Monday, November 10, 2008

I've got a problem

I know, I know, I have many problems but this is the one I want to focus on tonight. Ryan left on Sunday for a week, it's been one day and I'm already hating the single parent gig. All right, I'll be honest because Ryan being gone really has nothing to do with my problem. My problem is, I make my kids enter the PTA Reflections contest because I want them to look good. There, I said it! Usually I put Ryan in charge of this because he is the artistic one but he conveniently left for Mesquite (whoohoo) without doing anything. The projects are due Friday and so tonight I told the girls that we would start working on them. The theme this year is "Wow" which in my opinion is a freakin hard theme. How do you write a story, draw a picture, take a photo etc with "Wow" as a theme? We brainstormed and made a web but we are having a hard time with the Literature section. Grace wanted to write about Ryan's job and while Grace is very intelligent she is also proportionally lazy. This is something that frustrates me to no end and I know it's because she is just like me. She kept coming to me with something like this, "My dad is a sergeant. He works in Salt Lake. He comes home at 5 pm. He has a cool office. He has a cool car. I like to ride in it. What's cool about my dad is he's a sergeant and that's awesome!" Now, a good mom would say, "That's great Grace! You are so right, Dad's office is cool with it's chairs and desk and fluorescent lights." Instead I say, "Really Grace? That's the best you can do? That's your best work? I don't get what is "wow" about this story?" Then she starts to cry. You'd think I'd be a little more sensitive with the child who was crying at school today because, "She misses Daddy. He won't be able to kiss me goodnight." I could blame it on after-vacation-depression or being sick or being a single parent or having to clean the house because a realtor wanted to look at it, but honestly there is no excuse. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we came up with another idea for a story and all was well. Luckily Grace is quick to forgive. After they went to bed I thought about the night and confessed to myself that I want them to do this because I like the feeling I get when they win or place in the contest. I know that they feel good about it also but I wonder if my feelings outweigh theirs? I think I'm going to have to relax a bit if I want to make it through their school careers without us hating each other. Am I the only parent who makes their children do things because it is ultimately what they want? Please tell me I'm not.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what parenthood is all about! Moulding these little creatures. I know there are times when I want my kids to perform or shine or experience something or appreciate something. I don't think it is wrong to have your kids work hard to do their best.
Becky

Marcy said...

I'm completely the opposite. I know I'd have to work too hard right by their side to get them first motivated to do something and then get them to finish it, so we have yet to enter the reflections contest or join 4-H or anything besides the dance lessons we get free. Boy, am I lazy or what?

Anonymous said...

You are too funny. I love the way you write. You say what we all think and you are NORMAL! Hope Grace does good...and I hope you do too. It is a team effort:)

Anonymous said...

Well, it's my turn for total honestly Shea... I was always a bit jealous when your girls won their PTA Reflections contests (happy for them, but yeah a bit like "hey my kid could do that too!"). My daughter never won a PTA contest but she also never entered one because I was always too busy to help. So this year when the info came home I talked to her about it. The theme IS tough. What the heck do they want?! Sam waffled about it. She threw out a pretty good suggestion which I kind of shrugged at (great Mom, huh?!) but then decided it was too much work and she just didn't feel like it. I was really annoyed and approached it again another day but got the same response. I was just about to put more pressure on when I realized that I was forcing this on her for no good reason! If she didn't want to do it, why was I even wasting the time talking about it for the third time?! And so, I totally and completely know how you feel so cut yourself a break... OR... you could freak out and say "man! I'm just like Dori?!" hahahaha

Anonymous said...

See Dori you are better than me because you let it go. Today was much better.Grace worked on her story at school and Hanna came home wanting to paint a picture.I didn't even have to say anything.I wish I would have handled things better yesterday. - Shea

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add that I kind of have up on the theme and let them do what they want.

Lori-Ann said...

LOL! That is hilarious Shea and I can totally relate. My poor son has to play hockey 4 times a week so one day he can play in the NHL and I can claim to be his biggest fan. (He's only 5!! I have to remind myself of that) I hope the girls do well in the contest for you though. lol!