Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Manual Labour and Some Kittens

Yesterday my parents told me I could earn some money if I spread two inches of mulch under the pine trees in the front yard. There are about six pine trees which I didn't think would be too bad plus I can always use some spending money. This morning after my run I started shoveling and spreading mulch. It wasn't too bad because it's the west side of the house which is shady in the morning. Stilli was working up quite a sweat and my back was starting to really hurt. After I had finished three trees my dad came out with the riding lawnmower that has a cart attached. I filled that up and he dumped it for me under the bigger trees. I finally finished which was good because my back was really starting to hurt from all the shoveling of mulch. My mom said that I could do the rest tomorrow. I said "What?! You told me to put two inches of mulch under the front pine trees and that's what I did." She then started saying that the pile of mulch needed to be gone to which I argued that was not part of the deal. My mom was trying to add extra work for the same price. I told her if I would have known that was part of the deal I would have upped my price. The lesson my mom learned is that you need to be clear when you are dealing with labourers and I learned that my mom is one shrewd business lady.

Today when Becky and I were on our run by the river we detoured up this little path and at the top of the path was a little pile of fuzzy kittens. Three little kittens huddled together and when I saw them I about had a cuteness heart attack. They were wild so they wouldn't let me catch them. I was talking about those kittens the whole way home. I sent mom and Hanna back to catch one and bring it home but they couldn't get one either. It made my morning to have that little surprise of cute.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if we left at 9, and you posted this at 10, you are making longshoreman-type wages - maybe you should go into this professionally. Sounds pretty lucrative.

Lori-Ann said...

Sounds like they've really put you to work. lol!! The kittens sound very cute. I hope you are enjoying your time with your parents.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to verify Shea's near 'cuteness heart attack' - in an uncharacteristically Shea-like babytalk stream of soothing speak in a vain attempt to catch those wascally kittenz.
Becky

Anonymous said...

They were so cute! Thanks for outing me though. I like people to think I'm heartless and cold. -shea