Sunday, June 27, 2010

"You be Thelma. I'll be Louise."

You might have noticed I'm trying out a new blog template. Before you get all worked up, know that I hate change also but the old template was BORING. I was starting to fall asleep just looking at it. I have an idea for a blog design I want but no one seems to want to do it for me, for free, without me asking. So let me know what you think of this one and if it is universally hated, I'll try something else. Look at me, acting like the five people reading this even care.

For everything there is a season
Ryan and I drove by an closed Hollywood Video store yesterday and I made the comment that video rental stores are a business we've seen come and go in our lifetime. I really think that soon, there will be no more rental stores. That everything will be done online or at Redboxes. We use Netflix and have been happy with it. I especially like Netflix on demand because we can watch movies like the old "Clash of the Titans" or "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" by just clicking the mouse. I tried to think of other businesses that had come and gone in my lifetime but got bored and decided to ask those who read my blog to do it for me. So, can you think of any?

Summer
Kristin and I lived next to each other in Santaquin for four years. She had two boys who were the same age as my girls. I'm sure Kristin can tell many stories about my kids walking into her home uninvited and asking her for food. I didn't supervise my children very well. I contribute our nightly walk/talks to keeping me sane during some really rough times. When she told me they were moving to Missouri 4 years ago, I was not happy at all but at least we have kept in touch. I feel privileged that I'm one of a handful of people outside of her family who know the dark side of Sweet Kristin. Since Kristin grew up in Utah, they come back every summer and we get to hang out again. This year we hiked Y mountain with our kids and then spent the day at the water park. I can't believe how grown up our kids are now.

Cute picture of Hanna and Landon playing soccer in Kristin's yard. They must have been 6 here.

All of them at the water park a few years back.

So big!

Hanna and Grace at the top of the mountain

Long story short, Hanna skidded down part of the Y. Her elbows and knees were even worse.


A few years back I had someone tell me that Utah wasn't diverse or cultural. This person had lived in Utah their entire life. I started to list things our family did that I considered "cultural" and soon realized they had never done any of these things. Culture isn't just going to knock on your door and put on a play for you. You have to seek it out. With several large universities nearby, there is always something going on and usually for free. As for diversity, Utah has plenty. Ryan and I went to the Salt Lake City Arts Festival with the Quists last week and it was chalk full of diversity.

Karen doesn't like this picture (crazy?) but I've decided that until she comments on my blog, she has no say in what goes in it. Look at us, Arting it up!


I got my hair cut. My friend Christine said she likes "Short Hair Shea" and I thought that would be a good super hero name. Maybe my short hair does give me super powers? "Short Hair Shea can wash her hair faster than a speeding bullet!"


I got a new light fixture. I didn't like the lighting package we picked for our house but it was the best one they had at the time. I've been wanting to replace my dining room fixture since we moved in. I got this one on overstock.com and I like it.


*This little note is for my dad. You have been asked by several of my friends to post more comments. Apparently, they find you quite hilarious.

12 comments:

Nicole said...

LOVE your new light fixture! And I like "short hair Shea" too :)

Anonymous said...

I too like your new light fixture and your hair although I liked it long with bangs.
Mom

ter@waaoms said...

I like the light fixture too. Mine needs to be replaced.. it's from the 70's. lol. I'm pretty sure it's original with the house. ...

Lori-Ann said...

Love the short hair Shea - and the name! lol! Isn't it so nice to watch your kids grown up close to their friends - and to have such nice pictures to look back on.
Great light fixture too!!

Lori-Ann said...

Sorry forgot to mention I am loving the colours of the new blog template. :)

~~Mel~~ said...

I love your new blog template...and your new hair...and your new light fixture is super cool too!

SuburbiaMom said...

This is a very happy blog template--but in a cool way--like you! Cute hair, I like your super powers, too. And the light fixture looks fab!

Susan said...

I like the new blog look and your haircut. Hey, are you guys going to be in town next week?

Shea said...

Yes we will Susan. Send me an email or PM on facebook.

Alisha said...

Love the blog template-looks like you, really love the new light fixture, makes me want to change some things in my house and I really like "Short Hair Shea". What do you think about lunch Wed or Thurs? Give me a call or text and let me know:)

Rebecca said...

Nice hair cut. Very Charlotte like :) Look forward to seeing your new light fixture when I arrive.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing so hard at your mom's comment about liking your old bangs considering the war with Grace and her desire for bangs!!! I like the new hair but I always like your hair. Love the new light fixture although totally different than my style, I think it's very cool.