This is an actual conversation I had with the girls last week. We had just come back from an open house at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and I asked them if they would like to be married in the temple. They said they would and I asked them if they knew what they needed to do to be able to do that. What I should have said (thanks Karen) was, "You need to keep the commandments." Instead I said, they had to refrain from drinking/smoking/doing drugs and they couldn't be having sex*. I'm horrible at these off-the-cuff conversations and am guilty of giving way too much information. See how wrong this conversation goes, if not to just feel better about your own parenting.
Hanna: Why can't you have sex? I thought when you get married so you can do that?
Me: Yes, you can have all the sex you want after you're married but it's better to save that for after you're married. Having sex before you're married can lead to things like having a baby before you want one or getting a disease.
Hanna: I don't want a baby! What kind of diseases?
Me: Diseases you can only get from having sex. (I now realize this conversation is not going how I wanted it to. I'm making sex sound like a horrible thing that gives you diseases!)
Hanna: Gross!
Me: Wait, no um it's...
Grace: What's sex?
Me: Well it's what you do when, um it's...(I'm about to say "When a man and a woman love each other very much, the man takes his...)
Hanna: It's what dad talked to me about last year and I started crying but I'm older now.
Me: Maybe we need to sit you both down and have a talk about this, later.
HAPPIER THINGS
Ryan's mom has been wanting to go on the Heber Valley Railroad for quite some time, so she invited us to go along with her this weekend. It was really beautiful in the canyon because of all the rain we've had.
We both got haircuts this week. Can you even tell? I highlighted mine for the first time in years. Whatever. I'm digging it but having a hard time making it "messy" like Chad told me to do. It just wants to go straight. Can't fight nature.
The train stopped halfway because we were being held up by outlaws. The kids thought this was great.
I signed my contract on Friday which means I'm officially hired by the district. I feel like such a grown-up. To celebrate I bought these shoes. I know, not something you might normally see me sporting but I thought they'd look great for the summer with dresses. They make me feel super tall and has me wondering why God didn't make me that tall to begin with. I almost returned them because of their impracticality but instead told Ryan I was keeping them and that, "I was going to rock these shoes!" He said, "I don't know what that means."
*There are certain requirements that Mormons must meet before they can be married in the temple. These are just a few of them.
16 comments:
yikes!
Those shoes would probably cause me to fall and break something.
and heh well, I guess you won't be the sex ed. teacher. ;)
Oh no! Diseases huh? Sounds like a great tactic to me.
I really like the shoes, seeing them being worn. They look really good.
Hi Shea,
I can't wait until Hanna and Gracie get here this week so I can tell them all about sex. Who better to do it than Granpa, whom they trust.
Love Dad
Note to self: Don't let Grandpa communicate with the children.
So funny that about how my conversation will go with my kids when I have to tell them about sex. So far all they know is that its when a mom and dad kiss :( I know I have probably scared them for life. As a side note I love the shoes you are definitly rocking them way to go :)
Shea..I was cracking up at your conversation with the girls..OMG I haven not had a conversation with my kids about this yet...Your communication skills are top notch! LOL I loved it...that is probably how it would go down at our house except marc would be like "STOP STOP STOP...." LOL I am notorious for sharing too much!
Mel
I love the shoes. Where did you find them? Your hair looks great too. Thanks for the laugh this morning. Your dad always makes the best comments.
Kristin, I got the shoes at Dillards.
I think maybe it's time to find a book about sex. American Girl has a great book about puberty but nothing about sex. Wish they would help me out.
Shea....are you so funny!!! I don't know how I will ever survive these years to come!!!
and the shoes really do rock :)
So funny! I love Hanna's comment about crying, but now she's older.
You are doing a great job, some people don't even talk to their kids about sex. I'm calling you when that time comes. (or maybe Karen...) Ohh, love the shoes and congrats on the job!
Oh wow, that didn't go too well,did it? lol. I'm planning on covering that conversation in home schooling ;-). Book suggestion: "What's the Big Deal? Why God Cares About Sex" (for 8-11 year olds.) Or maybe you'd prefer to read "How and When To Tell Your Kids About Sex" book. heheh......
haha. great post.
Cheryl I might check those books out, thanks. Tiffany I would call Karen but she'll just threaten to take you for a milkshake. :)
Thanks for being so real Shea. I can totally visualize this conversation! The shoes are cool too. I would not be able to walk in them and am impressed you can! I would probably fall and break something. Yeah, the AG book doesn't cover sex. I have a title jotted down around here somewhere....if I can find it I'll post it.
JenH
Oh, sex, sex, sex.... Maybe the girls will forget about it for a while ;).
Fun shoes, hope they don't hurt to walk in!
OMG Shea I'm killing myself laughing at your sex talk with the girls...we're not there yet with our kids but I'm sure it will be coming soon.
Love the shoes!
Post a Comment