Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Walmart I Loathe Thee


I can't really put my finger on why I really hate Walmart. I know it should be for political reasons but mainly it's that they suck so much money out of our bank account. It's my fault because I'm lazy. It's just easy to go to Walmart and really it's the only store in town unless you want to pay extra. Economically it makes sense for us to shop there but I don't like this big corporation, which is slowly becoming a monopoly, taking all our money. We tried for a bit to shop at the local grocery stores but it took a lot longer and I had to stop at Walmart after anyway to buy household products. So once again Walmart won. What brought on this rant was today I had to go there to pick up supplies for a district PTA meeting our school was hosting. We had ordered a vegetable tray on Monday and told them we needed it by 9am today. I got to Walmart at 9pm and shopped around for a few other things we needed for the meeting. By the time I got to the deli to pick up the tray it was 9:25 (Walmart is also a time sucker) and when I asked for our tray the deli worker said it wasn't ready. She had not checked the orders that morning and hadn't made the tray. She said she could get it done in 20 minutes. I was mad but what could I do? So 30 minutes later I had my vegetable tray. She told me she was sorry and since it was their fault she would charge me for a medium size tray instead of a large. Wow! That is some customer service. You screw up and give me a couple of dollars off. If there had been time I'd have asked to speak to a manager but I was already late so I just checked out and left. I think I have a renewed desire to do my grocery shopping somewhere else.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you know me...I am going to have to disagree. "A day without Wal-mart is a day with out sunshine" as my Dad would jokingly say. I love Wal-mart! Prices are right and I can do most of my shoping in one place with all three kids. That stinks they didn't have your tray ready though. I think you were right to be upset!

Shea said...

I knew you'd have nothing bad to say about walmart. I think for me it's a love-hate relationship.I love good deals but I hate that they are the only game in town. I read this book about a journalist who went undercover working at walmart. She had nothing good to say about it. Nickel and Dimed. That's what it was called.

Lori-Ann said...

Shea I have a severe disliking to Walmart as well. I actually started boycotting it 2 Christmas' ago when they messed up my calendar order. I only go in as a last resort now but our grocery store is great so I'm not missing it at all!

Quinn said...

I hate walmart too and they are putting one on MY STREET! Yah, not thrilled about that at all! That intersection/free way ramp is already a huge mess. It is time to move (for more reasons than that).

Rumor has it that a Whole Foods is coming to our State. Yippie. I am trying to figure out where so I know where to move...LOL.

We usually drive to a neighboring city to go to Smiths. Not great, but better than our choices here.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, I guess I am the only one who likes Wal-Mart. Even though people say they don't like it, I can't imagine them never shopping there again. I believe it provides more good than bad, especailly to the smaller communites. If I was living in Provo where I had every store at my fingertips I wouldn't just choose Wal-Mart, but Heber doesn't have any choices, so I welcome Wal-Mart with open arms. I can't wait till next year when our new Wal-mart is finished. I am so tierd of driving down the Canyon. It will be the largest sales tax genertaor in the county and provide so many new jobs. Personally, I've had bad customer service at my local Smith's in the meat department. I think poor customer service can happen anywhere, not just at Wal-Mart. But we all have our opinions I guess.

Shea said...

Amanda why don't you marry Walmart?HAHAHAHA!

Nicole said...

I don't really care for Walmart. I rarely shop there.

Anonymous said...

You know you can't live with out wal-mart in Payson. It seems like most of the time when you call me you are on your way or from wal-mart. Hmmmmm, I think someone likes it more than they are letting on. hehehehehe!

Tyla'sMommy said...

I spend alot of my hard earned money at Walmart. Not because I want to, but because there really isn't another place where I can get the same kind of items. We don't have the supercentres like you do, so it's not a grocery store (yet). We do have a few grocery iles though. I would like it if I could go just once a month, but it seems I end up there every week or sometimes more! Imagine how much more I'd go if I had a l/c!