Sunday, February 25, 2007

What Not to Wear




There was a question on my February board asking what your worst fashion mistake was. It got me thinking about mistakes I've made in my life fashion wise. I do think I have a really bad one but it wasn't documented on film. I cut off a pair of white Levi 501s that had been dyed pink. Then I paired that with a black mock turtleneck and a pair of my dad's black dress socks. The socks came up past my knees. I thought this was beyond cool and wore it often. What makes it worse than anything else I've done is that I had three friends that would wear almost the same thing. One day my mom drove us in to Raymond where my boyfriend lived and when we went to pick up said friends, they all had "the outfit" on and so did I. I remember feeling so stupid that we were wearing matching outfits. I doubt I ever wore it again. To this day I really have an aversion to matching clothes. I'm going to post some pictures of bad fashion I sported in my teenage years. The one above is about 1991. I was coming out of the "I wear black out the outside because black is how I feel on the inside mock turtleneck phase". Those jeans are $60 Guess jeans that I spent my hard earned money on. The sweater I bought on a band trip to Pocatello, ID. I wonder if my glasses could be any bigger? The peace sign I'm flashing brings the outfit together.



I found a picture of the pink cut off shorts but not paired with the black socks and mockneck. I remember I bought that shirt at Benneton in Calgary and thought it was fabulous. I wore it a lot. Yes we are wearing shorts in the snow. It could have been the middle of July in Waterton. I just noticed that my legs are the same color as my shorts.


This is what I thought was "cool" circa 1990. Note the horrible haircut, oversized blazer, very pegged jeans, black mock turtleneck and black clunky shoes.


Yes this outfit was a frequent one. I bought this sweater at Value Village (thrift store) in Lethbride and thought it was rad. The hat I wore a lot also and still have. I must have really liked the cut off 501 since I'm sporting it here also. Question is: Where was this photo taken? I expect all Southern Albertans to know this one.


I've already posted this picture but I wanted to show the horrible choices in it. Matching outfits is the first, all denim is the second and the headband is the third.


Moving into my hooker phase. Just kidding! This was my outfit for 80's disco skating night at Classic Skating in Orem. It was Noelle's surprise birthday party in January 1993. That's a pretty cool outfit to find at Savers don't you think? The coat was real suede.



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Those fashions brings back so many memories! I think you and I had the same haircut for awhile, no joke! "The Wedge Cut" Looks RAD!

Shea said...

I have no idea who posted the comment above. Anyone want to help me out?

Anonymous said...

It's the birthday girl!!!

Lori-Ann said...

Shea- that is too funny. Makes me want to go back and look at how poorly dressed I used to be - not that I'm a fashion queen now but I've had to have gotten better. Thanks for sharing the photos!!

Nicole said...

OMG! I love those picture's!!!!

Carol said...

Oh I recognize those fashions!! I used to pin the bottom of my pants too with safety pins. The tighter the better. I had Benetton top that I loved too. It is fun to look back and remember isn't it?LOL!

Anonymous said...

To Carol: You reminded me of the safty pins. I forgot I used to use them too. I would use about 20 on each leg. That is so funny! Jonesie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Shea. It is really funny that I don't remember you as dressing that tasteless. I do remember the oversized sweat shirts of your early teen years and the Sally Ann coats. mom

Master-Control-Pogram said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It was My hubby Mark teasing you!! Amanda

Shea said...

Ok that's a tad bit creepy Amanda. I was worried I had some weirdo lurking on the blog who was going to stalk and kill my family. I'm relieved now.

Anonymous said...

Fun Times! I think that you are one of those lucky people that look good in anything.

Anonymous said...

Shea:

Nice pictures. I have several of my own I could add. To your credit I took all my fashion cues from my friends in Magrath. Heaven knows NO ONE in Raymond had any sense of style (hope I'm not ruffling any feathers here).

On another note I think you should tell your friends about cruising from Magrath to Raymond in my 1958 Ford and having it start on fire on main street. That was a great time.

Cheers,

Darin