Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Back from first day of work

I'm back subbing again since no one would hire me for a real job. I guess I only put my name on the list for one 1/2 time kindergarten job but still it stung when I didn't get the call. Subbing really isn't that bad and I love the flexibility. I wish it paid as much as it does in Canada but I do ok. I'm basically making $10/hour which is better than I'd do working at Walmart which, by the way, would leave me feeling slightly suicidal at the end of a day. At least with subbing I am actually doing what I (and my parents) paid thousands of dollars to BYU to train me to do.

Last night I told Ryan I had three things I wanted to do with my money. I wanted to get the carpet and furniture cleaned, buy a new entertainment center and get some new pants. (What?! I need pants for work!) I have this thing where I think dirty furniture=white trash. We've had our cotton sofa for over five years now and it has a few spots on it, plus it's cotton which I would never purchase again. Leather all the way baby! We also have a chair that is lighter fabric and the girls always put their dirty little hands on the one arm. Then there is the spot in our bedroom where Grace projectile vomited and even though we used a Bissel carpet cleaner on it, it refuses to leave. After we get the furniture cleaned I'm buying plastic coverings for it all. Ha! I'm not but that would be funny. I think I finally found the entertainment center I want. I saw it at R.C. Willey yesterday when Karen was shopping for new furniture item #68. Karen works at R.C. Willey and has said she will get me a "killer deal" on it. I think I deserve it because I hurt my arm screwing in door knobs for her yesterday. Workers comp? So whenever I hesitate to book a new sub job I'm going to picture our old entertainment center ignited in flames and me staring at our new beautiful one.

Isn't she sweet?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome - how big a tv can it hold? Who did you sub today? Did I tell you I am quitting my library job to more more of my other job? Today is making me glad there is an end in sight - I am tired of being free child care for the town. It's gonna be a long night. Don't kids ever have to go home for supper?
Becky

Anonymous said...

Hey - are those easter bunnies still around? Maybe you can do some kind of art project involving flames and bunies and entertainment centres.

Anonymous said...

funny comment above!

I really like the entertainment center, a lot. Karen gives awsome deals. What a good friend! I am still laughing at the carpet stain that Grace Graciously laid out for you....nice!

Good for you for going back to work. My mom did subbing for years. It works and it sounds like your trying to ease back into the whole full time work thing anyway....or atleast you can use that as an excuse if anyone ask.

Susan said...

Very nice entertainment center! You laugh about the plastic covering over furniture but my grandmother had plastic over her couches. Visiting her in the summer (in Virginia) was the worst as your legs & arms would stick to the plastic when you sat on the couches.

Ter said...

I love the entertainment centre. I'm looking for one myself, perferably one that doesn't drain my bank account, oh that's right, there's no money in my bank account. haha (well not much. ;) ) but definately like that one. :)

Good luck with your subbing. :)

and you know, if you put plastic on your furniture, you're officially an old lady, so, please, don't do it! ;)

Jen Sue Wild said...

I like the entertainment center.
I am glad that you were able to start subbing again.
I saw your blog on the SHARE .
I hope you don't mind me popping by to say Hi.
momaof8

Shea said...

Hi Jen! I'm going to check out your blog more extensively later. Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

If ever you want to feel classy, come slum at my house! The carpet is disgusting and we have a "smell" we can't get rid of. Who do you call for that? No seriously, we don't know.