Monday, June 21, 2010

"Oh, I gotta go, my damn weiner kids are listening..."

Summer is in full swing and I'm once again responsible for my own children. I have to remember to feed them in the middle of the day and you would not realize how many more dishes that generates. I was ready to switch to paper plates but then I remembered I'm all about saving the environment. We've been having a good time though and we're getting into a routine. I'm really lucky in that the girls like to play together and they have two neighbor friends they hang out with. So like today, I've seen them for about 10 minutes. I've been doing wifey things like vacuuming and thinking about what to prepare for dinner. I'm back into cooking and trying new recipes which I like. We're eating a lot healthier and simpler. I love summer!
Speaking of ruining the environment
I'm sure you've all see the commercial for the Kleenex Hand Towel. I find it offensive. Their claim is that you get all germy and sick from sharing the same hand towel in your home. In the commercial, they demonstrate this by showing a family using a white, washcloth size towel for an entire family to wipe their hands on. Yep, that will look gross after, like, THE FIRST PERSON USES IT! They then show the family using the Kleenex Hand Towel which are just paper towels that are dispensed from a plastic container that hangs on your wall. It's ingenious because you A) have to refill it and B) it preys on America's fear of GERMS. If you buy and use this, you're basically saying "screw you" to the earth.

Things I'm glad we purchased
Before I started working full-time we were just making it financially. This was fine but it meant we didn't have a lot of money for extras. Our yard in Santaquin was done by us on a very limited budget. We didn't have automatic sprinklers, which wasn't fun at all. When we moved into this house I made Ryan promise me we'd have them and he was on board also since he was usually the one moving hose to water. What I'm getting at, besides how awesome automatic sprinklers are, is that two incomes can be fun. It makes me happy to be contributing financially. With our extra funds we purchased a lovely fence. Now I'm free to get freaky in the backyard. Naked croquet anyone? ;)
What kid doesn't like a pile of dirt?

Now I don't have to see the Natural Light cans littered in the neighbor's back yard.

Another thing I'm glad we purchased is our trampoline. We didn't just buy the cheap Walmart one and it has proven it's worth. This week we had a wicked wind storm and our tramp was blown over. The thing has to weigh 300lbs but 80 mile/hour winds will do that. The net poles were completely bent and I was worried we wouldn't be able to bend them back so they'd be usable again. Ryan and I worked on them for a bit and then a friend came over and saw we needed help. A few minutes later, the neighbors were over with proper tools and helped us fix the metal poles. Tramp is now back up and functioning. We have certainly got our monies worth out of this purchase. The kids use it at least once a day and I have been known to join them showing off my spectacular front flip.

Lucy
We didn't purchase Lucy but she costs us money so I'm counting it. I like our cat and the kids, especially Hanna, love it. The cat eats this love up! It could care less about Ryan and I but follows those kids around the house like a dog. When they go to bed at night, it sits outside their doors and cries. She has her obnoxious cat habits but for a cat found in a tire, I'd say she is working out really well.
I find a lot of these pictures on Photo Booth. Should I be concerned?

7 comments:

Gwen said...

OK, when I saw that Kleenex commercial I thought the exact!same! thing! Strange marketing move, since most companies are trying to at least appear more "green."

Your yard and fence look great! You should post some of your simple, healthy summer recipes so I can perhaps learn something! :)

SuburbiaMom said...

Naked croquet--nice. You can't go wrong with a fence, though. And so glad that the trampoline is okay. Have a great summer!!!

Alisha said...

I'm with you on the Kleenex commercial. Don't THEY know plastic doesn't decompose? Like your fence...we're looking into getting one, who did yours? You better let me know when you'll be playing croquet...I wouldn't want to walk in on a game:) When we getting together again? I missed the whole "talking while riding up the canyon" time last week. Remi isn't much of a conversationalist.

Shea said...

We went through Best Vinyl for a couple of reasons. So far, so good. We'll have to get together for lunch soon. Doesn't sound like you, me or Brooke are all that busy. ;)

Alisha said...

Nope I'm not super busy...just taking care of my baby. A least your trampoline didn't go rolling down the street...that's what happened to ours when I was little. We weren't as lucky as you we had to get a new one. Maybe lunch Friday or sometime next week?

Susan said...

The fence looks really nice. I hope it stands up to the wind. Part of our fence was blown down during a windstorm last fall. The wind was pretty bad but the wood was old. The vinyl should be nice for a long time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shea, I'm glad you are enjoying your summer holidays. I was like you and enjoyed being a mom and wife. It was great to not have an alarm clock to wake me up, be able to try new recipes and work in my yard. We are looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.
Mom