Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The stink of champions

This winter I started working out quite a lot, first with spinning and then running. I have one Nike Dri-fit top and one pair of Nike running shorts that I really like to run in. I have this thing where I'll only buy workout clothes on sale but they have to be either Dri-fit or some other brand equivalent. TJ Maxx and Ross are a great place to find cheap Nike or Adidas clothes. This one Nike shirt gets a lot of use and I usually only was it once a week because I have to wash it in cold and line dry it. It gets quite ripe after a week of running but it's just me in my basement so I'm not too concerned about the smell. The other day though, it stunk in a bad way. So bad that I decided to wash it immediately. I washed it with my regular tide detergent and then line dried it. I got up the next morning ready to go for a run and started to put my shirt on. I had to stop because it smelled exactly as it had before I washed it! I decided it was time for the interweb to help me out. I googled "how to get smells out of workout clothes" or something like that and found out that I wasn't alone. Apparently you should be washing your workout clothes more than once a week and you really shouldn't throw them into the laundry basket all wet and smelly. I washed them again but the smell was still there. A few sites recommended Win Sport Detergent so I went to Sports Authority and bought some. I'm telling you it worked. My favourite Nike top went from perma-stink to smelling really good. I've run in it since and the smell didn't seep through again. I also stopped putting them in my laundry basket wet, which I think also helps. Oh and I bought another Dri-fit top at Ross, so now I have two to rotate through. Not the most exciting blog ever but if it helps one person out there...


8 comments:

Kristin said...

Good to know. Have you tried outdoor running in your new neighborhood yet?

Shea said...

No outdoor running yet. I'm in kind of a slump since I got sick last week. I got on the treadmill yesterday and could only do 2 miles.

Quinn said...

My mom use to work out all the time. She was an aerobics instructor. Her clothes use to stink too and she would complain about not getting the smell out.

Someday I will get motivated to start. I want a treadmill though. And it isn't in the budget this week.

Susan said...

For stinky clothes & towels I use vinegar in the rinse water. We haven't had any trouble with smell for awhile.

Anonymous said...

Funny. The bottle looks fake, like a Sat Night Live ad.

Kim

Anonymous said...

This *is* an exciting blog entry! LOL! My kids' hockey stuff smells already and they haven't even hit puberty. I'll definitely try this out. Thanks Shea!

Gwen said...

This is a good tip, especially for my teenaged boys! :)

Lori-Ann said...

And I bet it would work well on hockey amd lacrosse jerseys...thanks for the tip!!