Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Don't panic until it's time to panic

Last week, Grace has some sort of emotionally fueled puking episode (she called them "baby pukes") and it became apparent that she needed to go home. I had her stay with me in my classroom until my early kids left and then asked the teacher next to me (we'll call her Mary) if she would keep an eye on my later kids while I ran Grace home. As I was driving back from our house, which is only 4 minutes away, I started to cry. I was so grateful for my school, my coworkers and that I had a job that would allow me to run my own sick child home. I guess, at that moment, driving back to school, I fully realized how much I love working at my school, with my class and how much I'm growing to love the people I work with. Things couldn't have worked out more perfectly and while this year has been very hard in many ways, I've also learned a lot about what I'm capable of doing. Sounds cheesy, but I've grown as a person. So it was very upsetting yesterday to find out that the legislature might be increasing class sizes which would mean less teachers would be needed. I'm not even going to get into how crazy I think it is that they would expect us to teach more than 30 six year olds, because it is so, so crazy. I'm just thinking about my job and since I was the only new hire last year, I'm on the bottom of the totem pole. I'm trying Karen's mantra of "don't panic until it's time to panic" but it's very hard to do when you are facing the possibility of losing a job at a school you love. I'd like to think that the stars will align again for me and I will be here next year. Do you think it's possible to be so lucky to have that happen twice? We'll see. If you can, please send good thoughts, or prayers or whatever my way.

9 comments:

ter@waaoms said...

I hope everything works out for you. It makes all the difference in the world if you love your job, so I hope you get to keep the job that you love. (and I'm glad that you love it! You were apprehensive about going back to work but it turned out to be a good thing for you - now lets hope the same for me! :) )

SuburbiaMom said...

It's too bad they can't do a parent and student vote for things like these....heaven knows there's probably a crab of a teacher at your school, who shouldn't be teaching...

Gwen said...

I'm so glad you are having a great year and love what you do! Some of my very best friends are fellow teachers, so I totally understand how you are feeling right now.

I know it's stressful not knowing what will happen next year, but hang in there-- things have a way of working out! :)

Alisha said...

You WILL be here next year. I won't let you go...we need you on our team:)

Shea said...

Thanks Alisha. I hope in the coming years I won't be such a burden. ;)If it weren't for you, I'd probably be medicated.

Alisha said...

You're not a burden:) I love having you here...and I'm glad I have kept you off medication:)

Lori-Ann said...

Oh Shea that is hard not to worry about but hang in there. There really might not be anything to worry about. I'm definitely sending positive vibes your way.

Tisa said...

All you have to do is believe in yourself and be positive. I know, easier said then done.

Shea said...

I'm feeling much better today. My principal talked to me and he was very encouraging/reassuring. He told me not to worry or lose sleep.