Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Things I'm glad I bought

I spent the night with Ryan in West Valley City last night. Yes, I know you're jealous because West Valley is the first place people want to go on a romantic getaway. I guess I'm just lucky that way. The truth is, Ryan had training and they got him a hotel room so I decided to join him. Today I decided since I was in the big city, I was going to take advantage of it's shopping. I looked up addresses of the stores I wanted to go to and entered them into my GPS because I don't know how to get around Salt Lake County very well. I from Utah County so me not so smart. Let me just say, if you don't have a GPS you should get one. Ryan bought ours from Cabela's with the gift card he won at the UHPA banquet and we've used it a lot since. I was able to go every place I wanted today with relative ease. I got Ryan this killer Ben Sherman sweater at The Rack which goes nicely with his scooter. As I was navigating Salt Lake, I was listening to my iPod and it got me thinking about things I've bought which I'm really happy with. So I thought I'd make a list.

*GPS-We use it on vacation or in the city. We have the Tom Tom because it came with Canada.

*iPod-I sold things on Ebay a few years ago to buy Ryan the 20G and it's been the best purchase ever. Now I have a Nano and so do the girls.

*iMac-Ryan's family has been an Apple family since the 80's and our new iMac is our 4th. Our first was a Mac Plus that Ryan's parents gave us to use when we were at university. I think I married mainly Ryan because he had a car and a computer. Oh yeah, I loved him and all.

Our first baby.


*DVR-Oh sweet DVR, how I love thee. When Ryan was a road trooper and working shift work, he would ask me to record his favourite shows. I would do this by recording them onto a VHS tape just like cavemen did. I can't tell you how many times this didn't work or I'd forget and Ryan would be sad/mad. Plus, it sucks to watch anything recorded off the tv onto VHS. Now Ryan can only blame the DVR. My favourite thing about it is that I can watch a show in record time. I can probably watch two hours of "The Biggest Loser" in 22 minutes. Attention. Span. Getting. Smaller.

These are mainly electronic things I'm glad we've bought but I'm fond of other purchases. I was going to write about how I love cardigan sweaters and own almost an entire draw full of them but what can I really say other than, "I love me a nice cardigan sweater".

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A while ago I was having a love affair with technology - right now I am sitting on the couch on the internet on the laptop, and skipping commercials on the DVR to watch my favorite shows. Wireless internet and DVR's are awesome.
Becky

Shea said...

That was the other thing I was going to talk about, DVR. Time to edit. When I get a real jobby job I'm getting me a laptop.

Marcy said...

I like posts like this. I sure love my ipod too, and if I watched tv, DVR is definitely the way to go (used to have one back there in Santaquin-y).

Anonymous said...

You know me - I'm cheap. I don't spend money on extras. I don't get manicures, I only get my hair done as the grey threatens to take over, and my kids never, ever wear designer clothes. But if I had to live without my DVR, I think I might die. Seriously, that's how much I love that thing. I had to have one replaced and I almost cried because I couldn't watch all the shows I'd already recorded. It was a sad, sad day in our house. Next week we are upgrading to FIOS and will be investing in the multi-room DVR. I can't even imagine the bliss! I can command my kids to do anything without complaint because they don't have to wait until a commercial AND I can teach them to fast forward THROUGH the commercials so I don't have to hear "Mommy, I want that!" every 5 minutes. It's like a dream come true!!! I am a little concerned about my kids growing up with this carefree lifestyle though. It's bad enough they'll never know a world without Google!

The Roelofs said...

Hey Shea, I love our DVR. I find however, (and I do think I am a little crazy), whenever I hear something on the radio or something that I have missed. I think just rewind it and alas I cannot because it is only on my DVR. Anyway, Apple computers are also our computers of the family and we enjoy those also. And the ipods. Good Favorite things!

Cheryl said...

I don't know how I ever lived without a DVR either. I resisted it for a long time too!

Lori-Ann said...

Shea great list! I have just recently inherited Iain's Ipod Nano and just this morning I learned how to program my own list of songs on it...I'm so excited to workout tomorrow with it.
My DVR - is called a PVR - wonder why? Either way I could not live without it for sure.

Anonymous said...

I love my Mac lappy, my iPod (in the car), and my DVR. I would also recommend HDTV to anyone interested. It would be hard to live without.

Monti

Anonymous said...

Two things you can never go back on - high speed internet and HDTV.
Becky

Luisa said...

GPS-nope
Mac-nope
DVR-nope
Ipod-YES!(I did one of the whole--open a bank account and get a free Ipod-deals)
Apparently, I am still living in the stone age.