Thursday, March 04, 2010

I'm going to drive around in my van solving mysteries

Great news! My job is safe and I'll be back teaching first grade next year. Whew! This was a big worry for me even though my principal was reassuring. He gave me the good news today and I wanted to cry but I didn't because I feel like I cry enough in front of my coworkers. The other day at lunch I was reminded that my team still doesn't know everything about me. I was complaining about the huge pimple on my back that really hurt when I sat against the hard faculty room chairs. With a serious face, I asked if anyone would pop it for me? The looks of surprise and disgust on their faces made me bust out laughing. I told them it was the test of true friendship if you could pop each other's pimples. Okay, so we're not there, yet. After we discussed the subject in more detail(while Shari held back from vomiting) Brooke told me, in so many words, that she was glad they hired me because I fit right in.

Something we almost bought
When we purchased the Grand Caravan back in 2004 the circumstances in our lives were much different. Ryan's mom was recovering from an illness that we assumed would leave her unable to drive on her own and in need of a wheelchair. We were also in the midst of trying to have a third baby. The van seemed like a perfect choice. Enough room to fit a third child, and with the automatic doors, it looked like a good option if you were transporting someone who was disabled. It was our first new car and it smelled so good! I've loved that van. The room, the DVD system, the stow-and-go seating and auto doors. But, as you know, life doesn't always turn out like you planned. Ryan's mom made a miraculous recovery and didn't need us to take care of her, third baby took 4 miscarriages and Evie for me to realize it wasn't going to happen. So now, I'm stuck driving this big van with two kids. It's not a big deal really because the roominess is great, it's just that I'm not much of a van person anymore. I'm grown up with a big girl jobby job and I want to drive a "cool" car. This week, Toyota announced they would be offering 0% financing and Ryan, who likes Toyota's, brought up the idea of getting a new car. Now this is the difference between Ryan and I, he brings up the idea, thinks about it practically and then comes to a decision based on what is best for us. I think, "I'M GETTING A NEW CAR!, and get online to start building my new Toyota Highlander. This was the conversation in bed the other night:

Ryan: So I've been thinking about the car. What do you think?
Me: Well the van still can be traded in for a good amount, we can afford it, and new cars are shiny!
Ryan: I've been thinking, we are finally saving money and there are some things we'd like to do with that money. Our van still runs well, so really, it's a no-brainer.
Me: No new shiny car?

I know Ryan is right and I felt disappointed for maybe half a day but then I thought about our plan to finally get to Europe and my secret plan for a family vacation involving a beach. These do sound more fun than a new car. I figure the car will come sometime and like Karen said, when it does, I'll get an even better car! So I'll own my mom van and I'm going to drive that baby into the ground. I might even let Ryan paint a unicorn and a rainbow on the side and get some curtains for the windows.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never realized how cool our van looks until I saw the picture you posted. Thinking about it now, painting that "Charlie's Angels" logo on the side really was the right choice. Ry

Nicole said...

So glad your job is safe!

A trip to Europe sounds WAY better than a new car ;)

SuburbiaMom said...

My husband and I aren't even true friends--if you go by the pimple rule!! :)

You are so funny--"new cars are shiny!!!"

Alisha said...

So glad you'll be here next year:) And don't worry...you don't cry too much in front of us. You should have seen me my 1st year...I was a wreck! Loved your description of lunch the other day:) Good luck getting your new SHINY car!

ter@waaoms said...

I love my van though sometimes it feels ridiculous that it's just me in there. But after I smushed up the car we had to get something else, and since we have a dog and were going to ttc again soon, we thought it would be a good choice and then a few weeks later we found out he has cancer and you know the rest of the story. though honestly, i can't see myself going back to a car again. I like the height of the van, especially with my bad hip and knee! (man do I sound like a senior citizen or what?)

I'm glad your job is safe for at least another year and that you like your school. It helps when you like your job.

I see you now ride an unicycle... (your mini you on sidebar)I suspect your dance moves in real life are similar too. ;)

Lori-Ann said...

I just can't stop laughing at Ryan's comment... Now I want a Charlies Angel van!! lol! So happy for you about your job.

Shea said...

Ter I do love a lot of things about the van, especially the height because I'm short and like feeling tall. I'm just not liking the cool factor. I'm shallow like that. It has been a great car for us though.

Right now my Nike person is telling me I'm a couch potato. No unicycle for me I guess. I have been going to spin so suck it mini!

Shari said...

Yes, the pimple thing did make me sick. Thanks for bringing it up again on your blog. Am I not safe anywhere! :) My van could totally be made into a Charlie's Angel van. Maybe we could have it as a first grade project!

Shea said...

You need to toughen up Shari. You would have loved the puking in my room this morning. Yum! Your van would look awesome like that. I say we go for it. Then we can drive to lunch and look cool.

Tisa said...

I agree that a trip sounds better. You are thinking like a real adult now, I am proud of you!

Susan said...

Congratulations on teaching first grade again next year! I feel you about the van. We have two kids and have an Odyssey. It just feels too big. I've been eyeing the Subaru Outback. I just like the look of it. But, we just finished paying off the minivan so I'm stuck with it for a good long time.

liz j said...

You crack me up. I love reading your blog! (This is Darin's wife by the way.)

Shea said...

Hi Liz! Thanks for the comment. I love comments.

Anonymous said...

YES! Someone else running their car into the ground while saving for a trip to Europe!! My car is starting to get rusty though and that is so embarrassing to me. I hate being shallow like that but I am. It will be worth it though: just picture going from cathedral to castle to other notable landmark while your kids, so overwhelmed by history and beautiful architecture, kill each other with constant bickering. Ahhhh, can't wait!

Shea said...

You are better than me Dori. We decided not to take the kids. We'll wait until they are older and will appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing about the pimple. That is funny!! Glad you have nice coworkers and it sounds like they are starting to get you! I hear ya on the van. I was so glad to get mine years ago...tinted windows? Yeah! No more baby shades. I also envisioned a larger family, but it did not work out that way. Am ready to move on something that fits me better...but yeah...a couple years left on the truck. I told Paul we are paying that truck off next year with our tax return. He is like Ry though...wants to use the money for other things. Men. So practical.

JenH

Natalie said...

I traded in a nissan maxima to drive a mini van. There are many days that I regret that decision because the cool factor went from 10 to 0, but the van is so much more practical. I can take my two kids, my friend's two kids, my HUGE dog and a bunch of stuff in the van - whereas the maxima was pure performance. In the end, it does make my life easier and that is significant.
Congrats on the job!

kimberlee said...

That is a cool van. I don't love our van. We have a Dodge too and more recently a newer oddysey and I drive the Dodge more because sadly, it is more reliable. LOL. I think we need to sell the Honda and get out from under the payment, but what do I know. We sold my other 'baby' which was my '95 Toyota 4-runner. I loved that car. But we needed the money. Darn it.

Great news on teaching next year.