Saturday, January 19, 2008

Me? Negative? That sucks!

At dinner with a friend last night, she told me that her first impression of me was that I seemed "negative". I still don't really know what that means and would rather had she said "bitchy" or "mean" because those words I understand. It's not the first time in my life I've had people tell me that their first impression of me was not stellar. I had one woman in our church tell me she thought I looked "stuck-up". This is the curse of the shy person and I've dealt with it my entire life. The thing that makes it worse is that my natural resting face has a look of contempt. I can't even count how many times someone has told me to "smile" or "look happy". I've even practiced my resting face and have tried to make it look more friendly but I just feel like a freak, plus it takes a lot of effort to contort my face that way. I like smiling and Ryan tells me I have a beautiful smile so it's not like it's not possible for me to look naturally happy. Karen told me that she's going to start hugging people more and while I think that is insane because hugging is just not right with all that touching and all, I do think it would be good to have a happier look about me. So my new goal is to whip out the "happy face" more. Watch out world!

Crazy Happy Shea!
Hmmm...Stoned Wheat Thins

Not so happy but not quite the "contempt face" yet.
I think we know who is unhappy in this picture.
BTW I made my skirt.

Getting there. Yes that is my Grandma who gave me none of her tall genes.

There it is! The face that has made complete strangers think I'm negative or stuck-up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So your new goal of smiling all the time combined with your 2008 resolution to use more cuss words should be interesting. You'll be throwing out profanities while grinning all over the neighborhood. I like it. Keep 'em guessing.

Shea said...

The smiling and cussing is going to be an odd combo. I'm not doing too well with the swearing. I need you here to help me out.

Ter said...

I find that in most posed photos the smiles are so fake! Whenever I look at a photo of me smiling in a posed photo it looks so unnatural, and then if I see a photo of me in a pic where I didn't expect a photo to be taken, it looks alot different! And like you, my "resting" face is not all smiley either!

Anonymous said...

I say hooray for negative people. I get it all the time, too. "Why don't you smile more?", and "Are you mad?", and "You look so mean all the time. That's why people don't talk to you?". Oh well.

Shea said...

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Anonymous said...

Love the evolution of the snarly face. You and your mom look like cute little pipsqueaks w/granny. Tell Karen it's okay if she thinks we're the weird internet friends. I think it goes with the territory.

Kim