As you all know, Sunday was Mother's Day and that means the talks in church were about mothers. Usually this is a day where I'm forced to listen to stories about fabulous supermoms that only make me feel like the worst mom ever. This Mothers Day was an exception. A man was talking about his mother and how great she was, and she did sound great, then he told this story. His mom was driving with him and his three young siblings (he mentioned that they were not in seat belts) when the car stalled on the railroad tracks. He said his mom tried to get the car going again and was eventually able to roll it back so it wasn't centered on the tracks. Then a train started coming and he said his mom heard the Holy Ghost tell her to get out of the car. He then goes on to say that his mom watched in horror as the train hit the car with her three little kids inside. Fortunately, they only suffered minor injuries. I look at Ryan, Ryan looks at me and I whisper in his ear, "That was the worst Mother's Day story ever!" I don't get it. Wouldn't the first thing you'd do if you stalled your car on railroad tracks be to get your three little kids out of the car and to safety? I would rather risk my life than watch a train hit my car with my kids inside. It seems to me that she had plenty of time since she was able to mess around with the car for a bit on the tracks. This story has been bugging me since I heard it. I don't get what the point was? Where is the heartwarming ending or moral? Let it go Shea.
Part Where I Go Crazy
Yesterday I sent the girls home with Nana because I needed to take today off to finish my cover letter, print out resumes and hand deliver them to schools I'm applying at. If you know me, the hand delivering part is about as out of my comfort zone as it gets. I think I'm going to have this wonderful sleep in since I don't have to get up to go to work but at 7 a.m. the phone rings and Nana is telling me that Hanna doesn't feel well. Hanna isn't a whiner (like the other one) so I know she must really not be feeling well. So now my plans for the day involve driving back to Santaquin which is what I really was looking forward to not doing. I spend the rest of the morning trying to make my cover letter perfect (didn't happen) and printing everything out. Then I head out to do my hand delivering. Well our GPS doesn't like the Utah grid system so I can't figure out how to enter in the first school. I drive to pretty much nowhere Beaumont*, using up about a half tank of gas and finally find the school about three miles from my house. Then I drive to another town, which is kind of fancy, and as I'm driving by all these huge houses I keep thinking, "Here I am, schlepping from town to town in my mini-van basically begging for a job and these people probably spend more on yard care in a year than what I'll eventually make." Say what you want but I think money makes some things in life much easier. It was just a nightmare day. At the first school I realize I addressed the principal as Baker on my cover letter but his name is Becker. The last school I went to, the principal was actually interviewing someone for my job as I dropped my resume off. Not a good sign. Also weird because online it says the job closes tomorrow. I didn't realize they interview before the job closes. So yeah, I'm frustrated, weary and nursing my bruised self-esteem. Today I told myself that it might not happen this year, that I might be subbing or working as a tech again. It's okay. I just have to start building those relationships again and hopefully that will lead to a job. I have a good work ethic and once people get to know me, I'm usually thought of favorably. I was offered my current job without even knowing about it or applying for it so that means something, right? This whole process has really made me feel for people who are out of work in this economy. At least I don't have to work or have a family to support. That's got to be tough.
*My cousin Chelle wins the prize for coming up with a pseudo name for our town. I'm going to send her a package of pop rocks, porridge, Mormon Baseball, seashells, kittens, manure, duMauriers and a Wayne Gretzky wind-up air hockey game.
We love you 1984 Chelle!

9 comments:
ugh I don't understand that story either, not as a feel good mothers day story!
and I totally understand your frustrations for looking for a job. I have also noticed that alot of jobs are advertised but they aren't really available, they just have to post them because the person's contract ran out but they plan to extend it. However the unions require them to post and interview for those positions! Crazy! Why waste your time (and other people's time) interviewing them, knowing darn well there's no job..>??
good luck!
Okay, that is just the most bizarre mother's day story. I don't get it either. Also, I wish you luck with the job hunt. Hey, here's an idea -- have Ryan deliver your resume for you. :) The last time Jeff was looking for a job he had me deliver a couple of applications to a couple of schools.
I love Beaumont! Great secret name.
I was thinking that the story was going to be like....We were stuck on the tracks and my wonderful mom picked up the car with her bare hands and moved the car off of the tracks right before the train came...(that would have been much better) I think if that were my mom I might have had self-esteem problems for the rest of my life!
I also thought it would end miraculously but no, she just watched the train hit the car.
DUH! She listened to the spirit and all was well. Read between the lines people! haha...;) Kids are resilient, they can get hit by trains and bounce right back, don't ya know?
Shea, I so love it when you mention me in your posts, I feel so special. ya know what would make me feel even more special? If you added my name to your "what i talk about" list. ;)
And I wish that you wouldn't play around with my mind like that, making promises you can't keep...could use a dumaurier right now (cough, cough)!
I don't think I'd need the spirit to tell me to get out of my car when a train was going to hit it. :)
The duMauriers made me laugh. Good times Chelle. I googled for minutes last night trying to find that Gretzky spinning hockey game and could not find it. Usually the internet has everything.
maybe the mom told her kids that if they kept fighting, a train would hit their car...what a great teaching/learning opportunity?
Shea, really, thanks for trips down memory lane, it makes me all teary eyed, minus the reminders of me being a bad example/friend ;). I forgot to tell you, that I have all the shells that we collected, have I told you that? I'll send you some if you'd like. It's a nice lil keepsake.
Shea that really is a disturbing story... I can't get it out of my head now. What mother would do that?
Good luck with the job search!!
I really can't believe they told that story IN CHURCH ON MOTHER'S DAY! Was is supposed to make everyone feel better about the job they do as mothers? "However bad a mother you are, you can't be as bad as mine was!" WOW!
Post a Comment