Monday, December 11, 2006

The Griswald Family Photo



Once again it's that time of year where we get ambitious and decide to do a family photo to send out with our Christmas cards. I voted to only have the girls in it because who really wants to see how old and fat Ryan and I are getting? Ryan said he thinks people really do want to see that so he vetoed my decision and we all ended up in the photo. I found the girl's shirts at Old Navy on the sale rack for $5. I thought they were so cute and would be perfect to wear in the Christmas photo. As they were putting them on Ryan saw them for the first time and said in a horrified voice "what are those?!" As I looked at them through his eyes I realized they looked a little 1980's nouveau pioneer but it was too late now and I wasn't about to turn back. In 20 years they will be able to look at this photo and laugh about how big an idiot their mom was when it came to fashion.

The actual photo taking is always an ordeal in itself. The Toly in me comes out and I want the perfect photo at all costs. I turn into some sort of photo taking Nazi who scares even myself. If anyone even attempts to droop their eyelids so they look stoned or heaven forbid, not smile the perfect smile, I will go beserk. Today was no different from any other picture taking day and it ended up with Grace crying and me accusing her of ruining Christmas or making baby Jesus cry. I can't remember which. We all went to our separate corners to regroup and ended up coming back to take one pretty decent photo. Ryan put it into Photoshop to show me and the first thing I said was "get rid of that double chin!" So he did some Photoshopping magic and got rid of my double chin, his black tooth, Hanna's missing tooth and what he said was our "uneven skin tone". I was happy with the result but we could not figure out how to print the airbrushed one out to send with our Christmas cards. So everyone who gets a card will see all our imperfections. I also could not get the photoshopped picture to show on the blog. I put some of the failed picture attempts on Flikr. I decided that this year we would not send out a letter with our card. The thought of writing down the events of this year was not something I wanted to do. There have been many good things but the one horrible, sad thing that did happen overshadows most of them so I've decided to skip the letter. I hope that next year brings us happier times and peace. I wish the same for all our family and friends out there.

REJECTED!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Nice! I like the big grins, although I like "Sad Grace" too. Wait until you see our Christmas picture. We were on campus early Sunday morning. It was windy and cold. Sophie was crying. Landon was looking doofy in each shot. William was sporting his mean face in half of them. But we just picked one that would do, because we weren't about to go through that again - at least not until next year. Oh the joys of family life and semi-painful Christmas traditions.

Shea said...

I still want to see the picture of Vince in tights!

me said...

The joys of family pictures...they really do test your mental strength most times. I was happy with ours and have to say I've never considered PhotoShop...lipo and a boob job, yes, but PS, no. LOL I think it's a lovely photo! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful family photo!!

mom said...

I loved the poem. It really states what you must be going throug and feeling at this time. I think of you all the time and hope you are ok. The girls look like they are really trying to please but have smiled one too many times. mom