Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Not So Fascinating Girl


A)"When does Beverly Hills 90201 start?"
B)"Does Jed in Book of Mormon 100 think I'm fascinating?"
C)"Why can't everything be made out of stonewashed denim?"
D)"Should we stay up until 3 or 4 am making prank phone calls to the boys dorms tonight?"


My sophomore year at BYU I lived on condo row in the infamous Wellington #9. That's me above in the very stylish black head band sporting the "freshman 15" and super dorky matching outfit. WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!I had originally signed on to room with 3 other good friends but two of them bailed (you know who you are) in the summer and so we ended up living with two strangers. Strange being the key word with these two. One was a "cowgirl" named Mindy from "the south" who did acrobatics on horses backs. While there are many a Mindy story to tell I am going to focus on her connection to a book called "The Fascinating Girl" by Helen Andelin. My friend Noelle had actually found this book the year before at the second hand book store... The Fascinating Girl
and we had many a late night reading this horrible horrible book. Pretty much it was the antithesis of us which made it a lot of fun to read. Basically if you want to win and keep a man by acting like a brainless maid servant, it's the book for you. Apparently this was a big hit with young Mormon women in the 60's and 70's. So back to Mindy. We didn't like Mindy at all and we, being 19 and too cool for school, weren't afraid of showing it. One day we were rummaging through her dresser and happened to find this book tucked away inside. We opened it up and found it had been lovingly highlighted throughout. This explained a lot to us about Mindy. We came up with a plan to ask her about the book later and long story short, found out that her grandmother was none other than Helen Andelin! Poor, sweet Mindy never had a chance. Mindy moved out in December and I think later that year we received her wedding invitation. She was a fascinating girl after all. The reason I brought this up is because last night in a state of insomnia I thought about naming my blog "The Fascinating Girl" or "The not so Fascinating Girl". What do you think?

4 comments:

Lori-Ann said...

Shea- I love it!! Great story too. I wonder where Mindy is today? BTW I love the picture. LOL!! I remember those days so well.

Nicole said...

Shea- I like "The Not So Fascinating Girl" Love that picture!!! LOL!

Carol said...

great story! I remember those fashions too. BTW I was a huge 90210 fan LOL!

me said...

Lovin the 'tudes in that picture...so vogue. Hehe I'm interested to read that article above and learn more about how to be a fascinating girl! ;)