Friday, November 14, 2008

Grow up Shea, Jordache jeans are so 87'

I had to go to Orem today to for my laser hair removal treatment. That's another post but I just have to say, "It's awesome!" Gap is having their "Friends and Family" promotion and because I'm a friend (that means I have a Gap Visa) I get a 30% off everything coupon. I went into GapKids to get a few little Christmas presents for the girls and was amazed by what I saw. I look around and I see all these young women with little children piling loads and loads of clothes into their $500 strollers. I look more closely and they all seem to be wearing $200+ Rock and Republic or Seven for All Mankind jeans. They all have perfect hair, perfect nails, perfect make up and perfect bodies. Where do these women come from or more importantly, where do they get all this disposable income? When I was having children in my mid-twenties, I was wearing $10 sale jeans from Gap and cutting my hair at the local beauty school. That's what all my friends were doing also. I wasn't aware of anyone my age who had expensive strollers and jeans but I did live in the Provo ghetto. I didn't even have a pedicure or manicure until I was in my 30's! Only recently, since getting a job, have I ventured into the full-price section of stores and I sure as hell won't even pay over $200 for a pair of jeans unless my sugar daddy buys them for me. I remember when our kids were babies I'd see a cute outfit at BabyGap and watch for it to go on sale. Okay I still do that but I don't always have to. I'm really starting to hate the blatant materialism that Utah culture seems to foster. Does this happen in other parts of the country? Am I biased? Jealous? Would I do that same thing if Ryan had loads of money for me to spend on useless crap?

14 comments:

Chelle said...

I believe it's how we were raised. I will not and can not forget all the roomies I had going thru school that were there on a "free ride"! Daddy and mommy were paying for school. They had there brand new vehicles, clothes from Abercrombie, cell phones and were constantly shopping with a credit card and not to mention NO JOB with that. I believe it's these people that you saw at the Gap. Gosh I look back at those days and remember my 1984 P.O.S. Honda that broke down every 6 months, living on ramen, calling home COLLECT, and always perusing the sale racks, even at Walmart! Things are as bad as that now but I still find myself always looking for a deal and NEVER buying clothes at full price. Are we cheap?? No, we are smart! Those other people...stupid and rich or just plain stupid!

Chelle said...

correction: things are NOT that bad

Shea said...

I didn't even have a car! I had to take the bus to the mall and put my clothes on layaway!LOL! My roommate and I would actually put things on layaway at the Gap. When Ryan and I were first married and in school at Laramie I remember begging him one night to take me to McDonald's and he wouldn't/couldn't do it. Maybe there are just more kids here who were born rich and just keep living that way.

Our little family said...

I totally understand what you're saying. I think it's the Utah culture, but I kind of think I might be biased. All I can say is that growing up in Maine was WAY different than it is here. Yes, we have more than my parents did when they were my age, but they also had five kids, not three, and my dad was in med school. Even though he makes a decent salary and they only have two kids left at home, they don't live like I see a lot of people here living. It's a totally different life here. Even the "rich" kids at my high school didn't wear the clothes you see kids here wearing, or drives fany cars. Sorry for the novel, but you hit a nerve for me. :) It's one of the reasons I want to move out of Utah so badly.

Shea said...

It's hard not to get sucked into it though. I find myself wanting what they have. When my SIL comes to visit from Alberta, she really notices it. When I go home in the summers I love getting away from all the buying and comparing. None of my friends in high school had new cars. Most of us drove our parent's cars and if someone did have a car it was always a beater.

Chelle said...

I think that's why I laugh so hard at www.seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com. She hits it head on with the utah mentality. I truly believe that these people are in some serious debt but it's okay because it's more important to keep up with everyone else. I'm sorry, but I'd rather dress in rags than be in that much debt. I've moved away from Utah and have come to terms with shopping at Goodwill from time to time. Most people I know do the same but you will still find those mo-mommys that are stick thin, bleach-blonde and sport the finest clothes and accessories, it's crazy!!

Anonymous said...

Debt is bad.especially debt for fancy clothes.I need to make some changes in my spending.maybe when I want to buy something I'll call you instead Chelle.- Shea

Susan said...

It's not just Utah. You see it here in my part of California. Annalise's school covers a more expensive part of town and you should see how some of the moms are dressed when they pick up their kids from school. There are very nice cars and you should see all the toys and gadgets these kids have. I didn't grow up that way. My parents were (and are) really cheap and there are five kids in my family to share the wealth. :)

Susan said...

Just a quick add - I notice the difference more at Halloween. Some of the costumes the kids wear are over-the-top nice. My daughters' costumes are nice but I have seen gorgeous costumes on kids and you know they were expensive.

Anonymous said...

There is definitely a weird consumption culture in Utah that may be linked to their high bankruptcy rate. When I went to Irael that was my first impression of the other students - richy rich kids, but when I got to know a lot of them it was mostly illusory. There was one girl I went shopping with and in one day she spent more than I had for spending the entire 6 months. I sold some of my clothes to get Monti's $65 wedding ring. I had a fancy looking room-mate there who wasn't affluent - she gave bad haircuts to earn spending money.
I feel weird in Utah - so much ostentatiousness is offputting.
Becky

Anonymous said...

It is not just Utah. I live in a small town in Washington that definately isn't full of rich people, but all the high school girls have Coach purses, wear the nicest clothes, all have the newest cell phones and drive decent, if not nice cars. I wonder what my kids will expect by the time they are that age? (Because they sure as heck aren't getting that much!!) I wasn't deprived as a child, but I just don't see how this is helping our kids. (or how the parents are pulling it off) They will be used to a certain lifestyle that might not always be realistic. My husband and I always think these people must be up to their eyeballs in credit card debt. Really, how else are they paying for it????

Luisa said...

Well, you know this is my forte! JK I definitely think that not knowing is so much better. I have no idea what name brands are and how much they cost. So I wouldn't know it if I saw it. It's nice because then I don't have to worry about it b/c if I start thinking about it, it TOTALLY bugs me. When it comes down to it, expensive things aren't a priority to me. I like to look cute but it doesn't have to cost that much. I shop at Saver's and DI religiously. I hate spending money and am so anti-debt. I cringe if I spend more than $10 on an item of clothing. No joke. Anyway, I have to not let it bug me but sometimes I do wonder how people do it. All their kids clothes are brand-new "outfits" meaning matching shoes, shirt, skirt, hair bow, and accessories all from the trendiest boutiques and they always looked so great and have huge houses and nice cars. I do wonder sometimes but then, I shrug it off b/c even if I did have money (not that I'm poor) I still wouldn't want to spend it on all that. I'd rather travel.

Shea said...

Luisa I think you're right, it is better not knowing. Once you know, you want it more. I have to say though, I've always envied you because you have the perfect body for Saver's shopping. Tall and skinny basically looks good in anything. When you look good in anything, I don't think you have to spend as much. Does that make sense? I have to worry about finding pants that fit and then I almost always have to have them hemmed. I used to do it myself but I now have the luxury of taking them to a tailor or buying them at a store that offers free hemming.

Cheryl said...

I just heard a quote on the radio this week that went something like this: "Debt is borrowing from the future to pay for the present." I know there are plenty of people who can afford to spend without asking how much it costs However most people can't live like that but think they should be able to. I've long believed this country has an over-inflated sense of entitlement to "the good life", and our advertising in all media encourages it. We're bombarded with it constantly. Heck, I called my bank to enquire about a charge received, and the woman was trying to give me a credit card and a home equity loan (despite the fact that she was told I didn't have a job and my husband was laid off. WTH?) So it's not a Utah thing. It's rampant all over the country.