Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Marge, anyone could miss Canada, all tucked away down there.

As many of you are aware I'm spending a few weeks at my parents house in Magrath, Aberta which is in this little country to the north of the United States. I grew up in said Canada which I'm pretty proud of and so are the vast majority of other Canadians living abroad or at home. I think sometimes "Americans" think they have the monopoly on patriotism but I can tell you that Canadians are very patriotic but are much more subtle about it. I'm so patriotic that I can't even say the pledge of allegiance in the U.S. without feeling like I'm somehow betraying my Canadian roots. It's also no secret that Canadians usually don't care much for Americans especially when they say stupid things like Canada is the 51st state. There is nothing more repulsive to a Canadian than the thought of being a part of the United States. We are very proud of our identity even if we are not really all that different from our neighbors. Obviously I'm fond of americans since I married one, fraternize with some and am the mother of two half-americans. The reason I'm writing this post is because of what I see everytime I drive into Magrath which is this:




It makes me happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put Shea - very touching and succinct. I am almost tearing up thinking of our national anthem and when I see those Mounties at the head of a parade I get choked up. It is indeed a good land.
Becky

Anonymous said...

That sign is so funny. It looks like a mobile home with that saying on the back. How your get together go?

Anonymous said...

Hey Shea. I am catching up on your blog since my parents have not got the internet out on the farm. I saw this. I feel the same way about the pledge of allegience. I can't really say the whole thing thinking it may somehow mean I don't want to be canadian anymore. Anyway, I enjoyed that sign coming into Magrath. We got home last night. I will talk to you again! Carrie