Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Had No Idea

I asked my friend Amanda if I could write a blog about her Dad's involvement in Civil War re-enactment and she said I could. I first found out about the whole thing when Amanda talked at a church function on traditions. She said that before she got married her dad liked them to take photos with their fiance both in Civil War dress. I'm sure this came as a shock to the unsuspecting fiance. I thought it was cool though. So here are some pictures of Amanda, her husband Mark and her Dad. The description of the photos are Amanda's words.


Here is the begining of it all. This is Dad and Mom in College before they were married. Dad developed a love for the Civil War when he was about 14 and then when he went to Dental School in Kentucky it just fed it. He took and intrest in the Medical part of the War and plays the Doctor and Dentist when Re-enacting. Mom always watched from a distance and supported him and I played his assistant. It was good times with him! This is his passion.


This is a picture of my Dad taken last fall at a re-enactment. The camera used to take this picture was an original that dates back to the early 1800's.


Mark playing Medical Surgeon and I am his assistant. Love the fake blood!


Mark and I on the grounds of an old Civil War home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, I feel like a celebrity. Mark was such a good sport that day. His mom was so confussed on why he came back to Kentucky to visit me and had to take them. They (his parents) then came and visited and went to one of my Dad's Civil War re-enactments. I think they understood. Mark admits now he thought it was pretty funny then. Hmmmm, what you do to get on the good graces of your future in-laws.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda - are you from Kentucky? If so what part?I lived for a time in Flatwoods - home of Billy Ray Cyrus. It was awesome. Those are some great pics of you guys.
Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, we lived in Berea (which is 45 minutes south of Lexington. I went to Cosmetology school in London Ky down by Corbon and also lived in Elizabethtown which is close to Louisville. I MISS IT SO MUCH! Those white fences and rolling hills of green on the interstate....gorgeous! I have heard of Flatwoods, but never been there I don't think.

Nicole said...

Wow, that is pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Well - I was mostly just around the WV/OH/KY border - it was very hilly there - not really so rolling - I actually got car sick once while I was driving. THe Ohio River valley was beautiful, but with the Ironton coal/Armco steel plants, the pollution was kind of a drag. I had some good times there and met a lot of great people.
Becky

Anonymous said...

Hey, where is the Camry plant? I knew some people whose daughter worked there and won a car and gave it to them.
Becky

Anonymous said...

The Camery plant is in Georgetown Kentucky. That's where my Dad had his fisrt Dental Clinic before he went into the Air Force. It is pretty there, but has grown so much. I want a free car!!!!!

Tyla'sMommy said...

Looks so realistic.