristin said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys both look great. How was the restaurant?

Was that picture after you had Grace? I didn't know that you ever had your hair so light.

~~Mel~~ said...

You both are so adorable! Congrats on 16 years!

Shea said...

That was before I had kids Kristin. Sadly, I look as horrible as I did after I had Grace. It was not a good time. I had a friend bleach my hair and then spent a lot of time and money trying to get it brown again.

ter@waaoms said...

Neither of you have aged one bit!
happy anniversary!

Tisa said...

Who talked you into that hair color? Thats crazy, but I'm sure we all have a few of those pictures of ourselves hiding somewhere in our closet.
Happy anniversary wish you many more good years!

Susan said...

Congratulations! Happy 16th Anniversary to you both.

Anonymous said...

Boy, it gives new meaning to the old saying, "Behind every great woman is a great man". Imagine what might have happened if you hadn't met Ryan. We'll be forever thankful for what he did, and will allow him to sit at the adult table and not the kid's table when you come to visit.
We always knew what a great guy he was, but not to the full extent. Give him a big hug and kiss from me.
Love-- Dad

Natalie said...

A lot of people say that their 30's are their best years. I'd like to think that we all can leave a few bad years (and hairstyles) behind us and look forward to coming into our own. You both look great - and the twinkle in your eye says the thumbs up isn't just for show. Congrats on a happy first 16 years!

Shea said...

I think you're right Natalie, the 30's are good. Luckily you have a few more years in them than I do.

kimberlee said...

Happy Anniversary. I hope it was wonderful.