Friday, June 11, 2010

Brace yourself, this will be long. Wyoming 2010.

The girls and I just got back from a few days visiting Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Mike in Wyoming. I think this vacation trumps Canada only because horses are included. If I told Hanna we were going to vacation in a pile of puke, but there were horses included, she'd put on her pink boots and do a happy dance. She really has a knack for animals and is especially good at riding. If we were fancy we'd sign her up for lessons at the local equestrian center but we's po folk, so she has to wait until she visits Mike and Char each summer. Ryan left for training in Denver before we got home (which is why he didn't come) so we haven't really been able to talk for almost a week. When I called him from Wyoming, the family was usually around and the girls wanted to talk. When I called him in Denver he was either partying it up (Rockies baseball game) or in his hotel room that he shared. Now, we are no Mike and Carol Brady, we've spent many days apart but I'm missing someone to talk to. I'm getting pretty desperate actually. I called him last night and talked at him, even though I knew it was late and he was tired. I realized that something Ryan is good at is listening and I really missed it. Plus, I can tell him anything and he won't admit to thinking I'm crazy. I have friends that I tell a lot to but there are things that only Ryan is privy to. It will be nice to have him home tonight. Plus, single parenthood is the sucks and I'm almost at the point where I'm going to black out all the windows and tell the girls it's bedtime at 3 p.m.
Photo essay
Very early every morning, Uncle Mike and the girls would drive to Dirty Annie's for breakfast. The girls are so excited about this that I think the first day we were there, they actually beat Mike to waking up. Which means they were up around 5:30. I'm never invited to Dirty Annie's so I have no idea what goes on there. I only know they either eat waffles, french toast or pancakes and that you can buy dream catchers there because Mike bought Grace a pink one. That's about it. I envision there are some characters involved since we are in rural Wyoming. Grace did spill the beans about them both riding in the front seat of Mike's Audi to get there but since it is rural Wyoming and I trust Mike implicitly, I turn a blind eye to this. They also get anthropology lessons while at Dirty Annie's. Hanna observed that people swear a lot more in Wyoming but that they are very nice. To me this says, "We need to swear more."

It was hard deciding which photos to use but I liked this one of Grace on the day of her first ride. She looks so happy.

The girls needed boots because what would a trip to Wyoming be without some sort of western wear purchase. A friend pointed out that Grace's were just like Ariels in Footloose. *Note: Not a real horse.

This is the view from Char's house. Now you know why we love to come here. Well, Char and Mike are the reason we love it but this helps.

Getting ready to ride with Cindy who is a "cowgirl". She's amazing and really teaches the girls how to ride.

I rode Turk, who I think was 20 feet high. We won't talk about how I had to trade saddles with Cindy mid-ride because the stirrups wouldn't adjust short enough for my freaky legs.


I want you to note Cindy's arms. If that's what ranching/riding does for you, sign me up! Cindy is actually an occupational therapist which could be good for arms also.

The view from the top. I let go of some of my mother angst and let the girls go straight up the steep hill on their horses. When Cindy first brought it up I totally made a Marge sound as heard at the end of this clip:


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like a dreamy mystical land. I'm glad you had a great time. Now I feel pressure to buy a horse to entice you to want to visit. I'll do it if that's what it takes...
Becky

Brooke said...

Look at you making something out of your summer. Pretty sure I've done nothing but hang out with an extremely active 10 month old who won't hold still. By the way you can always call on me to chat:). We need to decide on aday to go to park city

ter@waaoms said...

Looks like a beautiful place to visit.

If it helps, I can see horses from my back yard... so you should totally come visit me too. :)

Shea said...

Very tempting Ter. I don't need horses though, you are enough to get me to Manitoba. Brooke, I think Alisha had some ideas for dates. I'll email you guys.

Sandra said...

No disrespect to Cindy, but I seriously was wondering is she was a girl or a dude with arms like that. They could cause some serious carnage. Looks like a real fun trip.

Alisha said...

I love Wyoming in the summer! It's been forever since I've ridden a horse. Your girls look like they had so much fun! Love the boots:) Lucky you getting out and about for a fun summer!

kimberlee said...

That looks amazing. We have driven through WY many many times. In the summer it is nice, and windy. In the winter it is dang freezing cold, and windy. It looks like you had a great time minus missing Ryan. And single parenting is so hard!

Tisa said...

Wow it looks gorgeous there. I just got back from Wyoming and the weather was that nice, we had rain, wind and even hail.
The girls looked like real little cowgirls and I love those orange boots.

Susan said...

What part of Wyoming? It certainly is beautiful. Not at all the part I usually see when driving on I80.

Shea said...

They live near Greybull which is about 90 minutes from Cody. Close to Yellowstone. Well, close in Wyoming terms.

SuburbiaMom said...

Yee-haw!

Lori-Ann said...

Looks like a fantastic vacation Shea! LOVE the girls boots. They both look so happy and relaxed on their horses. :)

Shari said...

How fun! I am excited for Park City. I hope I can get the details worked out. My girls are gone this week and having my driver gone is a pain!

Kristin said...

Beautiful pictures. It looks like you guys had a great time. You have some pretty lucky girls.