Monday, November 12, 2007

She was musing on the song she heard

You know what is an amazing song? "Pictures of You" by The Cure. I can't be the only one who thinks this song is one of the best, right? Ryan thinks Disintegration is crap but he couldn't be more wrong. Maybe it's because it came out in May 1989, the summer before I started high school which of course is an important time in a young girl's life. I think I was dating Shiloh Tolman and we were both quite fanatic about The Cure. I think I even gave Shiloh "Disintegration" for Christmas that year. Man, I can remember the most inane details. I took a lifeguarding class at the University of Lethbridge that winter and they would play music in the diving pool where we had to do some of our training. One time I dove in there and "Pictures of You" was playing in the water. It made me happy. BTW I failed that class because they said I wasn't big enough to rescue large people. "Lovesong" is also another great one on this album and just a great simplistic lovesong. Back to "Pictures of You" (which is a another song that makes me cry), it also has great lyrics:
Remembering you standing quiet in the rain as
I ran to your heart to be near and we kissed as
the sky fell in holding you close how I always
held close in your fear
Remembering you running soft through the night you were bigger
and brighter than the snow
and screamed at the make-believe screamed at the
sky and you finally found all your courage to let it all go

Good stuff. The song is over and now I've moved on to Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" which is another good song. I'm digging my iPod shuffle mode right now. What are some songs you've forgot you loved?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you're not crazy. I got that album the year before I went down to Provo. Whenever I think about the portion of the summer before I left I think of the songs on that album playing in the Honda that actually had a tape player and speakers.

When I lived with those guys in Leth. we spent a cold night out on the lawn listening to that album the night before we moved out. It is great album.

Monti

Anonymous said...

I love this album too. And I especially loved when HP used Pictures of You in its TV commercials trying to get people to buy digital cameras and printers.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I would probably recognize them if I heard them (the ones that you were posting about.) I know the group. During that time I was into Country and Hip-Hop....odd mix eh? BUT, my older sister Melissa always listened to The Cure and she gratuated in 91. Boy, can you imagine us being friends in HS? I think we would have been in totally different groups. You obviously the popular skater group, Dock Martins (sp?)flannel shirts and me with my poped up colar shirts with sleves rolled up, pegged pants and big hair. You in the band and me in the choir. That right there is two major different groups. And then you would have been the one hanging out against the wall during lunch with your cool group making fun of us cheerleaders with short skirts and bare legs in mid winter. On a brighter note, look at us now...BFF's, hahaha LOL!

Shea said...

Haha! You're right! I would have made fun of you. It's a good thing we met up later when I wasn't so "cool" and you weren't wearing a cheerleader skirt. Actually I was friendly with my cheerleader classmates (there were only 38 of us) but we didn't hang out much. So maybe there would have been hope for us.

Anonymous said...

"What are some songs you've forgot you loved?"

Not too long ago, I dusted off some of my old albums and listened to U2's "MLK" from The Unforgettable Fire. My cousin Tisha and I would listen to that in her dark room before bed when we would have sleep overs. We both agreed that if one of us died, the other of us would play that song at the funeral.

LOL

Anonymous said...

I guess Kiss me, Kiss Me, Kiss me was the apex of my Cure days - things were starting to wane for me a bit by Disintigration. I spent many an hour driving tractor in the summer of '87 singing my angst away - but then you had the awesome 'Just Like Heaven' that really wasn't so angsty. Just an awesome song on an awesome album.
Becky

Anonymous said...

I heard a remake of This Womans Work by Kate Bush. I hadn't heard it in so long. Such a powerful song and I still love it.