I joined Gold's gym this fall for two reasons. 1) I was on the edge a nervous breakdown and my therapist and I thought exercise would help. 2) I needed to drop a few pounds since I had been pregnant for 5 months. Not the happiest reasons to join a gym but so far it's been a good thing. I go with my friend Karen who has had five children and actually weighs less than she did when she was first married. She looks fabulous and eats whatever she wants which she admits is mostly crap. Did I mention I hate her? Oh Kar-kar I'm just kidding. You know I love you. Anyway we go to the gym and we're good work out partners. I am motivated to get there and Karen is motivated to keep going when I want to give up and go eat cinnamon and sugar pretzels at Sam's Club. I actually like the feeling I get from working out and it helps keep me off antidepressants. I'm also pretty vain, sadly, and like the idea of being thin. Recently I've been taking more classes at the gym because, like I mentioned before, I have a motivation problem and need someone to yell slogans at me to keep me going. What I don't need is any interaction with anyone else in the class. I go there to work out, not to make friends. I don't want or need to high five the other people in the class and I sure as hell don't want to partner up with a complete stranger. For this reason I have been liking the cycle class I take. The room is dark so no one can see me making those ugly workout faces and interacting with others is non-existent. The teacher yells great slogans at us and the music is loud with a strong beat. I sweat like I have never sweated before and most days I feel like I'm on the verge of throwing up partway through the class. I like it because I feel like I've accomplished something and pushed myself. Supposedly in this class you could burn up to 900 calories. Now on to my observation about aerobics teachers at gyms. I've yet to have one who looks super in shape or is "skinny". Doesn't it seem odd that someone who works out for a living would not be in awesome shape? I'm fascinated by this and often spend part of the class wondering what this person eats to undo all that exercise. Then I start to worry that this is all a big scam and I'm never going to be in the shape I hope for. I keep on keeping on though and hopefully I will see the results I would like to see someday. I also hope I'm setting a good example for my girls and they will see that being active is a good thing. Still I wish that I had the metabolism I did when I was 17 and could eat a box of dill pickle chips each night as a snack while never breaking 100lbs. Sigh.
I'm adding this picture of me on the day of my highschool graduation in 1992. I think pictures are fun to look at and this is me not breaking 100lbs while my exercise consisted of practicing for marching band and living on a diet of dill pickle chips and pop. That's my brother BTW. No my brother was not my date! I'm sure the parents made us take this photo. This is a rare photo because I'm actually smiling in it. Being a upper-middle class teenager is so hard.
11 comments:
"0 Comments"????? Hard to believe. I do good to to check my emails and return phone calls, so I'm impressed that you can do a blog and pictures of your family for everyone. It's great. I love what you wrote about the gym. I wonder also why for the last 2 years, no one has changed in appearance. Several of the instructors and personal trainers are considered over weight. What's up with that. So I'v been doing research into other ways of thinking about working out, diet, and general well being. I'm reading a book written by a microbiologist who has done studies on the obscene amount of acidic food we eat and the relation to that causing people to be fat and have a variety of other health issues. It's revolutionary, but makes perfect sense. I'm going to try it out. Hope all is well with you. Love Sarah
I know if I ate better my results would be better. Why is it easy for my to exercise but so hard to eat healthy. It's always something. Good to hear from you.
Shea, I give you a lot of credit for going to the gym in the first place!! I haven't seen the inside of a gym in 3 years...and it shows :( Maybe once my little one starts preschool and the other 2 will be in fullday school, I will have time to go to the gym! Love that picture of you & your brother!! You are so tiny!
Go Shea! I really enjoy my time at the gym too although I do like the social aspect. That is what motivates me to go.
The cycling classes are killer!
WTG Shea! I am like Nicole and unfortunately haven't seen the inside of a gym since B was in my belly.*sigh* Maybe when they are older.
Shea, I admire how much/often you work out. I have to admit that I haven't been to a gym since before I had kids. :(
I thought it was just my imagination, but I have also noticed how out of shape fitness instructors are.
That is just plain depressing.
Yep. That's what happens when you're all messed up.
The whole social thing and lack of machines at the gym is why we went ahead and bought our treadmill and eliptical and put it in our basement. I like knowing that I have literally NO excuse not to work out b/c it's IN MY BASEMENT!! lol Good luck to you and maybe you can BE the instructor someday??
Time for a new post Shea. You were spoiling us with your daily verse and then nothing for four days. Come on. Spill those thoughts. Share that soul.
-Kristin
i'm working on it. I don't just sit at the computer all day thinking of ways to please sweet Kristin.
I love the pic in this post.
It's one of those,"C'Mon Monti! Put your arm around your sister!" moments...
note: No fingers touching Shea on the right hand and left hand curled into a sign of obvious discomfort.
Strangely enough the fashion seems to hold up pretty well (unlike 90% of the pictures I've seen from the same period). Good work there, fashion-forward dressers!
-Rick
Post a Comment