Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'll Be Your Guest Blogger This Evening

Though normally Shea is completely uninterested in my job (Shea: "not true"), with my recent Presidential Protection Detail assignment I've suddenly risen to "guest blogger" status. I figured I'd better strike while the iron's hot and launch my blogging career.

Back in the summer of 2008 Utah Department of Public Safety received an invitation to send a group of State Troopers to participate in the 2009 Inauguration festivities. A request was sent out to see how many officers might be interested and apparently, to DPS Administration's surprise, they received a large response. I've never been told how the selection was made, but somehow the list of applicants was narrowed down to 40 and for some reason I made the cut.

Over the months of November and December there was a series of frantic and confusing meetings and finally on the morning of January 18th at 1:45 am I dragged my giant suitcase out the door and headed for for Washington DC.

We had to arrive at the Salt Lake airport several hours prior to our flight because we were flying armed and the TSA needed us to write our names and various combinations of numbers many times on many forms to assure that we did not intend to hijack any planes. After flying on a "plane" that bore a striking resemblance to an irrigation pipe containing too many old car seats, I arrived at Reagan International Airport in Washington DC.

Our group was met at the airport by a Lieutenant from DC Metro Police who would act as our liaison. This guy was cool! He was a cop but he may as well have been in the mafia. He had the hook-up for everything in that city and I wish we would have had the time to take advantage of his connections. (He actually tried to get us inside the White House on the day of the inauguration.) We also had our own bus and bus driver, who was himself a bit of a wild man. He tore through the crowded streets of DC like he was driving an indestructible Mini Cooper. I saw many frightened DC motorists and pedestrians and passengers.

On Monday the 19th our group went into the city to a briefing at American University. We were addressed by the Mayor of Washington DC, The Chief of Police, and the Special Agent in Charge of the Secret Service, before being sworn in as Special Deputy US Marshals. There were over 4,000 police officers from all over the country there and there was a great feeling of brotherhood and pride.

After we left the briefing our driver and liaison broke many laws (both of man and of time and space) to get us downtown to the Law Enforcement Memorial then back to our hotel in Virginia. (Think car chase in "Bullit" only with a bus instead of a Mustang) We had to get back to our hotel early because we had to be up and going a 2:00 am the next morning.

In the middle of the night on the 20th I stumbled out of bed, struggled into my uniform, and climbed aboard the magic bus. We rushed through traffic and security into the city only to sit on the bus for more than an hour while the logistics of getting us on post were sorted out. Finally around 5:00 am we marched through the streets of Washington to 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, where we would stand for the next 12 to 16 hours.

We were about a half mile from the National Mall and could hear the roar of the crowd even without the assistance to the loudspeakers that broadcast the inauguration ceremonies. We were also one block away from the White House, which gave our liaison the opportunity to put his skills into action. He arranged for our group to be escorted through the Secret Service security and barricades to have our picture taken behind the White House. From what I understand, on the day of the inauguration, this has never been allowed before. Once we finished our photo shoot we went back to our post where we stood facing the crowd making sure no one did anything crazy until about 7:00 pm that evening.

Thankfully, no one did do anything crazy, I was able to see President Obama's car and Vice-President Biden as they passed, I saw a lot of incredible historic landmarks, and was proud to be a part of what I believe was a very important moment in our nation's history. And, despite thinking I was dying of hypothermia a couple times, I had a really great time and would do it again in a second.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Ryan, both on the blogging and Marshalling. I enjoyed your post.
Thanks
Becky

Monti said...

Excellent post Ryan. I think it was really cool that you got to be there (and as a "secret Democrat" !). I made sure to tell the kids in my class numerous times thet you were going to be there.

The Roelofs said...

It is funny Shea, I know Ryan hardly knows me but I still thought it was neat that I knew someone there and especially so close to the president. Way to go Ryan. You are a great blogger also. Shea, I love your little running Canadian girl on the side that is so cute. Take Care!

Steve Youngblood said...

As a fellow secret Democrat, I felt a sense of brotherhood knowing you were there on the big day. As your brother, I also felt a sense of brotherhood, but less idealogical and more like young gangstas who learn a valuable life lesson too late.

Unknown said...

That must be your "bass face" you've got on in the close up photo - the face you make when you're really focused and concentrating (the kind of face I make when I'm playing bass guitar). In this case looking for crazy people. It's either that or you really need to go to the bathroom.

Susan said...

I enjoyed your post Ryan. How exciting to be a part of the inaugeration! My family members who live back there stayed home and watched it on TV -- too cold and too many people.

Shea said...

Todd that is his cold face. He told me his hands were blurry in the photo because he was rubbing them together.

SuburbiaMom said...

I thought it was the tough guy face, "Don't mess with the Pres."

What a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures to go with your amazing adventure. Calee

Natalie said...

Sounds like you had a great time, Ryan, except for waking up at 2:00am and standing in the cold for 12-16 hours - the rest sounds fantastic!! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Anonymous said...

Thank you to everyone for accepting me into the world of Blogdom and a special thanks to my brother for realizing that every life experience can and should be reduced to the level of a poorly conceived after school special.
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Ryan - very cool post! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I was really surprised at the picture of you all in front of the White House. We were there in August - got to go in the WH! - and still couldn't get to that area to take a good picture. Next time I'll need the contact info of your mafia friend! Also very cool that you were sworn in as a US Marshall!!!

~ Dori (Junie) and mom to Hanna's pen pal :)

Wonder Grahams said...

That's so cool Ryan!. What an awesome experience. I'm so happy for you, I'll even hold back on my comments regarding the new President. I hope to visit Washington with the family some day. So much to do and see. See you and Shea soon when I visit in April.
Sarah Graham