Saturday, May 12, 2007

So Very Sad Songs

I got this list of Exquistely Sad Songs off Dooce and I did get melancholy listening to many of them. I still listen to "Nothing Compares To You" often and it always brings me back to a summer in high school. I remember driving around Magrath in my dad's ford truck getting emotional listening to it. Beck's "Lost Cause" is also one that gets me down. Ahh "Shilo", where do I start? I was pretty much raised on Neil Diamond and listening to him brings back a lot of memories. I was never neglected to the point of having to hang out with an imaginary friend but Shilo is a cool name for one. I remember "Brick" by Ben Folds Five got a lot of airtime on local radio. I wonder if many realised it was about taking his girlfriend to get an abortion? Now that's depressing. I'm sure some of you know this but I like The Smiths just a little and "I Know It's Over" was listened to many a time by teenage me. In fact it was on a "sleep tape" I made that I went to sleep to almost every night in high school. I also listened to this song a lot thinking about unrequited high school love. The Beatles "Eleanor Rigby" leaves me feeling close to suicidal everytime I happen to hear it. I'd love to hear some of your "sad songs" and I'm going to think about more of mine.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shea - so many to choose from. Actually I just remembered one time I was on my way to meet you guys in Lethbridge for Chinese food when you were up for Christmas and I was listening to "Motorway to Roswell" and I just cried thinking about that poor alien just out for a spin and ending up dead in some Army crates.
But I guess maybe I will just start making a list, mostly chronological from my experience.
The first song to make me cry was probably "Silent Night" because it was so beautiful.
Then there was repeated listenings to Christopher Cross' "Sailing" on LP at a friend's house as a preteen.
Then moving into Smith/ Cure country - "Last Night I dreamt Somebody Loved Me", Unhappy Birthday - actually a whole lot of Strangeways. Then Cure's "All Cat's Are Grey"
Cowboy Junkies version of "Powderfinger" makes me sad - that's a great song.
"Old Man" by Neil Young
Well I could go on but will stop there for now.
Talk to you later.
Becky

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way about "Motorway to Roswell"
http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=43111

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sinead's song makes me sad too. I also thought it was cool that she cries at the end.

I think that songs that I think are sad would be The Smith's "Death of a Disco Dancer" which is also off Strangeways and "There is a Light that Never Goes Out". Morrissey's "LAte Night, Maudlin Street" also makes me think about unrequited love.

I also Think The song "You and Your Sister" by This Mortal Coil (sung by Kim Deal) is a very sad song.

-Monti

Anonymous said...

You want to know what's really sad?????? I haven't heard of any of the songs you listed or any of the other Blogger's songs? Now that's just sad! Where have I been?

Shea said...

I was thinking about it last night and there are a lot of sad songs out there. I swear any 70's soft rock song played on the radio gets me teary. I think voices have a lot to do with it also. Joni Mitchell's voice gets me and also Aimee Mann's (especially "Save Me") "Unloveable" by The Smiths also Please Let Me Get What I Want. "Lonesome Town" by Ricky Nelson. "Lovesong" by The Cure but mainly because of personal memories. "Come, Come Ye Saints" mostly because of Trek and also thinking about how the pioneers suffered. "Levi Stubbs Tears" by Billy Bragg gets me depressed. "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie is a new one that has been making me cry. If you haven't heard it yet I recommend a listen. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by Cowboy Junkies. Many a Morrissey and Smiths song also. I could go on but I won't.

Shea said...

Monti I agree with you on the Mortal Coil song. It's a good one. Sailing??!! That is too funny Becky. Ryan also has a strange love of that song.

Anonymous said...

Joni Mitchell's "Little Green" is heart breaking - in retrospect I think it is probably written about the daughter she gave up for adoption. I am tearing up just thinking about it.
Becky

noelle said...

i feel like crying whenever i hear the titanic soundtrack... oh wait, that's because celine dion gets on my nerves :)

but seriously, good list. and now i must go listen to some smiths and cure. i love 'please let me get what i want' and 'vincent of jersey' by big head todd

Anonymous said...

"Brick" is a sad one. I know that your not a big country fan but nothing makes me cry like country music. When I was like five years old, I had this little vinyl I would play over and over by Dolly Parton about a little girl and her dog who are abandoned and come to a neighbors house for refuge during a storm. They both die that night so the dog won't be lonely when the angels take the little girl. Pretty sad.

I think the songs that make me cry the most are those with a personal connection. "When you say nothing at all" because they played it at my 19 year old cousins funeral. Some REM songs that really aren't that sad in and of themselves but I spent a lot of time listening to them while my parents were battling in the other room before they divorced. Nice post to start my day,Shea. I think that I will go back to bed and cry for awhile. LOL

Shea said...

Noelle you had me worried for a minute. Kristin, buck up little camper.