Saturday, September 29, 2007

Brain not working

The blog idea God's have not been smiling down on me lately so I'm "borrowing" an entry from Mimi Smartypants that I think is hilarious. If you don't read Mimi's blog you're missing out on some great writing. Santaquin doesn't produce the kind of moms she's talking about (yet) but we have instead, the ultra-competitive/screaming parent. I find that they both have their charms.

HERE COMES THE SNARK

Speaking of gender trappings, are women still supposed to be catty and judgmental? I will get right on that, starting now. Saturday I am standing on the sidelines giggling like MAD at the little-kid soccer, and this woman shows up late, sort of inserts her kid into the middle of a group drill without talking to the coach or anything, and then takes her giant Mary-Kate sunglasses and even more giant latte over to stand near me. She is holding a small pink-and-white basketball.

Basketball Lady: I brought a ball but they didn't want it! They said it had to be a soccer ball.
Me: WELL, DUH Yeah, every kid has to bring a ball.
BL: We signed up late, and then I got a call on WEDNESDAY NIGHT telling me to bring a soccer ball on SATURDAY MORNING. [ed. note: soccer starts at noon.] I said, How am I supposed to do that? I'm a WORKING MOTHER.
Me [nicest possible smile in an effort to control myself]: Oh, we just got ours at Target. They're actually pretty easy to find.
BL: But I WORK!
Me [another sunny, terribly insincere smile]: Me too.

I wandered off then, as I just couldn’t take it anymore, but what the hell? Does she work on an oil rig or something? She could not make a Target run with only two-and-a-half days' advance notice? The kids are too little yet to be embarrassed by things like this, but just wait until this mom is all like, "Oh, you're supposed to have a graphing calculator? Here's a curling iron, good enough." "Signed permission slip and bag lunch? I think I will send this rubber band and a few packs of cigarettes. What do they want from me? I'm a WORKING MOTHER!"

3 comments:

Ter said...

haha

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I love her honesty!

Jen Sue Wild said...

That was good1