Sunday, March 14, 2010

she was one frozen entree away from a nervous breakdown

I hit a wall this weekend in regards to winter. We got a taste of nice weather this week and I had high hopes for the weekend. It wasn't to be and instead it snowed and blew most of the weekend. This morning I got up in the nasty mood. I went online and caught up on some blog type reading that only left me in a worse mood. Now that I'm working in public education I'm very sensitive to people who criticize it. Do they realize that some days I start crying in class after reading with a group of children because I worry about their reading abilities? That I spend my free time finding resources that will challenge my students who are above grade level? Or that I dream at night about students who are struggling because they are in my thoughts so much? Does that sound like I only care about test scores, rote memorization and churning out worksheets? I know I shouldn't let others opinions bother me but teachers and public education are attacked so often that it's hard to ignore all the time. I know the system is not perfect by any means but most teachers try to give your child the best education they can.

Whew! That rant is over. Back to the horrible weather that gives me a huge case of the sads. I haven't been running (my Nike Mini mocks me) and only made it to one spin class this week. For me exercise=good mental health and without it, things go downhill fast. I ate so badly this weekend that my body violently revolted. My muffin top is turning into a whole loaf of bread. Mmmm...bread. I'm not being a great parent as evidenced by my lack of empathy when child #2 told me she would be sleeping on the floor in her room because she didn't have lunch. Well, lunch was provided but it wasn't up to her standards. I know things in my life are good, I really do. That is how depression works, life can be great but you still feel bad. I was told when I was younger that journal writing isn't supposed to be all happy puppies and sunshine because that's not how life really is. It is time though, to get out of this funk and do something about it. So this week I'm determined to be and do better. Spring will come, the sun will shine, spring break will start and I'll be happy, full of positive-rainbow-kitten-filled thoughts, Shea again.

What a difference some sun makes
It's been a couple of sun filled days since I wrote the first part of this post. I'm feeling much better. Spring is in the air and life seems good again. No, I'm not bi-polar but the weather affects me a lot. Yesterday I had the privilige of going with Hanna to her fifth grade maturation program. Things like that are the reason I'm very happy I'll still be in the same school with them. They've come a long way since the dated film strip that was shown when I was in fifth grade but it's basically the same facts, minus the belted pads. I told Hanna that if she is anything like me, she doesn't need to worry about this for another 4-5 years. I'm looking over at all 54lbs of her when they started talking about wearing a bra and wanted to say, "I'm sorry sister but odds are, you won't need one of those for years." I'll probably get her some sort of cami/sports bra thing for next year because I remember Sandra Stevenson and I making a pact that we would wear a bra on the first day of grade six. I don't think Sandra or I need them yet. Hanna's cool though. She knew all this stuff and more before. I highly recommend "The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls" which is published by American Girl. Honestly, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around Hanna being almost 11. It doesn't help that she's built like a 7 year old either. I remember a lot of her baby-hood very vividly because it was such a life changing time. Some days I wish I could transport myself back in time and hold that little baby again but I'm really happy with the person she is turning out to be.
My "mature" girl

15 comments:

ter@waaoms said...

There are plenty of teachers out there who make a bad name for the good teachers such as yourself. I had a roommate in college who was in the Education Program to become an Elementary Teacher but confessed to me that she hates children but wanted to be a teacher so she could have summers off and also because her parents were teachers and so they helped her with some of her course load. (and surprise surprise she now has a child of her own - I heard through the grapevine)

I agree that weather can sure make a difference on how you feel. The weather here has been fantastic for this time of year and in fact with exception of a strip by the fence the snow is completely gone from my yard. Of course that came with returning doggie doo and mud. bleh.

I'm glad to hear they updated the "maturation" classes. Fun times, eh?

Natalie said...

Hanna looks so grown up in that picture!

I just read this on facebook but I like it and thought I'd share it.
"There comes a time in life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

You're doing a great job, don't be discouraged. It also sounds like it's high time to spend the money you saved not buying a new car and take a very sunny, relaxing vacation. What are you doing over spring break?

SuburbiaMom said...

Wow, they still had belted maxi pads in your time??? ;)

Seriously though, I think you're a great mom and teacher. Kudos to you also for attending the maturation day--a lot of parents aren't that involved in this area of their child's life, unfortunately...

Anonymous said...

Well Shea you make your mom proud when you write about constantly thinking of ways to help your students. Teaching is not a 9-5 job that is for sure, although it is very rewarding. The other day I had a tall young man, whom I didn't even recognize, come up to me and say how he remembered fondly the time I walked his class to my home and how much fun it was playing hide and seek in the bushes and eating hot dogs. After he told me who he was I remembered that he was one of the many that I worried about.

Hanna is really growing up fast isn't she? I enjoy her wit and thoughtfulness.
Mom

Lori-Ann said...

I'm the same way when it comes to the sun. I am so much happier when it's out. :)
Hanna is such a beautiful girl Shea. I was a late bloomer myself and looked 7 years old at the age of 12... it was a tough time but sounds like you guys have a great relationship -you're obviously doing a great job!!

Lori-Ann said...

I'm the same way when it comes to the sun. I am so much happier when it's out. :)
Hanna is such a beautiful girl Shea. I was a late bloomer myself and looked 7 years old at the age of 12... it was a tough time but sounds like you guys have a great relationship -you're obviously doing a great job!!

Wilson Family said...

Shea, I'm putting Max in pre-school this fall and I feel really anxious about his education. I would love for you to be his teacher. You're really great at what you do because you actually care about the kids you teach.

They don't have belted pads anymore? What happened to calling it good old Sex ed? Sooooo humiliating.

Hanna does look really grown up in that picture. I like the cardigan.

Shea said...

Nat, we are doing something fun but I don't want to say just in case the girls read this.
Kiersten they didn't have belted pads that I know of. That's how dated the movie we watched was.

Brooke said...

I do have to say you fit right in for sure. I agree on the weather thing and I'm so glad your a part of us now. Maybe someday I will pop that zit!!!!!!

Shea said...

Lindz it's not sex ed. They just talk about periods and puberty. I think sex ed is Jr high.

Shea said...

Thanks for the great quote Nat. I'm learning to do that more as I get older. I don't have time for the haters or drama anymore. I also have learned that not everyone is meant to be a friend. You can still be civil to people but you don't have to include them in your inner circle.

Gwen said...

Ahh, the dreaded maturation presentation.

Son #1 was highly embarrassed about the whole thing (Dad went with him, whew)... and was very tight lipped about the experience.

son #2 came home and told me EVERYTHING that was discussed!

Just goes to show how different each kid is!

I'm with you about the weather! So ready for spring.
Oh, and I had kids puke in my class 2 weeks in a row... and then I came down with a nasty g.i. virus... let's just leave it at that. :(

alicia said...

Happened on your blog and just wanted you to know that I can thoroughly relate to the first part of this post. I myself have been suffering from S.A.D. for some time. But today is a new day and the sun is out and I can totally relate to your words. Thanks for sharing. You can find me at www.weloveiowa.blogspot.com. And if it's ok I'd love to stop back again.

Shea said...

Thanks for stopping by Alicia. I love comments and I'm going to check out your blog.

kimberlee said...

The weather effects me on a serious level. I can relate to that.

I really appreciate my children's teachers. I admit, not all of them. But their good ones. I really, really appreciate. This year both my boys have such great teachers. And I am so grateful for that. And Marina has 7 teachers. I don't know them all. But her band teacher is amazing. So I want to thank-you for being a great teacher who cares.