Monday, February 25, 2008
Sex education in the Nordstrom family bathroom
On Saturday we were killing some time in the mall before we had to head to Salt Lake for the Jazz game. Grace had to go to the bathroom so we headed to Nordstom because everyone knows they have the best bathrooms. Plus they have the magical skinny mirror that makes me look 5'9" and 115 lbs. The family bathroom was miraculously vacant so I quickly snatched that one up. Inside they had a tampon/sanitary pad dispenser and Grace was curious about what it was. I decided it was time to stop using my usual response of "it's mommy stuff" and actually tell them what it was all about. Isn't that what Nordstrom family bathrooms are for? We had it all to ourselves so we might as well have a little lesson about menstruation. I told them the basics and I got the expected "ewww gross" from Hanna and shocked look from Grace. I told them not to worry, that it didn't happen until you were a teenager. I made the mistake of telling them it meant your body was ready to have babies to which Hanna queried whether I had given birth to a baby when I was a teenager. sigh. Hanna wanted to know if it hurt so I told a little white lie and told her "not really". Sorry but I'm not telling my eight and six year old daughters that, "Yes, by golly, it hurts. Some months it hurts so much you want to reach up there and pull your uterus out. Oh and as an added bonus it can make you bitchy and irrational." They seemed to be fine with my little impromptu lesson and we left the bathroom. When we met up with Ryan I let him in on what had just happened and Miss Big Ears overheard and asked Ryan if he menstruated? He told her that men didn't do that to which she replied, "That's not fair!" You said it sister!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Shea OMGoodness I am laughing so hard.. you gotta love kids questions.
You are such a good mommy to use the teaching moment. Love mom
hahaha... I had the same thing happen in a Barnes and Noble bathroom... we were walking out and sarah said" look mom, they charge $0.10 for a napkin..weird.. then.. Whats a tampon????"..so I launched into it...walking through BN and on way home in car, I hear her quietly say " I wish I didn't knw that... I really wish I didn't know that"..hahahaha
Michelle thanks for the comment. I was cracking up reading that one. Poor girls.
That is soooo funny! It's has got to be do hard to find that perfect time for the "talks", but now that I know that Nordstrom's has the perfect family bathroom......
Your girls are quite inquisitive. Maybe it just because my boys could care less about anything else other then power rangers, star wars, and themselves. It will be interesting with Lydia growing up if she's anything like her mother….very curious, about everything!
Post a Comment