Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mystery Solved

A few weeks ago we noticed these animal droppings on our front porch. They were too big for a mouse and since Beaumont has voles we thought that might be it. It just seemed strange that a vole would come to our house at night just to poop on our porch. I told Ryan he should just sit out there one night until the mystery animal stopped by for it's nightly poop. He didn't think that sounded like a great idea. I also said we should get a cat to rid us of our supposed vole problem. I have to admit voles kind of freak me out with their pointy teeth and all, so I was all for getting rid of it.

Then I googled vole and they actually aren't that scary. I thought it would be like a rat with pointy, sharp teeth but it actually looks like a hamster. Still, it's poop is annoying, so laters vole. Last night Ryan went outside after dark to enjoy some of our last warm nights on the porch and discovered what was the cause of the nightly poop. He asked me, "Do you really want to know?" Which caused me to freak out even more because I started to think of super creepy things in my mind, like leprechauns or hill people. I told him I did want to know because not knowing was worse. Well, it's a bat. Yep a little bat likes to come to our porch at night to hang out and poop. It isn't a huge deal, I'm not worried about bats as long as they aren't flying in my face or hair or sucking my blood. Mainly it's the amount of feces it leaves on my porch that I find irritating. So we are going to think of a humane way to get our bat to find a new home. Mystery solved.

11 comments:

Ter said...

a bat?! that's weird!

I wonder if buying a bat house (and yes, that's a real thing) will help. I don't know, or maybe they won't want to go there. Well I hope you find a solution to your problem!

Shea said...

I will tell Ryan about the bat house. We actually wouldn't mind the bat staying elsewhere in the yard because they'll eat the bugs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shea,
Have Ryan go on the net and look up bat house there should be some plans for a bat house . the town of Magrath is encouraging people to build and install bat houses to control mosquitoes. Bats will eat their weight in mosquitoes every night.
love dad

Lori-Ann said...

Yikes - I think I'd prefer a vole then a bat. Good luck with that!

Anonymous said...

Funny thing: Jason and Wendi also have a bat living on their front porch, they've adopted it as a part of their family and named it "kevin". They like that it eats their bugs also.

Shea said...

Thanks sweet Baylee. It's so good to hear from a 7 year old who is so articulate. BTW I'm mailing your sunglasses soon.

Kristin said...

Now that you know it comes from a bat, you can call it guano. That sounds much fancier than poop. LOL. I think that bats are super creepy and really cool. I had a little crush on one of my TAs at BYU that was researching bats for his thesis. He was creepy and cool too and kind-of looked like a bat.

Anyway, good luck with that. LOL

Kim S said...

Does this mean your secret identities as Batman and Batgirl have been revealed?

Shea said...

Oh Kristin, stop trying to show us all how much of a genius you are. Guano. Whatev.

To the Batcave!

Susan said...

I always thought bats were pretty cool especially after reading Stellaluna. Though I can't say I would want them pooping on my front porch.

ChristineR said...

My Mom also had a bat house attached to her home in NY when I visited last month. See? All the cool kids use them! ;)