Tuesday, June 09, 2009

This is why I never wanted a sister

I did want a sister, in fact begged my mom for one, when I was (I think) 12 years old. I told her if she just had the baby, I would take care of it. I had dreams that I had a baby sister and I kept it in my doll cradle by my bed. It was probably named something like Roxanne or Diane. In reality I was stuck with a mean older brother, who became cooler as we got older. When I got older I realized that having a brother was the best because you didn't have to worry about being thinner than him or fight over clothes or boyfriends. I talk to friends who tell me stories about a parent favouring one sister over another and I feel glad I don't have that kind of competition. I feel special because I'm the only girl and Monti probably feels special because he is the only boy. Now I realize that if I had a sister, I would probably think differently but this blog isn't about "imaginary Shea" but "boring old real Shea". When I had my second daughter I starting to think about how they would interact with each other. Would they fight or be best friends? Would I favour one over the other? Would one be cute/smart and the other ugly/dumb? I didn't know how the whole sister dynamic would work. I'm happy to say that they are both cute/smart and the do get along well most of the time. There is one problem we've been having that I don't really know how to deal with, Grace weighs more than Hanna. Probably for about a year now, Grace has outweighed Hanna by maybe 3-5lbs. The reason they know this is because they like to play on the electric scale. At first I thought it was no biggie because they just thought it was fun. Now I hear things like, "Lamefriend makes fun of me because I told her I weigh more than Hanna." Obviously Grace, for some weird reason, likes to tell her friends this. I think it's because she is masking the deep pain of weighing more than her older sister. I like to overreact like that. They both are a healthy weight but they are built differently, as they have been from birth. I don't think one eats more or gets less activity, in fact I think Grace can be more active than Hanna. I don't want this to be a life long thing where they compare each other's weights. I decided to hide the scale and we're going to have a "family night" about being healthy and everyone has different bodies. I've told each of then many times that everyone's bodies are different and no one in this family is "fat" but I worry that it's not sinking in. I'm a good example for exercising but I'm sure I let things slip about being unhappy about my body. That is something I'm going to work on. We are also going to work on eating healthier which to me means more fruits, vegetables and no more Luther Burgers.

8 comments:

Ter said...

Maybe you can find online a guide to talking to your children about weight and body types being different, etc. Personally, I would never look at your kids and even remotely consider them overweight. Not at all. But in looking at them now I can definitely see that Grace will be more of a curvy woman than Hannah, but they both are beautiful girls and I hope that you are able to inflict positive thinking on them, and that they will grow up to know that they are beautiful and their bodies are just fine the way they are. :)

Shea said...

My Irish friend Adie made this comment about the post on my FB and I thought it was so good, I asked if I could put it here.

Good idea Shea. I don't even own a scales, I think there's far too much emphasis on being "thin" or "fat"; and it being "good" or "bad". So many people eat well and exercise to be thin, rather than because it's healthy, and might just keep us all alive and well, and healthy and strong enough to enjoy our lives.

I have a "no junk during the week" rule, Monday to Friday the kids don't get any junk food, no crisps, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, anything like that (and mostly we don't either). Weekends they're allowed a treat. Last weekend, they chose to get a comic and a tattoo, which means that they don't see sweets/chocolate as the "forbidden fruit", which everyone told me they would. But I've had this rule in place now for 17 years, and it seems to be working!

We live healthily - it's our way of living. It's not about being seen to be a "perfect" size, or that it's "wrong" if you're not, it's about health, putting good stuff into our bodies, not crap.
Good on you!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had that same problem but I have heard my kids make comments about peoples weight. Not good or bad but I don't like the comments at all. I don't want my kids judging anyone but at the same time I have explained to them about eating well and being active to stay healthy. I hope that my advice doesn't turn into a soapbox lecture from my girls to someone else.

Andrea

Lori-Ann said...

Oh Shea I'm just starting to get into this with Vanessa... not from her noticing her weight but my mom has been commenting that she's looking a little thick and I wouldn't be surprised if she was outweighing Ty very soon. My boys are both so skinny scrawny and Vanessa is not...more like I was. I'm trying very hard not to make it an issue. I like the no scales rule but while they are young I like to know they are putting weight on rather then loosing... Being a girl is hard enough - raising one, well I just hope I don't mess her up too much :)

Anonymous said...

Where can I get me a Luther Burger?
I am sure you are handling things fine with your kids - as long as they are eating a variety and active it sounds good.
Looking forward to seeing you guys.
Becky

SuburbiaMom said...

Good ideas to hide the scale and to have a family night about healthy body image! My girls have different builds as well....

Shea said...

Lor I've got to tell you that Vanessa does not look "thick". Ryan's dad used to make comments about Grace being "chubby". Both Ryan and I told him to stop it and he has. I was furious because, as a girl, I know how hurtful those things can be. I did Grace's BMI online and she is in the 50th percentile for weight. Hanna was in the 5th. Grace is probably the more healthy child.

Natalie said...

Hailey and I have different body types to an extent. She has bigger boobs, I have bigger hips. I have straight teeth and she's had all kinds of dental work. She got her period earlier (not before me, thank goodness, just at a younger age). I have spider veins, she doesn't. Etc, etc.... But, we both have sore feet and many more things in common that make us good friends. We are only 18 months apart, so there was always an unspoken competition to some degree. At the end of the day, I can't say that our Mom did anything in particular but healthy food and being active were always important. The bottom line, I guess, is that we always felt loved and were treated completely fairly -- so we're mostly ok! ;)

Good luck!