Tuesday, May 19, 2009

all the baking soda in the world could not mask the scent of her despair

I had another interview today and when I met the principal he said, "I've heard good things about you." I said, "From whom?" But in my head I'm thinking, "Who told him good things about me? Who would do such a thing?" He told me that the other principal I interviewed with referred me to him and said I had a very good interview. Good, because she thought enough of me to refer me to another principal, bad because it most likely means her position was already filled. I haven't got the official email yet telling me I didn't get the first job but I think it's coming. There is still hope for the second job but after I had the interview I thought of how I could have answered questions better. I think it is kind of played out to say, "my strength is that I love kids too much." but after this interview I realize that is the kind of thing principals want to hear, maybe just not that cheestastically. So instead of pushing how professional, creative or personable (that's right!) I am, I need to slip more, "I love kids" in there. I think I am kind of a good interviewer. You should see me in there, you wouldn't even recognize me. I'm smiling, laughing, making lots of eye contact and just generally charming. I'm going to call it "Interview Shea" or "Work Shea".

Today I reached a new milestone by running 8 miles. I ran for an hour and 16 minutes which is really a long time. I have a lot of time to think when I'm running. I thought a lot today about my interview and how I can improve on my answers. I thought about "The Year of Shea" and that so far it's going pretty well but that I need to work on not letting people, who I don't respect, have control over me. While I was thinking/running, Hanna came downstairs to "life weights" and she looked really cute in her little exercise outfit she put together. So that got me thinking about my kids, who I think are cute, and what features of theirs I wish I had. Yep, I covet my kids features. I decided I would like Grace's hair and lips and Hanna's long skinny legs and arms. Oh and Hanna also has six-pack abs that are pretty amazing. These are just some of the weird things I think about when running. I'm not always thinking and sometimes run for a long time just listening to music while staring at the water heater.

My bestest friend from Michigan, Mel, sent me this shirt from My Mottoz just because she thinks I'm super awesome. Okay it's because I beat her in a running challenge but she is a very worthy adversary and I know I'll be sending her something soon. I was about to go on a bike ride with the kids when this picture was taken. On the ride, Grace wiped out and that just added to my anxiety about them riding their bikes in Beaumont, which is a bit busier than Santaquin. Luckily the neighbours have huge yards with fences so I've decided they must be fenced in at all times. That way, everyone wins! ;)



I was in Target today buying dryer sheets and they had the Bounce dye-free, perfume-free that I normally buy, plus a Target store brand. The store brand was about 50 cents less. This to me, is not a big enough discount for me to buy generic. Then I started thinking about how much something had to be discounted for me to buy generic. I think if it would have been $1 I might have switched. I kind of have a thing where I will not buy certain generic products (Kraft Dinner, Jif, Wheat Thins, GoldFish, Diet Pepsi) but Target could have convinced me to buy generic dryer sheets if they would have discounted them a bit more. How discounted does it have to be for you to buy generic? I guess I should think of any saving as good. Be all thrifty and shit.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shea, I guess I could have called you at 10:00 and you would have been up. I'm glad your interview went well. I'm really impressed with your exercise sticktoitivness. Is that a word? Mom

Ter said...

lol shea I am loving your shirt. So funny.

Good for you for keeping up with the running. I always had a secret desire to be a runner. well not so secret, obviously.

Natalie said...

An hour and 16 min, that's awesome! I think I need your shirt... maybe someone chasing me will motivate me to run a little faster and longer. Good luck with the interviews!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout Shea!!!! You did great with the 8 miles...I gotta long way to catch up to you! was it treadmill or outside? i think if I run outside this summer its gotta be early..

anyway....you will always kick my ass..so well...i will just keep the shirts coming....i know which ones you like!!!

Mellykins

Susan said...

I love the shirt. Where did she find it? As for generic items, I'm buy a lot of them. Most of my cart is filled with Safeway items.

Kristin said...

Way to go on the 8 miles. I am very impressed. I have had a bad month as far as the running goes - broken toe and bronchitis woes. But my plan is to be back at it tomorrow. I should still be good for a 5K in a month. I will look into that again.

We bought a box of generic wheat thins a while back at our local Hyvee and the crackers were completely burnt. They tasted like burnt card board. And the saddest part of the story is that we still ate them. We were all starving and bought them on our way out of town. We complained while we polished off the whole box. LOL

Shea said...

Susan I put the link on the blog but it's www.mymottoz.com.

Kristin I can just see you all huddled over you bag of generic wheat thins.

Michelle said...

Great job on the 8 miles, that's awesome. I laughed at your description of "Interview Shea". I have had those same thoughts, I have an "Inteview Michelle" that I use too. I think she is closer to my "true inner self" anyway, lol.

Why don't you use the smelly dryer sheets - that might help your workout clothes smell fresher? :) I normally buy dye-free/perfume free because of my kids sensitive skin - although not with fabric softener and they seem to do fine.

Shea said...

I don't dry my workout clothes Michelle. They are made of that ninja material that you have to wash in cold and line dry.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the running Shea!

I buy store brand for alot of products. As long as it tastes the same as the regular or is the same or lower in carbs than regular or performs as well as the name brand. We have some really good store brands. I did buy some crappy lower priced (not store brand) fabric softener and it clogged up my washer and won't go away. Won't buy that again but of course I won't throw it out either. (I never claimed to be smart!) I figure even $.50 per product per week adds up pretty quickly. But I am SUPER cheap! Oh and I do not substitute anything for my Diet Coke. ;)

Anonymous said...

I always buy Del Monte canned fruit - I just can't cross the line to generic fruit cocktail.
In looking back to a job interview that ended in disappointment for me, I think I was maybe too jovial - but that is only because of the type of job I was going out for. I felt so devasted/rejected when I didn't get it - took it totally personally - cause really how can you not? It is hard to put yourself out there. I am proud of your job interview efforts and running abilities. The weather is lovely today - maybe I will go for a run? Who knows what the day will bring - beside Terminator Salvation?
Becky

Lori-Ann said...

I have a tough time buying generic food items but I have made the switch when it comes to baby shampoo, and apple juice drinking boxes since the kids don't seem to care.
Love your shirt!!

Shea said...

That's funny Lori because I have to buy Johnson and Johnson baby wash. My kids still use that for their soap. I buy generic apple juice boxes also. They are usually discounted a lot.