Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Whoever said "less is more" had probably never had quite enough "more"

I'm feeling a little disappointed in Spring Break this year because it's not spring like at all out. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 45 and snowing/raining. At least I don't have to go to work. I've been spending a lot of time filling out my online application and tweaking my resume because, "Snoop Dog needs to get herself a real jobby job." I'm really hoping to get a teaching job this year but it might be tough since some districts are instituting a hiring freeze. I might just end up working at Starbucks. Ryan reminds me that I don't have to work but I like having the extra money and adult conversation. Plus I'm 35 and it's time to put that expensive education to work.

I went to the doctor the other day for the first time in over a year. I had a sinus infection (surprise!) and we were in desperate need of prescription refills. I just think the doctor is a painful experience all around. The part I hate is the weigh in. I always weigh more on the doctor's scale, plus it's usually at the end of the day, fully clothed, after I've drank a 44oz diet Pepsi. It wasn't that bad which means the running/eating better has been paying off. The nurse takes me into the room, looks at my chart and says, "Are you still on Xanax?" I tell her, "I'm not on Xanax. I had a prescription for 30 that lasted me over a year." The doctor comes in a few minutes later, looks at my chart and says, "Are you still on the Xanax?" Okay by now I'm getting a little defensive. I'm not a freakin' drug addict. Just someone who has a little anxiety now and then and uses half a Xanax to keep me from having a full-blown panic attack. So I say, (a little too quickly and loudly) "I'm not on Xanax! I had 30 pills that lasted me since the last time I was here over a year ago." He quickly responds with, "Oh! Okay well we'll get you a refill, all right?" Yes, give the crazy baby her bottle and shut up about the Xanax. If he would have questioned me much more I would have told him my tragic story about why I needed the Xanax in the first place. They'd be throwing the pills at me. Funny thing is, I still haven't filled the prescription. Maybe I am really cured.

I'm thinking about getting the girl's ears pierced. Ryan wanted them to wait until they were 21 but they have been asking it about it lately and when their cousin Beth showed up with hers pierced, they were really anxious. So what are your opinions on the subject? I was 10 when I got mine pierced and Hanna will be 10 this year. I'd just do them together though. My fear is that they'll look too grown up. I want them to stay little girls forever.

I thought this was a cute picture of the cousins sleeping in the same bed together. Reminds me of when I would sleep over at my Gram's house with my cousin Chelle.

13 comments:

Our little family said...

I got my ears pierced when I was 10. We had to wait until we were 10 so that we could take care of them ourselves. Turned out I'm allergic to metal, so I no longer have pierced ears, just ears that were once pierced. But I'm thinking about letting Liz and Megan pierce their ears if they want to. Liz is almost 8. I think she's old enough to take care of them herself, I would just not let her buy big "teenager" earrings. That's my opinion.

The Roelofs said...

Hey Shea, this is a funny subject in our house also. Neil does not think there is a need for them to get their ears pierced. I say I had it done and it is fine. They once in a while they ask us about it. Anyway, Good luck with the decision. If my girls grow up and rebel by getting their ears pierced when they are older I will count myself lucky. Take Care and good luck with finding a job.

Chelle said...

ahhh sleepovers at grams...which then reminds me of the treasure and scavenger hunts...what great memories.

I say peirce their ears. If they want them done and they understand how they need to take care of them, then do it. It won't make them look too grown up. That's my oppinion.

Chelle said...

Oh and xanax ROCKS! The best part about that drug is that you don't have to take it every day at the same time and you don't have to worry about if you go off it, the chance you'll go homicidal or suicidal. You could take it one time in a year if you needed to and you'd be fine. So, I say be proud to have that prescription, fill it and have it readily available when you need it. That also is only my opinion...

Anonymous said...

Things have gone well with Beth's ears so far - no problems except for the initial misplaced piercing. She has bought about 12 pairs of earings on the trip so far.
If you don't need that xanax I could give it a good home.
Good luck with the teaching application. You can totally do it so don't doubt yourself.
Becky

Ter said...

I was 10 when I got mine pierced, Or maybe I was 9. Anyway. you couldn't pay me to do it now, but at the time I just wanted to wear earrings but now as much as like earrings, I can not bring myself to put them in my ear because it totally creeps me out that there's a HOLE there. Anytime I've put earrings in my ears as an adult, I have nearly fainted or puked because the thought of the hole just creeped me out. Make sure they realize that there'll be a HOLE in their EARS maybe they will change their mind. most girls that age only see the pretty earrings... they don't fully grasp the "hole in the ear" concept!

Shea said...

Ter, I will explain to them that there is a hole. Don't want them throwing up later in life. :)

Chelle, I will refill the prescription because with all this job stuff I know I'm going to need it.

Susan said...

I was 13 when I got my ears pierced. My sister's ears were down when she was 11 and that's because I did it. My first job was at Afterhoughts (very similar to Claires) and part of the job was piercing ears. Anyway, I've told Annalise that she can have hers done as soon as she wants it. I have been a little sneaky though because I've told her how painful ear piercing can be. So now she's not so excited about having it done.

Kristin said...

We haven't decided on when to allow the ear piercing thing either. Sophie was just asking about it yesterday. I was 8 or 9.

The doctor was probably wishing that you had taken a Xanax before your appointment. LOL. I am impressed that you stretched 30 pills out to last an entire year. I have never tried one but it seems like something that would be nice to have on hand.

Cute picture.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha I'm LMAO at your dr comments. I would be the same way! I think it's great you know your limits and have something to help if you need it. Sure doesn't sound like you've needed it lately though! And you had a very good reason for getting the prescription in the first place!!

I got my ears pierced when I was 12 and was planning on waiting until then for Samantha to get hers pierced. Turns out she went out one day with her dad's girlfriend and they got them pierced. Nice. Her aunt got her tons of girly earrings (nothing with hoops or dangles) but her skin is too sensitive for them so she can only wear one good pair of diamond stud earrings her father got her. I don't think she looks much older because of them (the braces took care of that!) but they have to be ready to take care of them. It was just one more thing I had to remind her about daily. UGH!

Natalie said...

I got my ears pierced when I was three (Hailey was 18 months). My Grandma Gibson was a jeweler and had the gun to do it. So... up on the kitchen table I went and presto, two lovely little holes in my ears. The rule for us was that we could only wear the gold studs that were initially put in- hoops or dangly earrings were out, probably until sometime in junior high when the big hoops were in. No biggie. I see no reason not to get Whitney's ears pierced right about now, but Kevin thinks it's sleazy. We'll see...

Shea said...

I'm sure you were all waiting on pins and needles but I got it done today. They did great, didn't even flinch and they look adorable. I'll blog about it sometime. The rule in our house is also no dangly earrings until they are much older. I'm liking the little studs but I don't want much more than that. I was with Kevin, Natalie. I thought it looked sleazy but it really isn't that big of a deal if you get little earrings.

Kim S said...

Hmmm. 45 degrees for spring break? Sounds like you live in Chicago! Welcome to our world. It snowed the week after Eli's spring break. Sucks!

I was 13 or 14 when I got my ears pierced. My mom had told me for years I had to wait until I was 16! When she gave me a pair of pierced earrings when I was 13 or 14, I had pretty much lost interest. But I still had it done.