Sunday, May 23, 2010

"English -- Who needs that? I'm never going to England!"

A week or so ago I went into a business I frequent a lot in the mornings and was asked, "Hi Shea, how are you doing?" I went on to tell him that I was great, because I only had 7.25 days of school left. He seemed surprised that I was a teacher but that was pretty much the end of the conversation. Today when I went in, he mentioned to another worker that I was a teacher.

"Really? A teacher? We thought you were a writer. We play a game where we guess what people do for a living and we guessed writer."

I snort laugh and say, "No, I'm a teacher. I write a really lame blog but I'm not a writer."

"You just look so smart and put together," she explains.

I guess teachers can't look smart and put together. No, they are both really nice but it got me thinking, Maybe I should have been a writer, because apparently I look like one. Time to rethink my entire life and switch careers because someone I barely know, mentions it. (I stopped here and asked Ryan if it was correct to put quotations marks around what you are thinking. Neither of us knew. See how little I know about the technicalities of writing?)

I'm not going to switch careers because summers off is da bomb! Ryan gets this jealous/hateful look in his eyes when I remind him that I have 4.25 days left until I'm off for the summer. I tell him he should have become a teacher. He reminds me that he doesn't like other people's kids. Good point. Ryan has really stepped it up since I started working. Not like he was a slouch before but he really deserves some sort of special treat for all he does around the house. He has Fridays off and on that day off, he does everything around the house that needs to be done, so we can party it up on the weekends. Now I'm going to have to take this over and I have to say, I'd rather hire a maid on the sly. I think I'll still let him grocery shop because for some crazy reason, he can do it and spend 1/4 of what I do. He's all business with the shopping while I'm more of a go down every isle and get what is on the list but also anything that looks good, type shopper. I think it stems from the years that grocery shopping was some of my only alone time. Ryan would have the kids at home while I left to spend an hour or so of sweet quiet time while I thought of products I'd like to purchase. I have a friend whose husband makes a spreadsheet of the grocery store isles and she just marks off what she needs for him to get. These are the things Ryan's dreams are made of.

My older brother, Monti, is turning 40 this week. I only put "older" because I want him to feel old, not because I need to distinguish that he is my older, not younger brother because he's the only one I have. Only sibling also, which is cool because I like him. My favourite thing about Monti is his wit. He is F-U-N-N-Y! I don't remember thinking he was funny when we were younger but it's probably because we were busy beating on each other or searching for Star Wars action figures we buried in the gopher holes behind our house. Now, I appreciate it and I look forward to our summer Canada trip, so I can soak in some Montiness. There is more I like about him but I only dole out brotherly praise in tiny increments. So, Happy Birthday old man. I'll always be younger than you!

Monti's 22nd birthday

8 comments:

ter@waaoms said...

all my brothers are younger than me... so are all the cousins... which makes me ... pretty old. ;)

I used to want to be a teacher so I could get summers off. But then I realized I am not smart enough to be a teacher. Go figure.

Lori-Ann said...

Good luck with your last week of school...how exciting that it's almost done.

Shea said...

I should clarify that I didn't choose education just to get summers off but that is a nice perk. I wanted a career that would allow me to be home with my kids as much as possible.

Monti said...

Thanks for the kind words, Shea. I think you're fun too. It will be cool when you guys are here!

Tisa said...

Hope you have some good parents helping you out with the end of the year stuff. I have been helping Mrs. Andrews as much as I can ever since you said that there was so much to do at the end of the year.

kimberlee said...

I love the name Monti. So happy birthday to your older brother.

And only 6 days left for my kids. 2 this week and 4 next.

Enjoy your summer!

kimberlee said...

I love the name Monti. So happy birthday to your older brother.

And only 6 days left for my kids. 2 this week and 4 next.

Enjoy your summer!

Alisha said...

That's funny! You better not change careers, I'd miss you way too much!