Tuesday, July 06, 2010

You have what made America great: no understanding of the limits of your power and a complete lack of concern for what anyone thinks of you.

Celebrate the independence of your nation by blowing up a small part of it.

We celebrated the 4th just the way the founding fathers would have liked us to, by blowing things up. Ryan and I both said we felt the spirit of the founding fathers when we were lighting our fireworks. There was an article in the newspaper that was brought up a couple of times at church this weekend. It had a full page with pictures of three presidents and Benjamin Franklin. Both people who referenced this in their talks/lessons said they were, "The four presidents." This got Ryan and I talking about how many Americans think Benjamin Franklin was a president. Even I, the ignorant Canadian, knows Ben Franklin was not a president but instead the founder of a very nice chain of crafting stores.

We also celebrated Canada Day with a find patriotic display of flags. Ryan thought I went a little nuts and was worried someone might take offense/steal our flags but I was vindicated when someone mentioned my patriotic display in their church talk on Sunday. "See", they said, "even Canadians can be patriotic." We also celebrated with smoothies because nothing says Canada like smoothies. I realized that this year will be the 18th year I've lived in the states. I came here when I was 18 and except for a couple of summers at home, I've lived her since. So I've almost lived in the USA as long as I lived in Canada but still consider myself a Canadian. Maybe one of these years I'll get it together and become a citizen.

New shoes! New Shoes!

I got new shoes this weekend. I read an article when I was at the doctor's office that informed me you should get new shoes every 300 miles. That seems a bit extreme to me but I realized I had over 600 on mine. My knees have been hurting lately and I just chalked it up to old age but now I'm going to blame my shoes. I went with Mizunos again because, why fix it when it ain't broke? Ryan was sad that I couldn't find any I like on sale this time. I did get them 10% off because they were last years model. So technically I still have not paid full price. I told him he should be glad I have a hobby that only needs a pair of shoes each year. My hobby could be shooting Faberge Eggs or something.
I think they kind of look like Spiderman shoes.

Concrete!

This is the last of our purchasing for a while but I had to show off new slab of concrete. Isn't it magnificent? I like to think of it as a permanent weed killer.

I wish I was as rich as Stephenie Meyer

I've decided that I rate movies by the number of times I roll my eyes while watching. Robin Hood: Men in Tights, which I consider to be the worst movie I've ever seen, gets about 50 eye rolls. Twilight gets about 30. New Moon, which I unfortunately saw at midnight, gets about 40. I went to Eclipse tonight with the neighbors and I have to say there were only a handful of eye rolls. Either I'm getting more brain addled with each movie, or this one was actually decent. I'm not a big Twilight fan but I admit I read all the books. Not great writing but I can see how teenage girls and their moms got all worked up about the teenage lust. My favorite part of the movie was the Harry Potter preview I got to see. I'm super excited for the last two movies of the series.

6 comments:

SuburbiaMom said...

Nice shoes and concrete slab! Happy late Canada Day!

Wilson Family said...

You're totally right about shooting Faberge eggs, it does get mega expensive and Dustin is always on my back about it. I dig that concrete slab. Rarely have I seen such a beautiful piece of hard stuff.

Anonymous said...

Brain addled = funny
becky

Lori-Ann said...

Love the spiderman shoes! Nice slap of concrete too! If it weren't for the fact that I'd worry about my kids falling off the playset and getting a concussion I'd love a big concrete slab in my backyard to replace all the grass/weeds.
Still haven't watched any of the Twilight movies myself...saving them for a rainy day movie marathon.
We've been in the US for the last 2 Canada Days...not very patriotic of us at all.

kimberlee said...

As patriotic as I felt this year, I also kept thinking that we were celebrating a nation grown on war and violence. Ugh. O.k. That isn't very patriotic of me. LOL. So I enjoyed your comments about fireworks and our founding fathers.

Kristin said...

I LOVE reading your blog. You are always witty and entertaining. And have a great balance of honesty and politeness. Your peprsonality really comes through and I dig it.