Ryan's gone for the night to practice shooting things (I think that's the technical term), the girls are watching American Idol and I'm left in a quiet room with a computer. Perfect blogging conditions. I'm realizing that stress makes me super grumpy. Like "you don't want to be around me because your breathing is making me want to punch you" grumpy. Did I ever think about what teachers did to prepare for the end of the year? No. I thought on the last day they just shoved us out the door, gave each other high fives, smoked a few in the faculty room (I didn't grow up in complete Mormonville) and then crawled back under their rocks until I saw them again in the fall. Not so my friends, I've been spending a lot of my extra time coming up with cute ways to let my kids know how much I'm really going to miss them. It's exhausting but I'm liking the almost finished products. Ryan came today with his fancy schmancy work camera and took photos of me with all 28 students so I could make their portfolios that much more special. My mind is kind of spinning at the thought of how many photos there will be out there of me by the time I retire. I can't believe I've almost made it through the first year. I play this game with Ryan when I want him to tell me how awesome I am...
"Did you ever think I'd finish a full year of teaching?
"I guess."
"No seriously, I've taught a full year and contributed to our financial stability."
"Well, I was hoping you'd do that eventually."
"But I'm awesome right?"
"Yes, you're the best."
The other day I took Hanna to a school friends birthday party. Her house was pretty fancy and in a fancy neighborhood. There were pools in the backyards and professional landscaping. The house across the street was having a rock climbing tower installed in their backyard. This used to make me feel "poor" and then envious of their lives but instead, I just smiled. I think it was me feeling good about what I'm doing. I have a career, that helps society and that's just as good as unnecessary plastic surgery and lots of leisure time.

(The mom in this child's picture was actually a Home Depot worker who came home and told her daughter about all the shovels they sold because of a snowstorm.)
10 comments:
The end of the year is very busy and emotional! Our K graduation is on Thursday!! So much to do this week. I've been bringing little projects home every day. I actually have a student teacher right now, which has been very helpful! Still so busy, though.
I have seen that drawing before!! It is classic! :)
Some of my kids teachers have done the memory books for them and I can't get over how much work goes into them. I'm so impressed when teachers do this!! I'm sure your students will love them. My kids' books are worn to bits because they "love" them so much. Congrats on completing your first year! It's all smooth sailing to retirement now, right?!
I love the picture! I'm glad you explained it because I was totally thinking of something different. hahahaha
That picture at the end made me laugh out loud! The memory books are a wonderful item to keep for years to come and require taboodles of effort. Very nice.
Kudos to completing your first official year. Here's to lots of drinking during the summer months.
Just kidding. Maybe.
I'm sorry you've been so stressed out...but what a great way to end off the school year and make it memorable for each child!
Don't be jealous of those ppl that live in mansions and have pools and rock climbing walls in their yard...you are not living beyond your means and you are definitely making a difference in so many lives!
I wish I was coming to Chicago but someone isn't liking that idea. Having no debt is kind of cool. I like to think those people are racked with debt. ;)
Congrats on making it through the first year! :)
I remember that snow shovel drawing, hee, hee!!!!
You have definitely made a difference in your school children's lives!!
She I'm not kidding when I say this, I AM PROUD OF YOU! Won't you be so glad that next year you won't have to say that you are a first year teacher?
That is the best picture.
And I think you are awesome! I was in Isaac's class earlier this week and was thinking about evertyhing his teacher does and how hard she works. And about Teachers in general. You go girl! And next year it will be your second year teaching.
Post a Comment