Monday, July 30, 2007

Now That's Progress!

Hanna and Grace both has some spending money that was burning a hole in their pockets so today we took them into town (that's Lethbridge) to let them spend it up. Hanna really wanted some cowboy boots but I had a feeling she didn't have enough money for any. Dad suggested we try Progress which I thought was a great idea. I don't know how to explain this place to those who haven't been in it but it's quite the experience. It's been here for as long as I can remember and as a child, well honestly still, I was terrified of it. It seemed to me that the owners of the store were suspicious of and annoyed by every person who came in, especially teenagers. They basically followed you around the store making you feel uncomfortable until you gave up and left. The merchandise is also quite unusual and interesting. I guess I would say it is kind of a construction worker/cowboy/Hutterite apparel store. The owners are from another country and I asked several members of my family where that country might be and none of them knew. The only thing my dad knew is that they were Jewish and I don't know how reliable his information is nor does that really help narrow down their country of origin. Becky said they are usually nice to her and while they aren't mean it's more of an abruptness that leaves you feeling like you did something wrong. Anyway back to today's story. Hanna had $36 to spend on cowboy boots and the boots at progress were $40 and $50. One of the owners came up to us and asked us what we were looking for, I told him boots, and he told me that they were on sale. I said that they were too much, that she only had $30 to spend. He kind of grunted which I took to mean "oh well." Ryan and I started to leave and the owner called us back saying that he would look and see what they had in her size. He found a pair that fit and said "ok you can have them for $30 because they are the last pair." He then ushered us up to the front to pay (even though we weren't really done shopping) and i gave him exactly $30. Hanna was elated and I left realising this was my first venture into "bartering".


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet boots! Seeing how much she is into horses and now boots, you would have thought she was raised on a ranch and listened to country music in your van. The boots do look darling on her. She'll fit right in when she comes home.

Susan said...

Cute boots! Now she's set to ride in style.

Nicole said...

They are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is a great story! I love your description of the shop owners. :) I'm so glad she was able to get some boots. Way to go Shea! I'm sure she'll remember that forever!

torch said...

oi vey progress! i have rarely ever told any shop owner to F.O. except in progress. as the legend goes joel bikman's grandpa sold these guys his land back in the day and so they always give joel the sweet hook ups but everything you describe is exactly as it was 10 - 20 years ago. we used to go there and buy huteritte hats and other crazy crap. when vintage clothing and polyester shirts were in style you could go there and get them new, as in unused from the 70's. this store puts mr. mac to shame as far as creepy salespeople following you around. i have no idea how they stay in business. they really do make you feel like crap whether you buy something or not. but if you need a sturdy pair of slacks this is the place brigham. good times indeed.